1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting AVI to Play on DVD Player

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Jimmy_B, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B
    [OP]

Can someone tell me how to convert avi to play in my dvd player? I have the first 11 episodes of lost and each episode is a avi file about 350megs. When i convert them using dvdsanta the files at least double and the quality turns to shit. So can someone tell me the easiest way to do this. also should i fit all them on 1 dvd or split it up into 2 or 3? I havnt done this before so step by step instructions would be great!:D

2. The Stig

any decent dvd burning program should let you drag and drop a variety of video formats into and then it would convert it to mpeg2, when in doubt doom9.org

3. SilverMan

The Spud

I was going to ask the same question. I "assumed" that I could just burn the avi files onto a dvd and they would play in my dvd player but no dice!

4. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B
    [OP]

Im Using Nero and when I select the avi file it says its not a valid dvd video file.

5. The Stig

hmmm....must be divx, or another format of avi compression, there is a lot to be said about doom9.org

6. wade

7. visual_kool

DVD Santa should do the trick

8. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B
    [OP]

I tried dvd santa and the quality of the movies turned to shit, even though the size of the file went from 350m to 910m when i converted it. And even when i burned that to a dvd it wouldnt play in my dvd player. Ive burned dvds before and used them in the same dvd player so that definitly isnt a problem, it must have something to do with the way the files are coded or something:confused:

9. PimpScort

Teh piMp of Scortz

if it was a movie, and it was 350megs when you started. it is gonna look like shit no matter what you do. Way to small to have any quality with it.

10. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B
    [OP]

No it was just a episode of lost(like 45min)..i watched the version i downloaded and it was really good quality, but once it was converted it went to shit

11. ZorK

I post, therefore I exist

you can do that with Nero BUT you have to download and install a codec pack FOR nero first, nero doesn't come with these converters, you have to find them n install them, and then be patient cause it's gonna take a good time to convert them, although I don't convert videos anymore since I use a TV tunner n a record the output of an avi file n save it as a DVD compliant mpeg2 n it goes live so it takes as much time as the video's length