Computer Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IXLR8, Aug 17, 2004.

1. IXLR8

IXLR8
    [OP]
    I concur

I just installed a new WD 160gb hard drive. Jumpers set to slave, on the primary IDE channel. My current HD was a Maxtor 80 gb, set to master. The problem is, the transfer mode is stuck in PIO mode (slow as molasses) and will not change over to Ultra DMA no matter what I do. I have tried reinstalling the drive and the IDE channel, to no avail. What is also wierd is that XP recognizes the drive and I can use it and transfer files (very slowly BTW), but my BIOS does not recognize the drive. WTF??

2. Dural

Insert something witty

Some BIOS's are not capable of understanding drives that large. Windows XP would have extended ability beyond that of your BIOS to adapt to the new drive.

As for the transfer speed, I'd wait til Boots posts something and do what he says.

3. IXLR8

IXLR8
    [OP]
    I concur

It's a brand new Dell, I'm sure it's capable of understanding it. I was thinking it might be the IDE cable itself?

4. SilverMan

The Spud

do you have an ata100/133 cable? Should have one blue connector on it. That could be your problem. If you have a brand new Dell, the bios should recognize the drive I would think.