1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Mar 1, 2020.

1. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20211226001

Today, December 26, Nova Scotia is reporting 1,147 new cases of COVID-19 since the last update on December 24 – 569 new cases yesterday, December 25, and 578 today.

There are a total of 826 cases in Central Zone, 154 cases in Eastern Zone, 96 cases in Northern Zone and 71 cases in Western Zone.

The breakdown from December 25 was: 395 cases in Central Zone, 98 cases in Eastern Zone, 44 cases in Northern Zone and 32 cases in Western Zone.

The breakdown today is: 431 cases in Central Zone, 56 cases in Eastern Zone, 52 cases in Northern Zone and 39 cases in Western Zone.

On December 24, NSHA's labs completed 6,658 tests. On December 25, NSHA's labs completed 4,491 tests.

2. C. Mike Hunt

http://www.nshealth.ca/news/potential-exposures-covid-19-two-flights
    • WestJet 3546 travelling on Sunday, Dec. 19 from Toronto (3:50 p.m.) to Halifax (7:20 p.m.). Passengers in rows 5 to 11, seats A, B, C and D. It is anticipated anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Sunday, Jan. 2.
    • Air Canada 7740 travelling on Thursday, Dec. 23 from Toronto (8:40 a.m.) to Sydney (12 p.m.). Passengers in rows 12 to 16, seats A, B, C and D. It is anticipated anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Thursday, Jan. 6.

3. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20211227001

Today, December 27, Nova Scotia is reporting 581 new cases of COVID-19.

There are 420 cases in Central Zone, 62 cases in Eastern Zone, 42 cases in Northern Zone and 57 cases in Western Zone.

On December 26, NSHA's labs completed 4,851 tests.

The Nova Scotia Health Authority is reporting an outbreak at a ward at the Halifax Infirmary site of the QEII Health Sciences Centre. Currently there is a very low number of patients impacted (less than five), and all patients are being closely monitored and other infection prevention and control measures are being put in place.

4. chainsaw

Not to sound like that type of person, but our government (premiers and Dr Strang) kind of started that phenomenon and we’re quick themselves to point out groups in relation to outbreaks. The strange part is that they use privacy concerns quite often as well, and will say not to point fingers when questioned on PH or governmental decisions.
    I agree that the restrictions do not seem to make sense with the messaging that PH gives us. At this point I don’t understand why dine in options are still available and can not wrap my head around why bars are still open. I know it’s the effect on businesses but at some point you would assume PH concerns would outweigh those.
    I am also concerned that schools will be given exemptions again and a return to in person learning will take place the first week of January with no real measures beside optics for the general public to prevent the continued spread and outbreaks within. From The beginning of November through Christmas vacation schools here in HRM especially were an absolute hot zone. I am not a fan of online schooling but I really don’t think in person is even feasible currently. Not to mention that guidance is now N95 or respirator for prolonged indoor work in groups. There is no way the school boards or DOE is going to pony up for N95s for staff and students (if they could even find the amount they would need)
    With the drop in testing, availability of testing where you basically need to be old and bleeding from the eyes to get a PCR test I think there is going to be a false sense of security given to the people of NS because hey look the numbers are a little lower than the peak number last week even though testing is way down and positivity rate is at an all time high.

it’s crazy times in the maritimes

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  5. C. Mike Hunt

6. Grifter

Bluh?

Work just mandated N95 masks are mandatory. Mandatory employees only again as well... Transformers variant is taking a grip and it seems we are on the verge of going back into lock down. Gonna be weird wearing an N95. But...is what it is.

7. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

I am honestly surprised that we aren't in lockdown yet. I'm even more surprised that I made it across the NS border on the 15th.

8. 17

teenage dirtbag

I was supposed to go to Montreal on the 5th which just got postponed for the 11tyth time

driving, not flying

9. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20211228001

Today, December 28, Nova Scotia is reporting 561 new cases of COVID-19.

There are 430 cases in Central Zone, 54 cases in Eastern Zone, 39 cases in Northern Zone and 38 cases in Western Zone.

On December 27, NSHA's labs completed 4292 tests.

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

School announcement today?

11. KMD

KMD

I am so sorry you both are going through this :hugs:
    I knew she had cancer and I know you don't talk about it on here, why would you. I know she can be experience peripheral neuropathy after chemo, it's the same nerve damage I have and I pray to Dog that she doesn't have to go through this as well as everything else you all are going through.

12. C. Mike Hunt

13. chainsaw

I can’t even formulate words as a reaction to that shitshow / bullshit filled press conference today. Still sitting in awe, & disbelief especially after the number of school cases in Nov - Dec. I’m so fucking mad, shocked, devalued, it’s not even funny

briangtiguy likes this.
  14. Matt30

I dont think it’s too much to ask for people to be held accountable for their actions. Seems like every time we have gotten things to somewhat of a normal life, some ass hat ignores guidelines and fucks everything up.

