1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chebucto Community Internet

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Patton, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Patton

Patton
    [OP]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

the phrase "you get what you pay for" keeps popping into my head.

3. slouse

really though. Paying less than $10 a month for internet access is a little weird.
    Isn't Aliant High Speed 9.95 for the first three months now?

4. GeO

GeO

"Dial up" Seems to sum it all up. j/k

Well it could be your modem , try taking a look at your modem, maybe even replace it and see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn;t fix anything, get a professional to look at your system setup.

5. Patton

Patton
    [OP]

Like I said I had several other dial up providers in the past,the first three being free and not problems like now.
    Aliant high speed might be $9.95 for the first 3 months but what about the remaining months? and how much for initial setup.

6. Cupid

Banned

I signed up a month ago with Aliant when we moved to the new place and the first FOUR months are free and it's only $34.95 or something like that a month after that.

And if there was nothing wrong with the free services you used then why did you decide to pay?

I agree... you get what you pay for...

7. Patton

Patton
    [OP]

My my are we aggressive today,as most people know there are no longer any ISP in the Nova Scotia area providing free internet.

8. Cupid

Banned

No not agressive... I just think that if you're paying next to nothing for something you shouldn't expect a whole lot from it. But then again you're the one who is always lookign for free vcr's and things like that aren't you?

If you have ever had high speed internet you wouldn't care about paying $40 a month for it. It's definately worth it.

9. Teknic

High speed is so worth it... I heard Chebucto net has always had minor problems from people I know. They've used it, and did nothing but complain.

If you want reliable internet, and you plan to use the internet for 1hr a day or may, why not stop being so cheap and pay the $1.34 a day for High Speed from Aliant. My modem has been online without interrupltion (besides power) for almost 3 years.

10. Lowvez

LOL @ Professional

11. Patton

Patton
    [OP]

I am not cheap,but as you know the cost of living keeps going up and up and my repair business is dead as you all know.Everybody likes to do their homework before they pay for a product or service,at least I am honest about it and admit it.My car insurance renewal notice just came in the mail so did my rental increase letter notice.

12. Patton

Patton
    [OP]

I am being realistic about the rising cost of living,I am not cheap but you should know that even though I charge only $45 average (parts & labour included) to repair most consumer electronics people still call me by phone even after they see my detailed ad throughout the city which explains all of my prices and service in plain English and then nickle and dime me all the way,they are cheap.They have no respect for my services if they don't want to pay $45 or so don't call yet they call me and penny pinch me all the way and they are from all walks of life,I can name a few people from the RC site who were extremely difficult to deal with and they were tightwads but I will not mention names out of respect.

Many tv & vcr repair shops have folded over as most shops charge $100+ to repair + $45 or so for estimates,I on the other hand again charge only $45 total average,if people don't want to pay me for my services then where am I going to get money to pay for the basic necessities of life?every job I had was minimum wage and some jobs I and my co-workers were mislead and treated like dirt.I always tell people treat others the way you want to be treated,I am not attacking you just being realistic about life and in this case dial up internet and getting "FREE" tv's,vcr's and the like as people are all throwing them away and not bothering to pay $45 or so for me to fix it.

Everybody has different experiences in life,half of rich people out there or the ones that call themselves successfull that I know well never earned their livelyhood but instead were on the other side of the law and yet they want the public to believe that they are honest and worked hard in their life,I think not.Again I am not attacking you but giving you a chance to get to know my side of the story and where I come from and I agree with Sweetmel that newbees tend to be attacked the most when at RealityCheck.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  13. Cupid

Banned

"Newbees" don't get attacked just because they are new. They get "attacked" because of their posts. If anyone else complained that they're dialup internet that they were paying next to nothing for was not meeting their expectations then I would have the same reply.

As far as people nickle and diming you that happens everywhere in the world.

I doubt that you will get rich in appliance repair and by the sounds of it you're not having an easy time becoming very successful so maybe it's time to look into another career. You sound young enough that it's not too late.

I wasn't trying to attack you personally, I just think you get what you pay for and there's not much point in complaining about it. I know all about the cost of living, I've been on my own since I was 15 and we have a baby to support. I know all about budgeting, investing etc...

14. Teknic

Good points... Everyone's cost of living is going up at a crazy rate. And of course, the government doesn't help any of this - our dollar starts doing good, and they go out of their way to make sure the dollar sinks in value...

To slightly get back on topic, did they give you any settings that you must use with the modem? Or recommended settings? I know some ISP's differ in how they work, and 99% of them you never need to adjust settings for, but some you do.

If not that, then do you have another modem kicking around you can try, or a friends you can temporarily borrow? Does your phone line have ANY static on it at the phone jack that your modem plugs into? (Seems silly, but slight static can kick a modem off)

That's about all I can think of. Hope people start being better customers so you can afford high speed someday :)

15. Patton

Patton
    [OP]

No settings that I must use with modem or recommended.I will try to borrow another modem from a friend.Tomorrow I will contact Primus (my local phone carrier) and see if they can test my phone line.Thanks for the help.