chimney liners

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by David Puddy, Oct 2, 2018.

1. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

I'm installing a wood burning fireplace insert (A Supreme Volcano Plus) to go into my open fireplace i have now. I have a clay liner and will need to be installing a stainless 6" liner. I'm wondering weather to go rigid or flexible at this point, and weather to knock out the clay liner or keep it. My clay liner is 8X12 so i'm sitting at about 6x10" for an inside size.
    A WETT instructor i was talking to yesterday told me, ideally, you want to knock out the clay liner to clean out all the built up Creosote that builds up between the clay liner and the brick then install a stainless rigid liner (which he says if you can get at cost, is not much more than a flexible liner) and then backfill between the brick and liner with Flexall (kind of like vermiculite or perlite mixed with concrete to form a thermal insulated barrier). The tough think about going that route, is i would prefer to get it from a wholesale supplier who could aquire those things at cost.
    My big question is, does Creosote really build up that much behind the clay liner? i mean isn't it supposed to control egress of the chimney exhaust and not have it leak between sections?
    I would for ease of things like to just drop a flexible liner down (which is tight i admit, i'll probably have to ovalize the entire liner for it to fit better.
    Any Masons, brick layers, WETT, installers, who could chime in ?
    thanks

2. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

Edit: I'm having a tough time finding the code for wood burning, but i don't think i can sweep a flexible liner, and you have to be able to sweep a liner from a wood burning furnace i believe...

3. Mitch

I can’t help, but we just bought an old home with a wood fireplace and I’m thinking of getting it checked out to use.

4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I had a z flex liner installed in mine many years ago. My chimney has two clay stacks, one for the woodstove and one for a fireplace. At one point one of the clay liners offsets a bit to get down to the woodstove so I needed to use a flex liner unless I knocked out all the clay (which I did not). I really wish the liner wasn't required. My stove had a way better draw when it was the just the clay.

5. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

There are some particularly designed chimney caps (shaw brick has them) that promotes vacuum up the flue. And if you have deeper pockets or can justify it, there are caps with fans in them for that very reason.
    you said its a wood stove (standalone) and not an insert? if it was an insert, i would say make sure the fresh air intake is properly ducted.

Update: A flexible stainless liner is completely sweepable, just needs to be swept more often then if you had a rigid liner. You just can't use a metal chimney brush, it must be a polyeurothane or other material that won't scratch the inside of the liner.
    I think i'll end up going with a flexible liner and leaving the clay liner in, i just might have to ovalize the liner a bit so it fits the rectangle clay liner a bit better.

6. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I sweep my flexible liner every fall and have since it was installed. I still get enough draw, it's just not as strong as it once was.

7. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

ordered a Selkirk flexible liner. Going in next weekend.

Boots likes this.