Carleton University removes gym scale after people are offended

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Nick84, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Nick84

Nick84
    [OP]

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/carleton-gym-remove-scale-controversy-1.4021378

Carleton University comes under heavy criticism after gym scale removed
    'Those who are offended by the scale can simply choose not to use the scale.'
    By Joe Lofaro, CBC News Posted: Mar 12, 2017 4:46 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 13, 2017 10:15 AM ET

[​IMG]
    Carleton University is facing online backlash after removing the gym scale in order to promote a more holistic approach to a healthy body image. (Shutterstock/VGstockstudio)

Carleton University is feeling the burn from students on social media for removing a weight scale from its gym to promote a more holistic approach to a healthy body image.

The recent move isn't sitting well with several students who are accusing the school of kowtowing to a small group of gym users who are easily offended.

"Next it will be the mirrors. #bringbackthescale," wrote one Carleton student on Facebook, while another said online, "Are you for real, Carleton? What a sick joke."

Details of the scale controversy were first reported in the university's student-run newspaper, The Charlatan, on Thursday. In more social media reaction, others wondered if the online article was satire.

The paper quotes one student as saying, "Scales are very triggering" for people with eating disorders.

University 'may reconsider' decision to remove scale from gym
    In an email to CBC News, Bruce Marshall, manager of wellness programs at Carleton, said it was the recreation and athletics department's decision to remove the scale and that it wasn't based on complaints.

Following three days of online backlash from students, Marshall told CBC, "we will weigh the pros and cons and may reconsider our decision."

The scale was removed two weeks ago "in keeping with current fitness and social trends," Marshall explained in his email.

"Although it can be used as a tool to help measure certain aspects of fitness it does not provide a good overall indication of health and here at athletics we have chosen to move away from focusing solely on bodyweight," he said.

"If you need a number to focus on in regard to reaching certain fitness goals we suggest using girth measurements. You can start by recording measurements in multiple areas, for example your torso, hips, chest, legs and arms. You would then revisit these measurements after a few weeks to keep tabs on your progress."

While many students have come out against the move, a few have applauded the gym for considering those with issues managing their weight.

In 2015, gym staff at the California State University removed its weight scales from locker rooms for one day in honour of National Eating Disorder Awareness Week.

Weight scale 'vital' for boxers, rowers, student says
    Aaron Bens, a communication and media studies student at Carleton, wrote to CBC that he is "frustrated" by the university's decision, which he argues is "the next escalation of trigger culture."

"We stand up for free speech and defend the books that offend certain people because of their merits. They can simply choose not to read them. This is the same thing. Those who are offended by the scale can simply choose not to use the scale," Bens wrote.

[​IMG]
    "Certain athletes like boxers and rowers rely on those measurements, for them the [scale] is vital."

Aidan Patten, a 21-year-old Carleton music student, said the scale controversy is generating some heated debate among his friends.

"A lot of people are just saying it's ridiculous, over the top. A lot of people lifting weights want to keep track of their weight. And then there's a few others that are disagreeing and saying it's more to remove the idea of people being obsessed over their weight," Patten said in an interview.

Gym should have consulted members first: student
    "If it's part of a trend, then I guess they're being trendy. But I personally – yeah it's too far."

The online outrage surrounding the issue is misplaced, according to Cameron Wales. The public affairs and policy management student said he understands Marshall's rationale, but said the university should have consulted with gym members before doing away with the scale.

"Certainly those groups who are affected by the scale being removed I would expect that they are being consulted on this decision and if they're not, that might have been an error on the part of the university," said Cameron, 21.

"It sounds like people on both sides – not that this issue necessarily has to have sides – there are concerns from people with different perspectives and those should all be addressed through consultation as best as possible."

:cheddar::cheddar::cheddar::cheddar:

2. Leviathan

It's all in your mind....

Obesity is not an eating disorder.

"Healthy body image" - this world is getting more and more fucked by the second. Ugggg

3. Duggan

"We have decided to move the heavier weights because some people get offended they are not strong enough to lift them"

4. Sue

Sue

In all reality, scales are very "old" now. They aren't needed. Measuring our body mass is a much better way of knowing but not going by the BMI method. That things is nuts. I would rather be 150Lbs and fit than 150Lbs and not. We all have different bone structures and fitness levels. Why they removed it is crazy...but do they need them? No.

5. MRA

MRA

Scales are 100% useful still for some people, like the article mentions any athlete that relies on making a certain weight

Cooper, ~*SuzieQ*~ and Sue like this.
  6. Sue

Sue

Yes...I get that part. And I agree.

