Copycats.....

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by SheOfManyChildren, Feb 23, 2009.

1. SheOfManyChildren

We all get inspiration from others, and there are few (if any) TRULY unique ideas for setups, etc...

That being said, I have recently been keeping an eye on a local photographer whose work seems to be *ahem* familiar.... I din't really think much of it until their watermark changed to an almost exact replica.

They also seem to be buying the same props.

How would you handle this, if at all? I don't know how I feel about it. I'm not worried about them stealing clients, etc....but I find it a bit......annoying.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. Clif

Tanya... you're a leader... get used to it! Seriously... I took lots from you! :) lol

3. SheOfManyChildren

No no, I don't care if I'm able to help someone by posting tips, setups, before-afters,etc.....

But isn't the whole point of learning to try and be an individual? We've often stated here before that we can recognize each others images based on the style.

I was just surprised to have this individuals photos pointed out to me, and see SUCH similarities.

And I'm no leader....I definately spend hours every day looking at and learning from others. I guess I should take it as a challenge to keep growing myself. :happysad:

4. ShutterMOM

Do you think it annoys you because they are local, cause those who don't know your work might think you got the idea from the "other" photographer? Think it wouldn't bother you as much if the "other" photographer wasn't local, like let's say, me living in Alberta?

5. chainsaw

Oh man, that's so shitty.

I know they say you should be flattered etc etc, but to be so braisen (sp?). It sucks, but what can you do? You could prob send message/ contact etc, but what will it do? Especially if it is someone who copies everything...

Have to say I really think your baby stuff is amazing, I've even mentioned you to people I work with that ask about getting photos of their kids taken. I drop your name and say you do amazing stuff with kids.. Like you said I don't think you will have any issues of loosing clients / sales, but still it's pretty damn low.

6. SheOfManyChildren

Yes, it's definately because they are local. No question there.....and I'm not worried about someone thinking I copied the other photographer.

It's more just personal annoyance. :lol: I've been really focusing on this particular section of the market, trying to set myself apart....as I think we all should. The watermark is what did it really. I mean, anyone can sit a kid down with certain toys, or put a hat on them, or even use the side-by-side diptrych......but to see an almost excat copy of my watermark on those similar photos seemed a bit much. And given our small city, not likely to be a coincidence. :happysad:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  7. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

Spill the beans, shields...if they're jackin yer shit, call them out and post a link. I want to see. If it's anyone that is a part of IE they have no place in this fucking community and shouldn't let the door hit their fucking ass on the way out.

8. ShutterMOM

Eeek! lol

9. chainsaw

Have to agree with Mosher here.

10. SheOfManyChildren

I would almost think I was being paranoid if it wasn't brought to my attention by someone else.

11. SheOfManyChildren

It's no one on IE.......but this is a small community, and I know word will get back to them.

I'd rather not mention names in public. This thread is enough.

12. brokenhat

I understand how you feel Tanya, I will see something you did that I really like and take pains to change things so as not to copy. It would bother me too.

13. SheOfManyChildren

I feel a bit silly.....but not....

:lol:

14. Cracker

non-n00b

Your work is awesome and speaks for itself. You have found you nich and should stick to it. I would confront the other person and let them know how you feel in a nice but firm manner haha.

15. chef21

Allez cuisine!

the only silly thing would be to spend years developing your style, finding clients, and then allow someone to just walk in and tread all over it. Taking ideas from one artist and applying a new twist to it is one thing, but if this person is copying to the extent you say, it will only end bad for you. You said your self this is a small market, If this person's work, including water mark are so similar to yours, they only need to do a few bad jobs, and people may think it's your work.

16. ClickyMcGee

You make an excellent point. Honestly, I don't know how the person can live with themselves. Knowing that they have no originality to their work. Getting ideas is one thing because there is always someone else's work you wish was your own, but copying everything down to props and a friggin watermark. Sad, just sad. And the possibility that this copycat could mess with your market by pooching a shoot and slander your name by association...balls. But then again I'm just ranting :P

17. SheOfManyChildren

I want to point out, before the witchhunt starts :lol: that the shots are not EXACT replicas. Imagine getting a 1 year old to pose.

Like I mentioned above, the watermark is what concerns me the most. Where it the same one they had been using, I probably wouldn't have noticed the other similarities.

The individual is quite talented, especially with their wedding work. I'm going to send them a friendly, professional email....and see how it goes.

18. chef21

Allez cuisine!

well we can all start gathering our pitch forks and torches, incase it doesn't go well. just give us the word.

19. SheOfManyChildren

:lol:

Just sent this:

Dear So and so,

I wanted to drop you a quick note because it was brought to my attention today that your new watermark is quite similar to mine. Being in such a small market, I am concerned about our branding being mistaken for one another.

I have already printed my 2009 marketing material (hundreds of biz cards, stickers, postcards, etc) and it is really not cost effective for me to change.

