Cleaning "scum" off of g3 teg headlights

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Annie, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie
    [OP]
    Vote for Pedro!

Like the topic says, i'm wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions of what will work to clean the "scum" off of my headlights. I've tried the fast orange thing before, but it didn't work too terrific. A bit of difference but nothing substantial. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

2. shawnmcw

no i am not a noob

if by scum you mean bug gutts and such, a good bug remover and some elbow grease has worked for me.

if you mean the yellowing that happens over time, you would need a good polishing compound and some more of the afore mentioned elbow grease

3. Annie

Annie
    [OP]
    Vote for Pedro!

yeah, i mean the scumming from time, not bug guts.

4. shawnmcw

no i am not a noob

although i haven't had the need to test it yet, no yellowing on mine so far, i've read that a good polishing compound and some rubbing should help to get it polished out.

if i can find when i read that, i'll post the link of info here to give ya more detail :)

5. shawnmcw

no i am not a noob

found the info :)

Instructions are at the bottom if you are lazy and don't want to read alot.

Well, I think I finally figgured out a good way to get that yellow fog out of old headlights. Sorry, I don't have any before/after pictures (digital camera is really bad), but believe me if you take your time it will look much better. I did research on the topic and I found acouple recommendations, but for some reason none worked for me- well, atleast to my satisfaction. I tried some 3M Rubbing compound that gets scratches finer than 1500 grit out, fingernail polish remover, acetone, bleach, rubbing alcohol, paint thinner, and the strongest plastic cleaner I have ever seen, but still had some fog. For the most part, the yellow was gone, but I was not happy with the left over fog. So, I looked more closely. It seemed as if there was a thin film of gunk on the headlights, so I figured I could sand them down- and that was the trick.

FOR ALL THOSE WHO DON"T WANT TO READ ALL THAT- here is what you need to do.
    You need to go to a local autoparts store and pick up some 3M Rubbing Compound (gets scratches finer than 1500 grit out) and some 320, 400, 600, 1000, and 2000 grit sandpaper, and its just basic sanding from here on out. I've found that it works much better to remove the headlight and bring it to a table or somewhere that you can mess with it easily, rather than keeping it on your car. Start out with the 320 grit and work your way up. Its going to take alot of sanding for the higher grits but if you take your time you will be pleased with the results. I wet sanded at 2000 grit after I dry sanded to get the scratches even finer, then used the rubbing compound to get the leftover haze out. You also might want to have a wet rag with you to wipe off the residue from the plastic after finishing each grit. Good luck!

6. preludacris

Lexus IS300

try some buffing compound on it

7. midden

I LIKE TO EAT MITTENS

try it on a small area first but...scum usually is from mildew and sun and some other stuff, so why not try some bleech? its cheaper than rubbing compound because its probably already in your house. slightly water it down, and let it soak for a few minutes then scrub off.

8. Shafft

RC-OG

wet sand and buff

9. wylderhoads

BLS

Never dull works well for the yellow haze. If you don't already know, join team-integra.net..... It will be your new home!!! Everything you want to know about your teg is on there.

10. Bruceticle

Come to Papa Moon

I just wetsanded mine tonight with 1500 grit to see how it works, I still need to do some polishing but the results are pretty good.

[​IMG]

11. John Doe

Is that a Taurus?

12. Bruceticle

Come to Papa Moon

no i'm just happy to see you
    yeah its a toreass

13. shawnmcw

no i am not a noob

Here are some before/after shots from doing the above. Finally had some time and cooperative weather to be able to follow my own advice 8)

before:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]