7. Duggan

This whole "triggered" thing is ridiculous. It would be the equivalent of me going into a vegan restaurant and getting butt hurt because I decided I am going to be a carnivore and only eat met, yet they don't have anything for me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Cooper, Nick84 and boing like this.
  8. C. Mike Hunt

9. NotASteer

Do you know what you need to determine BMI?

One of the factors is YOUR WEIGHT.

Scales are highly effective at tracking progress, they are needed.

10. infatuous

Just another indiction of how fucking mad this world is. Jesus fucking christ people are pussies these days.

11. Sue

Sue

From a friend at the University:: "To help eating disorders and body dysmorphia they need to start at the source, with better mental health initiatives, not with an end game trigger. Removing the scale doesn't heal people, and now they're suggesting measurements, which just makes it more difficult to track, but those with unhealthy habits can still use measurements too."

12. Sue

Sue

Don't yell.. You are giving me a headache. I am just saying that scales are no more accurate than the BMI if you are an athlete. They are only good as said earlier if you are weighing in for a level in sports. There is more to the story. As they say, we only hear what they want us to

13. JoeLouie

At first glance I feel like this just has to be an article from The Onion, but nope, there are actually people that stupid.

I have a solution. If stepping on a scale triggers you... don't fucking step on the scale!

~*SuzieQ*~, v-mac and Dewie like this.
  14. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Pretty sure that boxing and wrestling aren't divided up into different BMI classes and when you're in a canoe you aren't required to meet certain mass levels.

15. NotASteer

I like how you state so emphatically that scales are not needed, then talk about BMI which actually requires the use of a scale in the calculations, then mention how they are in fact necessary in sports and athletics... which is the exact audience gyms are intended for.

So since you've completely contradicted yourself, what exactly are you saying?

Lmao @ headache via txt, pls be grown!

16. hank

Pretty sure she said body mass but not using the BMI method.

Not sure which method she is using but maybe it doesn't require a scale?

Sue likes this.
  17. slouse

Who, going to the gym, isn't trying to either gain or lose weight?

This is fucking ridiculous

18. NotASteer

I mean.... wat. If we all agree that measuring mass requires a scale of sorts, which we do and will because it does... then, I mean, are we using volume? Is stuffing plumpers in a water tank to see what they displace really where we are? Or, I.. man I'm really struggling here do we even know what mass is in this instance?! Lmao

So just so we are clear, we measure body mass *with a scale*. Therefore; body mass calcs but not BMI because it's "nuts" (how is it nuts?!) would be measured by standing on said scale. BMI itself is merely a way of *indexing* body mass using weight (measured on a scale) against height. Body Mass = your weight. Index = your height. Seems very simple, so I'm curious how it's nuts.

Probably gonna be headaches for days having to think about this. :|

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  19. Miss Shawty

I just weighed myself, took my boots off and lost 2 pounds #winning? :kekeke:

20. Gooch

This is not a joke?
    The older I get the more I just fucking hate people

21. Ameter

Whether you use BMI or not is irrelevant - 150lbs is 150lbs. It's a data point, not a value judgement.

22. Ameter

This sort of safe space bullshit is why people wound up running to Trump. People are sick of this hand-holding, coddling bullshit.

23. NotASteer

^ gets it

24. Leviathan

Did you know all "eating disorders" combined only equals like 2-4% of the population?

What about the other 96-98% - why do they get punished?

25. NotASteer

Because participation trophies

Smokey and LMAC like this.
  26. Leviathan

True. I just posted in this thread - now I want/deserve a "posted in that thread" participation trophy!!!

27. Cooper

FTP

How do you measure body mass?

28. NotASteer

We've gone over this in great detail. She won't return because she's obviously wrong and taking ownership of that causes headaches.

But apparently she uses volume.

Cooper likes this.
  29. Duggan

Why don't they set up a dunk tank and we can start to measure the displacement, that seems easier.

30. NotASteer

Yeah I mentioned measuring volume twice

31. Duggan

You're so smart and handsome. Stick around this time.

32. LMAC

_

Agreed

BMI is useless anyway says im overweight or obese i cant remember, i also cant remember the last time i checked my BMI.

Also Scales are like 12 bucks at walmart so anyone who they are "trying to help" will just go buy their own

33. 17

teenage dirtbag

no becasue then that's too much like a pool so fat people are gonna wanna wear tshirts in it and it will skew the data

34. NotASteer

Oh great now we are shaming fats for covering up thier blubber when we really don't want to see that anyway!

Wait, was that offensive?! Idk maybe shaming people into being healthier and not being such a drain on societies resources (or spilling over into my seat in the plane) isn't such a bad idea....

35. Duggan

Or have thresholds for health care, if you can't fit into a set criteria, then you have to start ponying up for your health care.