1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Mar 1, 2020.

1. chainsaw

I didn’t say you were en echo chamber but the statement itself is turning into one. The person who came up with it is a genius, no one will question it because it is in regard to both kids and mental health. I will say it again, there are honestly as many kids who are nervous as hell to be in school (high school level in my personal experience) and their anxiety etc is through the roof. You have no idea how many phone calls and conversations I have had with parents and their kids over the last ~2 years of this. Not every kid is excited to be going to school. I’m not making it up, really. And TBH if you met me in my profession, you would have no idea I have the concerns I do. That does not enter my workplace

You also need to re read, I said I’m not for online learning. Short term ok fine (like in the middle of the largest outbreak we have faced, but seem to have thrown our hands in the air as a province) it wouldn’t hurt. With what I teach online is a no go (nothing meaningful can be done) but also even with in person going back, they still will not be able to go to coop placements because the community will not want them in their workplace coming from a school. That’s pretty telling in itself, they are contaminated because they are students. That’s been the biggest hurdle over all of this. School is open but kids can’t complete coop because hardly anyone, if anyone is willing to take them in because they are WFH or the students are to risky to have in So again I’m not looking for online.
    Again not to continue it, but when people say a majority want. How do we know it is a majority other than listening to those that bark the loudest and we have turned into downplaying or making people that have concerns or fears feel degraded and that they are overreacting while the loudest are sitting in pretty safe, dare is say privileged (I know I threw up in my mouth a little) positions

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  2. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

My daughter has a severe anxiety disorder but we’ve managed her anxiety on this one by doing things like investing in KN95 masks for her to use at school and she’s double vaccinated and lined up to get her booster. So, yes, I’m aware of the negative anxiety of being in the schools during the pandemic but with the effort, even she is dreading the idea of going back to online.

Without doing a formal vote you won’t know if it’s the majority who want to stay in school - I’m just saying that with all the high school aged parents and teachers I’ve talked to, and it’s a lot, it’s 100% “no online, please god no, not online.” I know parents with younger kids are a little more nervous but… kids who are otherwise healthy and are vaccinated have a lower chance of dying or even severe symptoms than they do dying from getting in a car with their newly licensed friends so…

3. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Off the school topic, made it back to Seattle with zero issues. Stressful, especially with Seattle winning “cancelled flight” daily records worldwide between Covid and cold/snow the city doesn’t know how to deal with.

4. chainsaw

I’m glad those strategies worked for your daughter. That’s great.
    I’m glad the people you talk to feel that way, but that is your circle and not everyone. I wish I had access to their crystal ball and also that people would realize that the fact that their world views do not represent everyone’s no matter how loudly or how many times they say it ;)
    Glad to hear you made it back home with no issues.

5. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

chainsawchainsaw - One realization I have in our differing opinion here - in Seattle, kids had a full year of online school as opposed to relatively brief periods that schools in Nova Scotia went through. So, perhaps your assertion that a short period online in Nova Scotia is fine.

Online in Seattle was horrible and is resoundingly viewed as a last stop option to be avoided at all costs. It has nothing to do with some lone loud voice you seem to think is shouting over top of everyone. It was literally horrid, kids were committing suicide, and no one really learned a thing. Going online is viewed as a slippery slope of “online for a couple of weeks will quickly turn into *rest of the school year*”

All to say - the discussion in Nova Scotia is very different than it is here. I do talk to teachers and parents in Nova Scotia who are against going to online - thinking about it, most are in a more rural setting where online isn’t even an option - my sister in law and her husband, for example, are both teachers, and don’t have Internet at home, either for trying to teach or for their 2 kids.

chainsaw likes this.
  6. chainsaw

I guess that’s the point I was trying to get across without being an asshole lol. I’m sure there’s a huge difference between here and Seattle when it comes to education period. I’ll be the first to admit, the first lockdown online learning was a joke. It was literally throw an assignment in Google Classroom every couple of days, and be available an hour a day for video meets if needed (at the high school level). But Churchill (Ed Min) at the time said kids wouldn’t be penalized for not doing work, the kids at high school level packed it in. It wasn’t ideal the second time, but it was much more productive. The students had their class at the regular time with teachers. Again it wasn’t ideal for anyone but honestly the learning continued to happen as usual through the computer screen (again except for coop where it was make something somewhat relatable lol).

