Cleaning SLR

Discussion in 'Photography' started by thagurlnextdoor, Jan 20, 2009.

1. thagurlnextdoor

Okay you may have coevered this before but I have an eyelash of some sort inside my slr... I can't see it when you remove the lens but you can when your taking a pic/looking through the lens...

What is the best way to clean it without breaking anything??

:happysad: Im a newb

2. Arod

Is it a film or digital SLR? Is it only visible when looking through the viewfinder or does it show up on images as well?

3. Getson

It may be on the mirror or the sensor, if it's a digital SLR. You will probably have a mirror lock-up feature in the menu. Try activating that, then removing your lens. It will probably look a little different than if you had looked prior to activating that feature. You'll be looking at the sensor of the camera. You could be able to blow it off from here. I would probably recommend a bulb blower rather than your lungs.

4. grahamr

GrahamR :D

to further this question, if you can see it in the viewfinder and not in the photo when stopped down to f22 or so, then its on the prism up top, blow it out with a blower.

if you can see it in the viewfinder AND in a photo when stopped down to f22 or so, it is on your lens. back side. blow it off with a blower.

if you can't see it in the viewfinder, but it shows up when you take a picture @ f22 or so, its on the sensor (well, the filter above the sensor) put the camera in mirror lock-up and blow it out with a blower.

Hold the body so the opening faces down when using the blower so that gunk falls out, not blows up and falls back in place.

if its still on the sensor you may need to do something a bit more, like use a contact cleaner.

i suggest taking test photos of a wall at a small aperture like f22ish, that way from frame to frame you can look for the dust/dirt etc in photoshop.

5. Arod

Since she is a noob this information would probably be way out of her league.

I would suggest taking the Camera to a shop that offers cleaning services and have it taken care of.

6. Gordon S.

I still haven't cleaned my sensor. The process irrationally scares the hell out of me. The Lightroom spot removal tool has made me lazy. :)

7. Getson

I've cleaned my D70 a few times. I'm scared to clean my D3.

8. Arod

I blow out my 40D occasionally but I the auto sensor cleaning does a great job of shaking bunnies off of the sensor itself.

9. shaun

Freedom 27

10. shelsters

show me the light

I’ve blown out my D70 and my D200, and my sister’s canon… there is nothing to it… and I am not all that camera savvy. I got the instructions from these guys in another post…and it worked great!

11. Getson

Blowing is one thing. Actually dragging something across your sensor to clean it and possibly render your camera useless is something very different. If you do it, please, be VERY careful.

12. Clif

I just looked at mine today and there is a smudge on it that won't blow off! :censored:

13. Danial Doherty

Using a blower is the extent of my cleaning... i would never attempt using one of the swab cleaning kits .. something would mess up for sure!

14. Cracker

non-n00b

Worked in sandy riding arena's all summer, needless to say I have had to clean my sensor a few times and a blower just wasn't cutting it. I have used the sensor cleaning swabs with great success, I was petrified the first time but after the first time it has been a breeze. If you choose to go this route be sure to get the proper size swab for your sensor.

15. thagurlnextdoor

It is digital and it shows in the viewfinder but not in the picture... Is a bulb blower similar/the same as what you use to clean your pc (sorry if this is a stupid question)

and what is f22????

16. Getson

Since it's not in the picture, it's not on your sensor so there's no need to worry about mirror lockup or cleaning that part of it.

17. SheOfManyChildren

f22 is your aperture

18. thagurlnextdoor

So how can I get rid of it then?

19. SheOfManyChildren

What do you mean? Is the camera stuck on f22? Are you able to choose another aperture?

20. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

as long as it's not showing up in your images, i wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

21. SheOfManyChildren

I'm an idiot. :lol:

22. thagurlnextdoor

:rofl: I was like OMG What is she talking about...

Okay if you say so.. I just hate seeing it through the view finder :happysad:

23. N / A

I just throw mine in the dishwasher

24. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

yup, then i microwave it later to dry it out.

25. HatMan

Pentaxian Extraordinaire

You mean I'm not supposed to shoot compressed air inside and then wipe up with a Q-tip!?!?!?!?! :lol:

26. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

i use a dremel with a qtip on the end.

27. novascotiaskier

I've cleaned my D70s more times than I can count. Probably twice a trip, at least. Usually just a gentle brush off with my Arctic Butterfly, but I have twice had to clean off 'baked on' dust with a wet sensor swab. The filter is pretty hard and if you are gentle, there shouldn't be an issue. At least I haven't had one so far. :eek3:

I haven't had to clean my D700 yet. I have the sensor cleaner set to run both on power up and power down. For the life of me, I can't figure out why this feature wasn't included in the D3x. :confused:

28. novascotiaskier

I'm probably going to do some head shots in the board room sometime in the next couple of weeks. I always have my cleaning kit in my bag, so you are welcome to give it a go, if you feel up to it! :kekeke:

29. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

head shots in a board room...sounds like a hell of a stock opportunity.

30. Gordon S.

Scott: Actually I'd love the advice. I'm sure its not difficult, its just one of those things I have big paranoia about and until I've actually done it I'll never get over it. Catch 22. :)

31. novascotiaskier

The first time i had a problem, I sent it back to Nikon and had to wait two months to get the body back. When I shoot outside, I often change lenses and stuff just happens. So it wasn't very long before I had some nice big dust spots again. Fixing in PS became a PITA real quick. That forced me to look around to find out how to do it myself. I almost peed myself when I first cleaned the sensor on my own. I had visions of wrecking the sensor beyond repair. Turned out I've never had a problem. <knock on wood>

I'll bring my stuff in tomorrow and I can show you. If you remember, drop Matte a note and tell him to bring in his as well.

-S.

32. Gordon S.

Sounds good!

33. Gordon S.

Well, results, and a bit of a story. Brought my gear into the office today and Scott showed us his Arctic Butterfly (No, really, the spinny, brushy thing! :) ) and I tried it on my 40D that I knew had a lot of crud on it. I've had the camera since April and haven't cleaned it yet and spent a fair bit of time cloning out spots from a recent trip to Arizona.

Before, Eww:

[​IMG]

Two swipes with the Arctic Butterfly:

[​IMG]

Hrm. Don't like that smear. :eek3: We did one more swipe and no change. Guess its time to get over my fear of wet cleaning! I hopped over to Carsand and bought a pack of Visible Dust swabs and VDust Plus fluid. ($65! Ouch! 12 swabs should last me into the next decade though.) After some deep breaths I went to it. It really isn't anything to be too paranoid about, or so I kept telling myself. Two swipes with the swab and...

[​IMG]

Phew! Still one tiny goober in the upper left but I can live with that! The color distortion is because this is a shot of a white wall next to a window so its flouros vs daylight, not any problem with the sensor. Same with the difference in brightness, all in the settings, not the cleaning process. :)

So, long story short... I still don't want to do it every day but its not that bad, it IS pricy though!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  34. novascotiaskier

Don't worry, it does get a bit less stressful each time you do it.

I'd suggest you even take another run at a wet clean. I suspect that the crud on your filter was really welded on and it might take another two or three passes to get it off. The solution will do the work, not the brush, and it will need some 'delta-t', or total exposure time, to work effectively. Since the solution evaporates, you will only get the soak time by doing a couple of passes.

Also, I think you should share that photo of your first approach to wet cleaning!:eek3: