Cancer patient wants to grow his own medical marijuana

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by B!tch, Apr 15, 2016.

1. B!tch

B!tch
    [OP]
    So damn Nug-a-licious

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/brain-cancer-trudeau-legalize-marijuana-1.3529437

A Nova Scotia man living with brain cancer is appealing to the prime minister in an effort to get a licence to grow medical marijuana.

Dave Murphy, 27, says he wrote to Justin Trudeau and is speaking out now because he wants to put pressure on the federal government to move forward with legislation to legalize and regulate home-grown medical marijuana.

Murphy has a licence to possess medical marijuana, but questions why he can't also grow cannabis on the small farm where he lives in Blandford, N.S.

"I'd like to be able to make my own, that I know everything that goes into it," he said. "So I can actually treat it as a medicine in the proper fashion where I understand what I am taking in and I can control it," he said.

Impatient patient

In February, a Federal Court judge struck down federal regulationsrestricting the rights of medical marijuana patients to grow their own cannabis. The court gave the Liberal government six months to come up with new rules.

Murphy told Radio-Canada he's becoming impatient and has considered growing a small amount of marijuana himself, so he could cut up whole plants and make an edible solution he could use as needed.

"Even if it's just the hope it gives me, I want to fight for that," he said.

Up until now, Murphy has relied on mail-order marijuana, which he says is expensive and doesn't have the quality or strength he wants.

He also purchases some products from dispensaries, though he says they still fall under a "gray area" of the law. He was present when Farm Assists on Gottingen Street was searched last fall, an incident he says triggered PTSD.

Coping using cannabis

Murphy discovered he had a brain tumour five years ago, after getting an MRI for an unrelated head injury. He was in his third year of university. He says cannabis has been one of the things that has helped him cope with the diagnosis.

Moving to a rural area where he can work outside has given him new focus.

"I needed to feel like I was fighting cancer myself, at least a little bit. And try to find a life I could life happily," he said.

Murphy says after reading extensively about nutrition he set up a small garden and started experimenting with hens. This year, he's setting up a greenhouse on his property and has plans to fish and raise turkeys and chickens.

But Murphy struggles with night terrors and PTSD, which he says are linked to his diagnosis and the many procedures that followed.

At one point, he underwent an eight-hour surgery that removed part of his brain while he was still awake.

"Some mornings I wake up and I've had dark dreams and I can't remember. I'll cry and I'll dry heave into the toilet and I'll shake and I'll feel like it's freezing cold in my house. I know it's those fears that get to me," he said.

"Frankly I roll up a joint or I turn on a vaporizer and that really helps me shake it off. I go for a walk, spend some time with my dogs and try to build myself back up into a good day. "

Dave's original message:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/4dwe98/an_appeal_to_trudeau_a_cancer_patients_attempt_to/

This last week it's another MRI down, and another 6 months post-chemo with no growth. That doesn't mean everything is okay, but it's a load off my back coming into summer. Looking at the time leading to this point, and spending a lot of time thinking about what matters to me, what helped me get here, and what I am going to do moving forward I found a point I need to speak up for.

Until recently I was moderate or skeptical at times on my relationship with cannabis as a medical support and tool of self-management. I learned young that as soon as I stop doubting myself I give up clarity of judgment, and was reminded of that when I had a mental breakdown into a manic episode in the depths of chemotherapy. It took me a long time to trust myself and the feelings I had inside, I needed to assess them and be sure I was comfortable with openly taking them as my beliefs.

This is it though. I've gone another 6 month, and other than the PTSD/anxiety I deal with, especially around MRI's, I'm actually healthier than I have been in a long time. I'm weighing less than I have since high school, but not in a wasting away fashion. I've conciously chosen to drastically change and improve my diet, and have worked very hard at finding peace and happiness. Those who are around me in my life, though there aren't many, can speak for that.

Frankly, to not project arrogance, I do believe I am handling living with brain cancer very well. And I don't just believe, but know, that things would be drastically different without my support from cannabis. Whether I'd have killed myself, ended up in the mental hospital, the tumor was worse, or I'd just had a less positive life experience through these years, it would have been a very different path.

This year I am looking into a new future, I am beginning to try and grow my own food, both animals and plants, I'm working on forming an active, positive lifestyle that helps me deal with the stress. Again, the peace of mind and positive outlook I find to seek this path I sincerely don't believe I could take without this support.

Now, I am a young man starting a small farm in Blandford. I can grow my own vegetabes, even grow animals to butcher and prepare for my meat. However I can't grow a simple plant, no harder to grow than tomatoes, which is holding my life together. I just can not respect that.

In the link I'm sharing there are a pair of letters I wrote to the Prime Minister in an attempt to be heard. The first came after being present in an aggressive raid on our best, and at the time only, local dispensary. The second I wrote just this morning. There is further explanation within what I wrote there, and honestly if you care about me, believe in me, and want to help please at least take the time to read it. And if you support what I believe in, share this post, or the one I linked to, or express your own opinion! If we want changes to happen, we really do need to be heard.

If you read all this, thanks very much. And if you choose to stand up and take action in support, you might be changing my life.

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Good medical marijuana is pricey ($12.50/g + tax). If you're using a ton of it, it can add up to thousands of dollars. Should definitely be able to grow your own if you have a medical license. Once they legalize it, you should also be able to grow a limited amount as well.

3. B!tch

B!tch
    [OP]
    So damn Nug-a-licious

Dave is a friend of mine. Really great guy.

Another friend was prescribed a spray and it was over $800. She couldn't afford it, and truly does need it. Unacceptable!!!

4. infatuous

And yet they hand out anti-depressants and opiates like candy. What a racket.

tribeachpunk, ouird and B!tch like this.
  5. Cooper

FTP

Give it time and medical weed will be a racket too.

6. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

BootsBoots should be able to hook him up

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Big suprise that StangStang's view on marijuana is similar to that of my great grandmother :rofl:

tribeachpunk, Cooper and Scott like this.
  8. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Just say No.

Users are losers.

9. hank

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I bet half the kids you spend your weekends playing games with are stoned :lol:

Cooper likes this.
  11. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Maybe .... ScottScott seems incoherent at times ...

12. Duggan

I know I guy that tried to make his own Oxycontin. You probably don't want to do that.

13. Scott

rawr

your rambling hate speech can do that to a person :o

14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

:rofl: @ marijuana making you 'incoherent'

It's not alcohol :lol:

15. Relentless

Daily pot smoking 1%er signing in. :rollup:

briangtiguy, Boots and Scott like this.
  16. C. Mike Hunt

The 80s called. They want their bullshit clichés back.

B!tch likes this.
  17. Wayne

I watched my mom smoke up a big fat high quality joint last night...amazing how much less pain and anxiety she has, she fell asleep within an hour.