In regard to rural areas, we definitely are lacking in infrastructure to make online learning feasible and in some of the smaller communities they haven’t been touched by the real pandemic as much as the more urban areas for sure. I see that happening in Glace Bay currently, through most of this people continued as usual because there were very few cases present in the area, and this past week everyone I talk to knows someone or is a close contact of someone who is positive.

I know I get quite wound when it comes to schools, being in the career for 22 going on 23 years I’ve had my fill of the “fuck lazy teachers” mentality of Nova Scotia, it wears on you pretty good over time (I am not insinuating that you fall in that category by any means). And with the It’s the best for kids mental health, kids don’t get sick, it’s really mild on kids so send them messaging, I see that aspect of it but it really says a big F you to the school staff, not just teachers but EPAs who work with mostly unmasked learning centre kids, school bus drivers who aren’t even informed if they are a close contact from their bus, to cafeteria workers where the school population is allowed to be unmasked. It’s like take your chances you should be fine. If there were really measures in place fine, but the ones they have on the books are really more optics at the high school level anyway. The only option the boards give staff (even those going through cancer treatments or severely compromised immune systems) is take a leave without pay. Every other province around us is starting for a short time online (even a week by week basis) and yet with our highest cases count of the region we are going full open with no contract tracing. It really doesn’t make sense or instil safety. Lord even Onterrible is installing HEPA filters in each classroom and providing N95s to staff, Alberta delayed opening and is providing rapid tests and N95s for schools while we say nope its all good lol
    I totally get it’s not great for some kids, and an inconvenience for those that have to go to their workplace and may not be able to find or afford childcare, but when we seemed to throw it all in the wind during our most case intensive outbreak yet it boggles the mind

7. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I don’t want to kick over the hornets nest here but and not trying to stir a pot but honest questions: is there any reason why teachers are not eligible for CERB like other workers have to rely on if the don’t feel safe going to work, and don’t most people by their own masks? Company provided seems more like an exception rather than the rule.

8. chainsaw

Because teachers? But seriously I'm not 100% sure. I would say it comes down to Public Health saying schools are safe. We don't fall under labour law, we fall under the education act, so I assume if Public Health says schools are safe then that's it. We don't get access to EI either unless its a maternity / paternity leave situation and I'm not sure if our LTD falls under Ei as well. And honestly there are enough bad apples (like any other job), that if they had access to CERB they would probably take it leading to staffing issues as well. I haven't seen the number of people out on long term (stress or medical) leave as I have this year. As for the masks, I have been wearing KN95s since November during the start of the last outbreak at my school (cases continued right up until Christmas break). I guess if you want to look at it an employee aspect, wouldn't the employer be responsible for providing at least some appropriate PPE as we have to be in person? K95s or equivalent since it is airborne, and really we should be wearing eye protection of some sort as well since it is airborne and we are in enclosed environments for so long. I think the guidance is somewhere around 6 air changes per hour for ventilation, most of our schools do not have decent ventilation systems (most are older than us) or none at all and rely on windows being open

Not to open another can either, but this was in my twitter feed this am, a Dr ( Pediatric Psychologist and Suicidologist :eek5:) with a differing take on schools are the best place for mental health: It’s from August 2020 so I’m not sure why it has reared itself again but it is a different take
    https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...not-a-mental-health-panacea-for-children.html

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  9. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220102001

Today, January 2, Nova Scotia is reporting 1,893 new cases of COVID-19 since the last update on December 31 – 709 new cases reported Saturday, January 1, and 1,184 today.

On January 1, there were 453 cases in Central Zone, 126 cases in Eastern Zone, 67 cases in Northern Zone and 63 cases in Western Zone. Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) labs completed 5,789 tests.

