Canon G9 vs G10

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by spender, Mar 3, 2009.

1. spender

spender
    [OP]

im basically looking to pick up a good quality point and shoot to use for traveling and vacations. Mainly so i wont be stressed the whole time wondering if the if the nice lady doing the housekeeping is jacking my gear. I have been looking into the G9 and G10, mainly because i know they have some great features, being able to shoot raw being one of them. I have been noticing that the G9's seem to be more expensive, i was just wondering why that might be.

2. CTMFC

Just get insurance on your gear. That's what I have to do. No worries then!...haha

3. spender

spender
    [OP]

how much is that ?

4. lost

seasoned n00b

Highly depends on your insurance company. Give them a call.

5. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Before you do that, remember, if you are using the camera for business its important to let them know that. If you aren't then it is most likely already covered under your home policy, however remember, there is a deductible you have to pay, and you also need to ask yourself if its worth putting in a claim for that amount. You can also add a camera floater, which costs extra, however does away with the deductible.

6. Andrew

Social Worker To Be..

From here on in, its your partners camera, not used for business.

7. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

They aren't stupid. Insure properly. Wouldn't you like to know that in the event all your gear is damaged you *might* be eligible for coverage of lost income? Of course this varies from policy to policy, but there is no reason not to cover your ass properly. If saving money short term is the name of the game, why even insure in the first place?

8. brokenhat

I have a G9 and love it. The complaints I have heard about the G10 are mostly to do with the sensor. Too many mega pixels in too small a size which creates a ton of noise, even at ISO 200. Canon had to keep up with the Jones so made a poor design decision. The wider lens than the G9 would be welcome though.

9. Syrus

The Frenchman

Insure your gear and you're set. Mine is insured for business purposes, make sure to check with the if your gear will be insured outside Canada/US. If you get the Home Run Business coverage it doesn't cover you if you leave Canada/US.

In my case a floater linked to my home insurance policy was better, since it was insurance for my gear that I use for "business" purposes I had to pay 2.50$ per 100$ of gear insured which isn't bad at all... after all it's all deductible at the end of the year.

Get insurance for the gear that you'll be taking with you and if you need more coverage for the stuff you left home, get the home run business that covers you for 5k for a couple of extra bucks.