Is this some something you are just testing out, or do you have plans to keep it?

Again, were we not in such a small city, I would not be concerned.....but with our child portriature being so similar in style....and getting closer it seems.....I don't want potential and/or current clients to be confused.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Tanya

20. Dorman

Konichiwa Bitches...

That's a nice professional sounding email Tanya.

21. SheOfManyChildren

Thanks.

No point is coming out swinging if it really does turn out to be coincidence......or not. I'd prefer to give the benefit of the doubt first.

22. shaun

Freedom 27

Don't get me started on this subject. I could go on for days.

Thing is... the copycats are always fully aware of what they are doing, yet still do it. You would think their conscience might step in. I guess if they're ok with being a ripoff, then so be it.

23. A~Photography

very professional email tanya.. id be concerned to if there styles etc is sooo similar and then to have a watermark like yours yikes... i hope you make out ok and get it all cleared up i am always looking for examples on the net but i cant imagine copying only one persons work yes it compliment in a way but your email says it all.. and you want to be a Unique photographer which you are but for someone to a copy cat doesn't say much for them as a photographer but clients mistaking your guys' work is not what you want!!

Good Luck

24. Julie

I'm glad this topic came up. This is something that has concerned me about this area since of course this place is smaller than Halifax.

That is a professional email that you sent. I'm betting though that it's not only the watermark is similar. I'm kinda wondering if this other photog has the same name as well?

25. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

i mean...having a similar style is one thing...there are only so many ways to skin a cat...but when we start basically jacking someone all together as is the case here(i may or may not have stumbled upon who she was talking about-no i won't share or pm any links)then it's cause for concern. She is using the same props and basically trying to recreate things down to even trying to duplicate the post work...only she isn't up to par on that yet. Anyway, hopefully this resolves itself. I have a funny feeling this thread has already gotten back to the party in question, or it will soon.
    I don't know how many times we've all been over this-develop your own he*king style, people. Grow as your own unique artist...don't just try to jack other people-you will never get ahead or accomplish anything that way.

26. SheOfManyChildren

The response:

Hi Tanya,

I am using my own handwriting for the watermark. I didn't notice that it is similar to yours. I am reading between the lines that you think I
    am coping your watermark. That is NOT the case. This kind of watermark is very common on flickr and since we both get the inspiration from the same source(flickr) it doesn't surprise me that we have a similar things. I don't feel that clients will confuse our names or work by the watermarks. I don't even have a photography business. I take pictures for friends and family. I quite like my watermark, I am not sure if I will keep it or not. If I come up with something nicer, I will change it. I am not trying to copy anyone or compete in the photography business. Sorry to hear that you are concerned about something like this.

27. N / A

well, since you both get your inspiration from Flikr it must be legit...what kind of a fuc%ing reply is that?

28. SheOfManyChildren

Ugh. I dunno.

Again, she seems to be missing that my concerns were based on us being so close in proximity.

My response:

Thank you for the response. Like I mentioned, it was brought to my attention, and I felt the mature, professional thing to do would be to contact you about it.

Seeing that you have no intentions of having a photography business, it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm sure you can appreciate my concerns if that weren't the case.

Regards, Tanya

And that's the end of it for me. I made my concerns known.

29. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

i can't keep my comments on that reply professional at the moment so i will revisit this later.
    jesus i hate people.

30. A~Photography

your more patient than I am Tanya!! hopefully she'll change it and realize your concerns as they are very valid....

31. HatMan

Pentaxian Extraordinaire

I've got to be more of a night person and less of a morning person I think... I miss most of these threads since i fall asleep on the couch around 9... :)

I have to agree with Mosher on this one. I generally don't have much use for people either. Unfortunately, thanks to bullsh*t political correctness, even Darwin's survival of the fittest doesn't apply anymore.

Tanya, talk to a lawyer and trademark your watermark/logo. Without that, you won't have a leg to stand on. It might cost you a couple bucks, but think of your satisfaction when "So and so" gets a cease and desist letter from your attorney.Can you say vindication? ;)

32. brokenhat

I really can't see why we can't have a link to the website in question so we can see for ourselves, Tanya already confronted (nicely) the person in question so it is out in the open.

33. SheOfManyChildren

Because as mentioned before, it's a small community. If I start calling out names, I run the risk of making myself look bad.

I prefer to deal with it myself, and keep an eye on things. :)

*edit* Also, several people on this board have crossed paths with them as well, and I don't want to divide into "camps".

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  34. Arod

You did the right thing with respect to your logo. A photographer in another city who has a very close logo is a coincidence....in the same small community is copying for sure.

I agree with Hatman. If you plan on using your logo long term I would looking in to trademarking it as to avoid this type of issue in the future.

35. SheOfManyChildren

Ok, question:

1) Where/how does one go about trademarking?

2) If in fact someone's own personal handwriting(if that's the case) , turned into a PS brush, is really close to my now trademarked logo, is that still infringement?