After that idiotic pastor claimed no responsibility because “it was gods plan”, I was hoping the church would mysteriously burn down with him inside because “it was gods plan”

15. Arod

I'm supposed to be going to Borden Ontario for 3 weeks in Feb/March...I hope to fuck the situation there means I can stay my ass home.

16. Grifter

Bluh?

Still in the reserves?

17. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20211229002

Today, December 29, Nova Scotia is reporting 586 new cases of COVID-19. From December 25 to 28, 69 lab results were repeat positives.

There are 393 cases in Central Zone, 106 cases in Eastern Zone, 56 cases in Northern Zone and 31 cases in Western Zone.

Nova Scotia Health Authority is reporting six patients have tested positive for COVID-19 at St. Martha’s Regional Hospital in Antigonish. All patients are being closely monitored and appropriate infection prevention and control measures are in place. Testing is available for all staff members and doctors on site who want to get tested.

There are no new cases related to the outbreak at a ward at the Halifax Infirmary site of the QEII Health Sciences Centre. A total of six patients have tested positive. All patients are being closely monitored and appropriate infection prevention and control measures are in place. Staff testing is underway.

There are no changes in the current hospital outbreaks at Dartmouth General Hospital and the separate ward at the Halifax Infirmary site of the QEII Health Sciences Centre. The total number of cases at both hospitals is still fewer than five.

As of today, there are an estimated 5,053 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia. Of those, 24 people are in hospital, including three in ICU.

On December 28, NSHA’s labs completed 5,355 tests.

As of December 28, 1,776,330 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 794,192 Nova Scotians have received their second dose, and 120,713 eligible Nova Scotians have received a third dose.

18. chainsaw

So I guess this is one way to continue with reinforcing that schools are not a vector of transmission and are the safest place for kids. The province has quietly wiped all Covid exposure notices in schools from their website. The list no longer exists after they moved earlier in December to only show only to show schools that had Covid to only November and December instead of Sept - Dec so it wasn’t as long. This right here, these moves, are what tend to get me to feel how I feel about Covid and schools

https://backtoschool.ednet.ns.ca/

19. Arod

Indeed

KMD and Grifter like this.
  20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I would suspect all that info is gone because school is out for the holidays? No sense in leaving up stale data.

21. chainsaw

You are much more optimistic than I am sir lol

22. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Don’t they remove all places once the timeframe for symptom onset has expired? I don’t think the list is supposed to be a scorecard but rather a reference for self monitoring.

23. chainsaw

No the school list has been posted since September. It was collating the list of schools that had / have Covid cases. With the way Covid ran through schools in November and December it’s more of burying it again to continue to say schools don’t spread Covid and it’s the best place for kids to be

put it in another context; your workplace is no longer going to let you know there is or has been Covid in the workplace and will stop all contract tracing within it, and gathering limits don’t apply, and even though PH Canada says you should be using N95s or respirators in indoor workplaces with functioning ventilation, NS PH denies that and says use three layer cotton masks which right now are something like 20-30% effective. That sounds transparent doesn’t it?

Enhanced cleaning is a myth, there is no extra custodial staff, the pretty hand sanitizer stations they installed in wave 1 or 2 have been empty since September, cohorting does not exist in high school with some staff seeing over 120 students each day and a majority of kids do not wear their masks properly either with their nose hanging out or under their chin and kids are not staying home when sick. But optically things are great and very safe.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Grifter likes this.
  24. C. Mike Hunt

522 new cases today. 25 people in hospital, 3 of which are in ICU.

Starting Monday, anyone 30+ who had their second vaccine 6 months ago can book a booster.

Press release not yet out.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  25. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

14,188 new cases today alone in Quebec. Fun times.

26. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20211230004

Today, December 30, Nova Scotia is reporting 522 lab confirmed cases of COVID-19, which includes 11 duplicate cases for a total 511 new cases.

There are 331 cases in Central Zone, 56 cases in Eastern Zone, 59 cases in Northern Zone and 65 cases in Western Zone.

The province is reporting four new outbreaks in long-term care facilities. Public health is working with the facilities to prevent further spread. Increased public health measures and restrictions are in place.

Four staff members have tested positive at the Sagewood Continuing Care Facility in Lower Sackville. Five staff members and one resident have tested positive at the Kings Regional Rehabilitation Centre in Waterville. Four staff members and one resident have tested positive at Melville Gardens in Halifax. Two residents have tested positive at New Vision in South Berwick, with one in hospital.

One new case is being reported at Parkstone Enhanced Care in Halifax. A total of two residents and three staff members at the facility have tested positive. No one is in hospital.

The Nova Scotia Health Authority is reporting outbreaks at the Victoria General site of the QEII Health Sciences Center and New Waterford Heights. Currently there are a very low number of patients impacted (less than five at each facility), and all patients are being closely monitored and other Infection Prevention and Control measures are being put in place. NSHA will provide a further update when more information is available.

