Covid19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Mar 1, 2020.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

What’s RC’s take?

First death in the US was in the Seattle area where I live. People are already panicking - stores running out of things like toilet paper and basic supplies. Apparently, Costco was a nightmare yesterday.

I think, more importantly - there is no link to the guy who died and travel with China. To me, it points that the virus is already “out there” and, in most cases, it’s pretty mild. I, myself, was sick last week and had most of the symptoms but you only know if you get tested.

I fully expect more panic and fear will rule the day for the next while. It’s going to suck.

2. chainsaw

Not going to Lie, heading to Ireland, Wales, England and Scotland on the 11th and I'm a little concerned about planes and airports especially with flying through Frankfurt on the way home.

3. 17

teenage dirtbag

i think the North American numbers are skewed due to the inability to test, and people being able to spread before symptoms show up. Theres got to be THOUSANDS of cases in the US.

That being said, I'm following it because its fascinating, i dont think theres been an epidemic on this scale that we can follow so closely with the internet/ social media. I'm really not worried about it affecting my life.

4. Wayne

I am terrified of it, likely won't travel until more is known about it, and will monitor closely. I already am super careful with hygiene in public places so don't need to amp that up any.

5. Cracker

non-n00b

I am an ER nurse, but currently working from home taking my Critical Care certification, picking up a few shifts here and there.

I am not super concerned overall, but am glad I am mainly working from home right now. I am pregnant, so fall into that immunocompromised group at the moment, and the more I can avoid the potential exposures the better.

If the threat continues to climb when the baby arrives I may be a bit more freaked out about it. But for now, there isn't much I can do beyond routine hand washing and limiting added risks.

6. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

My mom, my sister, and my nieces were supposed to come visit in a couple weeks - my mom (77), for sure is cancelling. My sister likely will as well - she works in a hospital and doesn’t need to worry about not being able to work when she gets back from a place that has known cases. My youngest niece also doesn’t have the best immune system.

It’s kind of nuts here right now - people are already going into “survival mode” 2 local Costco’s that I know of were completely sold out of bottled water, toilet paper, etc. you can’t find hand sanitizer anywhere - even sold out on Amazon.

Completely nuts. Then again, we get the same reaction around here when they say it might snow.

7. Wayne

True story, my coworkers in Beaverton have been legitimately stunned by pics of our storms this month, as well as the cold.

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Scary but it's out of my control so I'm not worried about it. Just gotta do the same as always to prevent getting sick. Wash your hands and don't go to any indoor children's playgrounds :rofl:

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Also remember that the 'Facebook effect' is in full swing amping up people's fears. The more time someone is on Facebook/Twitter, the more freaked out they'll be by this thing. Help out by logging off and asking your friends to so the same. Bonus points for deleted accounts.

10. 17

teenage dirtbag

I have no idea why people are going apeshit over bottled water. The water infrastructure isn’t going to crumble because a few people get sick.

11. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

seeing the map of infected countries is concerning. Yesterday confirmed cases increasing in the New England area and Ontario. its only a matter of time before infection starts spreading to the maritimes. Very scary

12. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

agreed. I deleted the app this morning. People are just being stupid.

Boots likes this.
  13. Scott

rawr

14. 17

teenage dirtbag

15. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Definitely going to be some price bumps from this

16. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Up to 6 dead in Washington State - hit a nursing home and spread, ugh. 14 confirmed cases - I would guess thousands more that aren't even reported.

17. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

And... just asked to WFH. Not official company policy but my division was asked.

Nick84 likes this.
  18. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Looks like you're at ground zero :/

Nice to have the option to work from home. Hopefully this doesn't blow up too badly.

19. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It definitely feels like we’re ground zero for the US. I just read a report breaking down what is happening in Seattle and comparing it to Wuhan: https://bedford.io/blog/?fbclid=IwAR35D4xUNqTOoKA7djI31mlQLygAQqoZu3AQcbVfMTd6dwP9eUYbq-1f4u4

“We know that Wuhan went from an index case in ~Nov-Dec 2019 to several thousand cases by mid-Jan 2020, thus going from initial seeding event to widespread local transmission in the span of ~9-10 weeks. We now believe that the Seattle area seeding event was ~Jan 15 and we're now ~7 weeks later. I expect Seattle now to look like Wuhan around ~1 Jan, when they were reporting the first clusters of patients with unexplained viral pneumonia. We are currently estimating ~600 infections in Seattle, this matches my phylodynamic estimate of the number of infections in Wuhan on Jan 1. Three weeks later, Wuhan had thousands of infections and was put on large-scale lock-down. However, these large-scale non-pharmaceutical interventions to create social distancing had a huge impact on the resulting epidemic. China averted many millions of infections through these intervention measures and cases there have declined substantially.”

