Computer Problems

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Smokey, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

I'm having some seroius problems with my PC, i'm running XP and lately it's started to fuck up. I can't change anything in the control panel, everytime i click it, it does nothing. I've tried all the latest MIcrosoft updates and it doesn't help. Everytime i try to download anything it locks up and comes up with a error report, same thing when i try to run online virus scans..Also, i cannot burn audio cd's, it will let me do data, but not wav..when i try to brun wav's it just locks up. Any body have any ideas????

2. Dural

Insert something witty

format c:

It's the only way to go at this point. You'll be up an running again in 90 mins to 4 hours, or you can spend the next 3 days trying to clean every little piece of shit spyway, virus, etc. from your pc.

3. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

Problem is, i've got alot of shit on my pc, and now it won't even let me burn data cd's, and i don't have another copy of xp.

4. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

If you know anybody with some extra harddrive space you could take your harddrive out and put it in their PC as a slave and scan for viruses first of course.Then after that you could copy the important stuff to their harddrive and then format yours,maybe burn the stuff you copied to their comp while you are there and then do your reinstall and copy your stuff back over.
    As Dural said,there just isn't much more you can do once you have gotten to the point where everything is screwed as yours is.

5. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

Update, i'm now able to download stuff, i got spybot and ran it, it removed 42 of 44 problems, then told me to restart, after restarting, almost every program i try to open comes up with "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

Why did it do this and how do i go about fixing it? It seems to be working better, and like i said, now i can download but just90% of my programs wont' run..Hopefully it's something stupid!

6. Dural

Insert something witty

what programs specifically, we can map them out for you

7. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

it's seems like any executable file, the only ones that seem to work are internet explorer, and a few select programs.. Most of the programs in control panel do not work, the only ones taht do are...

-administrative tools.
    -folder options
    -fonts
    -network connections
    -printers and faxes
    -scanners and cameras
    -scheduled taks
    -taskbar and start menu

these are the only ones that work, most program files do not work at all, ever since rebooting after spybot, i'm assuming it fucked up something in the registry..???

8. Foster

Toolboard

My advise to you Steve is to go to start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore...

It'll restore your computer the way it was before it started fucking up...it'll show you a calender to the dates that it backed up and you'll most likely find a date thats right before all the problems..

After that do a defrag and run spy bot...update window patches and run virus scan because everything you have done since that date will be lost..but it'll work without a doubt!

9. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

same message comes up when i try system restore

10. Dural

Insert something witty

format c:

11. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

Sounds like you have a virus.The wife accidentally downloaded a virus on my old comp about 1.5 years ago and it attached itself to almost any .exe file, especially Antivirus and firewall ones. You are still going to have to format it,I just don't think you are still gonna be able to repair it,too much wrong.

12. Lowvez

Tower...bring her here...i'll backup what i can to my comp and then re-install XP...