An additional three cases are being reported at a ward at the Halifax Infirmary site of the QEII Health Sciences Centre, for a total of nine cases. There are no new cases related to the outbreak at St. Martha's Regional Hospital in Antigonish.

As of today, there are an estimated 5,106 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia. Of those, 25 people are in hospital, including 3 in ICU.

On December 29, NSHA’s labs completed 3,960 tests.

As of December 29, 1,785,034 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 794,509 Nova Scotians have received their second dose, and 128,183 eligible Nova Scotians have received a third dose.

27. C. Mike Hunt

28. Grifter

Bluh?

Schools here are staying shut down til the 10th now. And all the articles I've found really heavily imply home schooling will resume instead of returning to school. Guess Parker won't be getting much done. I can't work from home....

29. LMAC

_

Schools open here on the 5th and isolation for vaccinated people drops to 5 days

30. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

They’ve cancelled the first day of school in Seattle and opening a free testing clinic to get kids tested before going back. There will be major outbreaks regardless of that - at this point, accept it and please don’t go back online for school.

31. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20211231002

Today, December 31, Nova Scotia is reporting 618 new cases of COVID-19.

There are 429 cases in Central Zone, 64 cases in Eastern Zone, 48 cases in Northern Zone and 77 cases in Western Zone.

The Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is reporting outbreaks at the Halifax Infirmary, Dartmouth General Hospital, Victoria General site of the QEII Health Sciences Center, St. Martha’s Regional Hospital and New Waterford Consolidated Hospital. The number of patients impacted remains low (less than 10 at each facility), and all patients are being closely monitored and other infection prevention and control measures are being put in place. NSHA will provide a further update when more information is available.

As of today, there are an estimated 5,117 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia. Of those, 34 people are in hospital, including 4 in ICU.

On December 30, NSHA’s labs completed 6,348 tests.

As of December 30, 1,791,016 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 794,817 Nova Scotians have received their second dose, and 133,044 eligible Nova Scotians have received a third dose.

32. chainsaw

At least they are testing kids before going back. I understand that online sucks, believe me I do not want online myself, but why should we just accept there will be outbreaks and take the chance that the kids won’t get really sick and end up in hospital, or the same for staff? Are you going to go work in the office because you accept there will be outbreaks or are you going to work from home? I’m not trying to stir the pot, just genuinely curious.

33. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

For kids, the mental health risks of online school outweigh the risks of the omicron variant, especially if you’re vaxxed.

Many people (including experts) - with omicron, it’s not if, it’s when you get sick. It’s milder than any other variant so why over react and put everyone in a horrible position?

I understand you’re looking at this from a teacher perspective. Every other teacher I’ve talked to, including many family members, are hoping for in person - online doesn’t work.

Other than you potentially being jealous (I’m guessing from what you’ve posted?) of the flexibility my work offers me in this situation, it’s irrelevant to the school situation. I plan to keep doing what I’ve been doing since September. WFH MWF, in the office T,F.

34. chainsaw

I get that most are saying it’s milder, but it isn’t for everyone. Look at the numbers of child hospitalizations coming out of the UK and the US currently. The mental health talking point is a loud majority, and also an echo chamber (it’s akin to do your own research). There are just as many students who are uncomfortable going to school as there are who want to. Really.
    It seems to be the people that have the ability to work from home or have small self contained offices, that tend to be the loudest to say teachers should be in school. Honestly, if I worked in an office environment I would be a hell of a lot more comfortable going into work than walking into a school ranging in size from a few hundred to 1600 each day. Especially when you don’t have any idea on how many are actually vaccinated (I can honestly say a number of my students are not), no contract tracing or who knows if we will be notified of cases in your class or school at this point, and parents dropping their kids of sick with oh it’s just a cold without any testing.
    As someone who was hospitalized with whooping cough / croup at a few years old in the mid - late 70’s (one of my earliest memories strangely enough) being in an oxygen tent with butterfly IVs, respiratory diseases scare the shit out of me. Since that time I’ve had pneumonia multiple times, am asthmatic and when I get a chest cold it hangs on to me, at times, for weeks where I require Inhalations (I’ve had my own personal machine for years), or multiple courses of antibiotics to clear the chest infections. That’s not something I would like one of my kids, or anyones kid to have to go through. Not to mention the kids getting it may not all be ending up in hospital, but how many may end up with life long lung damage (which I’m sure the whooping cough did to me).
    But hey I’m jealous of working for home :)

35. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I get that their are risks but I would not call my opinion an echo chamber. As I said, I’ve heard the same thing from every teacher I’ve talked to. My wife no longer teaches but talks to even more teachers than I do - you’re the first one I’ve talked to who would rather go online. I can’t talk for all students, obviously, my my own high schoolers and all their friends say “fuck no” to online school.

It sounds like you have a unique experience and ideally would get an exemption given your breathing history but I still think the majority would want to be in person for the reasons I stated.