Carleton University removes gym scale after people are offended

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Nick84, Mar 13, 2017.

1. NotASteer

Significantly better idea than forcing me to shoulder the cost! I like it!

2. Sue

Sue

I have no idea why everyone is pissing their pants over this. I have no idea why everyone is so upset because they took scales away from a gym but not from the ones who need it such as the rowers, lifters, etc. They still have the scales.
    The reason I said it was old as Planet Fitness is and always has been scale free and no one ever spoke about it. The YMCA in Ontario(East, I believe) is as well.
    I do have scales. I also do not have an eating disorder. I weigh myself maybe once a month. But, in all honesty, I go by the tape measure more as I have lost quite a bit of weight this past year and it was more in inches from working out. It would be nice if they did have scales to have them in more private areas as they are in front of everyone.

NotASteerNotASteer "We've gone over this in great detail. She won't return because she's obviously wrong and taking ownership of that causes headaches."
    Obviously, they think you are wrong or they would have kept them. What do I have to take ownership in? If you are working out at a gym, are you that into yourself that you cannot wait to get home to weigh yourself? As pointed out, it is like 12 bucks at Walmart for them?

Will they put them back? I think so...
    Will I sleep at night if they do or don't? For sure.
    It was just an observation. We all have different viewpoints which is good. No need to attack.

I will admit I am a very sensitive person and years ago, I would agree with everyone just not to have people come at me like this. Still, it actually makes me a bit anxious, but before I come back with an answer, I will research the Hell out of it to make sure the facts are correct.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  3. NotASteer

Well for starters you can take ownership for saying they aren't needed and then admitting they are. That's a start. Another is to tell us how you'd like us to measure BMI without the body mass.

And leaning on someone elses actions as proof is not only not how adults structure a debate, it's why this one exists so that's not going to fly.

4. Ameter

I don't understand why it's needed to remove scales. Your body weight is a useful data point. By no means is it the only data point. If you don't want that data, just don't use the scale.

24dsx-ual likes this.
  5. Gooch

Because there are a lot of people that have nothing in their life of any meaning. Complaining about something, anything makes them feel important and valuable. When the rest of the people listen and eventually take action to shut them up, it gives them validation and importance.
    It is fucking annoying and getting worse everyday because of the soapbox social media provides.
    Usually these people have shitty jobs, are unfit and lazy. Most protestors fit this description.

JP®, Dewie and Duggan like this.
  6. Cooper

FTP

How do you calculate body mass?

7. NotASteer

Fairies and ponies, duh

8. 24dsx-ual

obeyurcrotch

Exactly! The scale should be viewed as another piece of equipment at the gym. Any piece of equipment in the gym you have a choice of using it or not. F this world is out of control.

9. NotASteer

It it makes people feel feels that may cause them to realize they are fat and therefore a burden on society.

Plus we are using BMI, just without the BM... index yourself wherever the fuck you feel like on the "nuts" scale so you don't have to feel like the fatass you are!

10. Duggan

Apparently its the non fat-asses that are being triggered by the scales. Hopefully the same people are not effected by food ads on billboards, or TV commercials.

11. clicker666

Older lifter

So true! The scale is a helpful tool in tracking progress. It shouldn't be the only thing you are using, but definitely is a valid measuring device.

As far as the BMI conversation goes - the problem with BMI is that it really doesn't work for bodybuilder/weightlifting types very well. In the army we had issues with it being one of the medical criteria for entry (back in the late 80's early 90's), and lots of really fit guys were failing. We'd have to get a doc to say that they were not obese/overweight.