On January 2, there were 835 cases in Central Zone, 118 cases in Eastern Zone, 104 cases in Northern Zone and 127 cases in Western Zone. NSHA labs completed 5,763 tests.

10. C. Mike Hunt

11. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220103003

Today, January 3, Nova Scotia is reporting 1,020 new cases of COVID-19.

There were 664 cases in Central Zone, 120 cases in Eastern Zone, 104 cases in Northern Zone and 132 cases in Western Zone. The NSHA lab completed 6,303 tests.

There are 36 people in hospital with four in ICU. Since the Omicron variant was first identified in Nova Scotia, 31 people have been admitted to hospital with COVID-19. The remaining five cases were in hospital before Omicron arrived.

12. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

13. 17

teenage dirtbag

Booster on Thursday ftw

14. KMD

KMD

Get mine on Saturday should have gotten it back in Dec but they wouldn't give it to me and I had to rebook :banghead:

17 likes this.
  15. C. Mike Hunt

Nice. Got mine booked for next Wednesday.

16. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Already boostered club!

17. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

100% and best to get it over with omicron.

18. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'll still opt for not getting it at all :o

chainsaw likes this.
  19. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Agreed but I’m not going to stress about it.

20. 17

teenage dirtbag

If it weren’t for the wife and kid being immunocompromised I wouldn’t give a shit at all anymore.

Nick84 and Wayne like this.
  21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Honestly haven't really stressed over covid at all since this thing started. Just been following the advice of the experts.

22. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

As we’ve talked about before, our situations are quite different both because of where we live but also just in our life situation. I’ve also been following the advice of experts but things like a kid struggling massively when school was online can cause a ton of stress.

Boots likes this.
  23. Wayne

Yeah based on most of the cases now omicron which seems to be not affecting the lungs (more like a common cold) I wouldn't give two shits and in fact might actively try to catch it and get it over with...except delta is still out there and I got lots of close senior family members I see often.

24. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I don't think catching it means you'll never get covid again does it?

25. Wayne

Of course not, but really covid is never going away...so the more anti-bodies (via infection or vaccines) you get the better for the long term I would think.

Honestly I am just tired as fuck and barely care anymore, but the next person that creeps up on me and reaches in past me with my kid in the cart...is going to get knocked the fuck out. I don't want my kid in there at all and take him to as few stores as humanly possible, but when I do I expect better behavior than that from people. People are dumb as fuck with no common sense or respect at all.

Boots likes this.
  26. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Instead of starting back to school on Monday, they didn’t start until today - yesterday, they opened rapid Covid testing clinics at all the middle schools and kids could go get tested before heading back. We didn’t send our kids - still have some rapid tests and just did it at home.

My wife is in a book club and one of the people in that group is a nurse who was administering tests - she just messaged the book club group to say the positive test rate was about 50%.

I’m not surprised - at this point, we will all get omnicron- and if you don’t get it, you probably did and we’re asymptomatic.

27. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220104001

Today, January 4, Nova Scotia is reporting 1,020 new cases of COVID-19.

There are 544 cases in Central Zone, 182 cases in Eastern Zone, 141 cases in Northern Zone and 153 cases in Western Zone.

There are 40 people in hospital with five in ICU. Their ages range from 26 to 98 years old, and the average age is 70.

Of those in hospital:

• about 10 per cent have had a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine
    • about 61 per cent are fully vaccinated (two doses)
    • about 3 per cent are partially vaccinated
    • about 26 per cent are unvaccinated
    From January 1 to 3, 102 of 2,913 positive lab results were repeat positives.

The Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is reporting new outbreaks at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital, Northside General Hospital and a new ward at the Victoria General site of the QEII Health Sciences Centre. Less than five patients at each facility have tested positive. All patients are being closely monitored and other infection prevention and control measures are being put in place.

NSHA is reporting additional cases related to an outbreak in a ward at the Halifax Infirmary. There are now 12 patients who have tested positive. All patients are being closely monitored and other infection prevention and control measures are being put in place.