It’s one thing to watch at a distance but I have friends and co-workers who have family who work at the nursing home that was hardest hit. One co-worker’s father-in-law was a resident there up until about 2 weeks before “patient 0”.

20. Gooch

I do not know what to make of all of it. My priority has been to try to time when to put money in the market :)
    We did a prep for food and stuff a few weeks ago. 4 full carts from costco of the essentials and non perishables.
    Interesting to see how this is going to play out.
    I am worried for my older parents and my son has a lung issue he was born with that has us concerned

I am thinking we might have seen the market low or very soon. There are some good discounts out there right now.

21. dpwu32

Trash elf

I’m currently in Orlando, flying home today. Been here for a week, networking with people from all over North America (majority from the US), and then spent a few days traveling the Keys and the East coast.

I’m not concerned. I think it’s dangerous, but WAY over hyped.

I’ve been networking with other online sellers all week, and have watched/heard some crazy sales. One wholesaler closed a deal with a school district in Michigan for $60k worth of hand sanitizer while we were poolside on Friday. Another was selling N95 masks in packs of 5, 10, and 50 on eBay. He did $16k in gross sales on those alone on Saturday. His phone was constantly going off with sale notifications.

22. 17

teenage dirtbag

So what you’re saying is I should use my company’s Uline account to order a ton of N95s and resell for profit? :x:

23. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Friends are posting pictures on Facebook of the grocery stores we typically go to - shelves completely bare. On that front, yes, things are way over hyped. I’ve heard it is happening in Halifax as well for certain items at places like Costco?

24. C. Mike Hunt

I've heard it...FB and reddit are crawling with trolls. Going to see for myself tonight.

25. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I've been to the grocery store a few times this week and didn't notice any extra shoppers. Hopefully I'm not proven wrong but I've said from the very beginning that thing has been blown way out of proportion. With Facebook/Twitter being such a major part of people's lives now you really gotta factor in the social media amplification factor with these big news stories.

26. Wayne

I don't think enough people understand how serious this "could" be. I know dozens of people just in my personal circle of friends who have recently flown to destinations all over the world, in dozens of airports, exposed to any number of people who could have been to/exposed to hot zones. Their thoughts on the virus... "I didn't go to China". This shit spreads because people are stupid mostly. I say people need to have this jammed down their throats.

That said, unless you are in a hot zone I think stockpiling masks and food seems a little panicky. However, I know I am personally going to monitor this really fucking close, and at some point that may be a reasonable action.

Top Gun likes this.
  27. KLD

KLD

Apparently many places in NS are starting to run out of water and TP. I think it's an over-reaction. I'm a little nervous as I'm flying to SC for vacation this weekend, but I'm just going to do my best to stay hygienic like I would on any other flight. It's funny that people don't seem to worried about the flu, which has much worse statistics than COVID.

28. chainsaw

Actually as of this morning the WHO released that it now has a mortality rate of 3.4% which makes it deadlier than the flu now

29. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Some of the stuff people don’t consider when they say it’s No Big Deal. When you live in a highly impacted area:

- I keep reading news of impacts on the economy that I hadn’t considered. I was sad that I have family I was going to see that now won’t be visiting but then read the impact to the cruise industry that brings almost a billion dollars to the Seattle area. All likely to be lost. We could see cruise lines declaring bankruptcy. Some airlines as well.
    - one I really never thought of - I have a friend who is an opera singer. She just lost $10k I’m booked flights/rent for places she was supposed to perform and now will likely have to go bankrupt - completely lost her income.

Those are just a couple of things - keep seeing more and more in the news. I’m lucky because I can WFH.

Wayne and chainsaw like this.
  30. Matt30

Got a notice the other night that my vacation is at risk of cancellation because many port cities aren’t allowing cruise ships in. As of right now none on our itenerary are closed but we were put on notice that it could be last minute.

Even if we do get to go, I think getting sick is gonna be in the back of my mind the entire time

31. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

My parents have had to cancel a cruise to Europe in April.

32. chainsaw

My trip to the UK is now cancelled, and can't say that I am overly disappointed. As for a cruise, I don't think you could pay me enough to get on a cruise ship right now

Wayne likes this.
  33. Matt30

Had to? Or chose to?

34. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I don’t know details - I think they were advised that they wouldn’t actually be able to get off the boat at some of the ports they were visiting and they had the cancellation option so they cancelled it.

35. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

It's almost impossible to find a reliable source of information on this virus. The clickbait articles are off the charts :/