In addition, there are ongoing outbreaks at the Halifax Infirmary, Dartmouth General Hospital, Victoria General site of the QEII Health Sciences Centre, St. Martha’s Regional Hospital in Antigonish and New Waterford Consolidated Hospital. Less than 10 patients at each facility have tested positive. All patients are being closely monitored and other infection prevention and control measures are being put in place. NSHA will provide a further update when more information is available.

As of today, there are an estimated 6,439 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia.

On January 3, NSHA’s labs completed 5,472 tests.

As of January 3, 1,792,946 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 794,915 Nova Scotians have received their second dose, and 134,697 eligible Nova Scotians have received a third dose.

28. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.nshealth.ca/news/potential-exposure-covid-19-one-flight

COVID EXPOSURE NOTIFICATION
    • Air Canada 8104 travelling on Jan. 2 from Montreal (2:30 p.m.) to Halifax (5:57 p.m.). Passengers in rows 1 to 6, seats C, D and F. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Jan. 16.

29. C. Mike Hunt

Somebody posted this on Halifax reddit and I thought it was worth sharing here.

chainsaw and Wayne like this.
  30. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Yeah, it's still possible to get sick-sick. It might even be that this person has Delta, not Omnicron. But... the overwhelmingly vast majority are not.

ie: I'm not actively trying to get it but... my wife and I have tickets to the symphony on Saturday. Are we going? Yep.

31. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220105004

Today, January 5, Nova Scotia is reporting 842 new cases of COVID-19.

There are 498 cases in Central Zone, 141 cases in Eastern Zone, 121 cases in Western Zone and 82 cases in Northern Zone.

There are 45 people in hospital with eight in ICU. Their ages range from 26 to 98 years old, and the average age is 70. Of the 45 in hospital, 40 were admitted during the Omicron wave.

Of those in hospital:

• 5 (11.1 per cent) have had a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine
    • 24 (53.3 per cent) are fully vaccinated (two doses)
    • 2 (4.4 per cent) are partially vaccinated
    • 14 (31.1 per cent) are unvaccinated
    It is important to note that only 10 per cent of Nova Scotians are unvaccinated.

The Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is reporting a new outbreak at Camp Hill Veterans Memorial site of the QEII Health Sciences Centre. Less than five patients at the facility have tested positive. All patients are being closely monitored and other infection prevention and control measures are being put in place.

NSHA is reporting additional cases related to the outbreaks at Northside General Hospital, a ward at New Waterford Consolidated Hospital and a ward at Victoria General site of the QEII Health Sciences Centre. Less than five patients at each facility have tested positive. All patients are being closely monitored and other infection prevention and control measures are being put in place.

In addition, there are ongoing outbreaks at the Halifax Infirmary, Dartmouth General Hospital, Victoria General site of the QEII Health Sciences Centre, St. Martha’s Regional Hospital in Antigonish, New Waterford Consolidated Hospital and Cape Breton Regional Hospital. Less than 12 patients at each facility have tested positive. All patients are being closely monitored and other infection prevention and control measures are being put in place. NSHA will provide a further update when more information is available.

The province is reporting two new outbreaks in long-term care facilities. Public health is working with the facilities to prevent further spread. Increased public health measures and restrictions are in place. The outbreaks are:

• one staff member and seven residents at the New Vision Special Care Home in the Annapolis Valley
    • one staff member and four residents at Waterford Heights in New Waterford.
    Three new cases are being reported at Melville Gardens in Halifax. A total of two residents and six staff members at the facility have tested positive.

As of today, there are an estimated 6,645 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia.

On January 4, NSHA’s labs completed 5,410 tests.

As of January 4, 1,815,283 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 795,461 Nova Scotians have received their second dose, and 155,144 eligible Nova Scotians have received a third dose.

32. C. Mike Hunt

33. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

This was today in CB. The lineup is for quick test kits only. Hysteria has taken control.

34. LMAC

_

ya its been like that here but that's because Ford is only releasing 1000 at a time or something people lining up at 6am and shit

35. Goodson

that is completely laughable. wasting your whole day to do that....

I bet 99% don't even have a single symptom, they just believe they are doing the "right thing".