Cancer and aids

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Smokey, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

You have the power to create a cure for one or the other, which do you choose and why?

2. Vance

Cancer.

With medication you can live 20 years after diagnosis of AIDS now-a-days. Within 20 years I'm sure something better will come along to extend that.

3. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

I should add, an aids vaccination is apparently ready for human trials, Cooper can elaborate I'm sure

4. ShortySi

5. dynadude

Cancer, without a doubt.

6. Hiltzy

cancer....two reasons....

1 - I know many more people who have been effected by cancer than I do that have been affected by aids/hiv
    2 - unless you live in a 3rd world country, you normally having to be doing something health risky (dirty needle drug use, unprotected sex with randoms) in order to be infected with HIV...not saying that its all cases...but in the majority of cases.

7. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

Exactly my thoughts. Aside from babies, and law enforcement/ bad medical procedures, aids is usually obtained thru stupidity.

8. boing

Cancer

9. John Doe

Cancer, easy.

It just seems like to me, in a predominant majority of cases, HIV is the result of bad decisions.

10. PDizzle

2legit2quit

why not make it a more difficult decision and change the options to Cancer and Heart Disease?

11. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

Heart disease doesn't usually sneak up on you, usually there is family history, bad diet, high blood pressure etc that can give u an advance warning. Of coure there are young healthy people that can drop dead from a heart attack, but it's rare. Usually you don't go into the doc and find out you have 6 months to live and fuck all you can do about it.

12. thunder

my av is me

Cancer is also caused by bad decisions. Red meat, other bad food, smoking, alcohol, certain jobs, even sex/STIs can cause (or contribute to) cancer.

I'd would say cancer because it probably affects more of the population, but at the same time... population growth is already out of control and we wont be able to sustain this kind of growth for much longer. If people stopped dying of cancer, then we'd really be fucked.

So AIDS - so I can at least feel a little more comfortable making my "bad decisions"

PS - it should really be HIV, not "AIDS".

13. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

Causes of cancer change weekly. Yes obviously smoking and asbestos are pretty much a guarantee, the rest seems to change study by study.

14. Strathmore

Freedom is being bold.

Not to direct my post at you at all thunder, but that is the modern wrongheaded way of saying something that pretty much typifies modern pop culture. There is no link to moderate consumption of any chocolate bar, pop, or red meat causing cancer. EXCESSIVE and exclusivity to the exclusion of better choices, and lack of exercise does that.

Drink too much pure spring water and you die of Hyponatremia. Context is almost always lacking.

I advise the nervous nellys to read How to Lie with Statistics as a primer.
    Don't even get me started on the biased papers shoveled to dumb reporters as PR pieces.

http://www.cspiscam.com/
    Above is a page that debunks one of the worst offenders - The Center for “Science” in the Public Interest (CSPI)

Most people hear an official sounding name and forward politically or agenda driven pseudo-science to everyone they know.

Read this concerning MSG...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/aug/12/msg-allergy-chinese-restaurant-syndrome-myth

It's like the research about artifical sweetners link to cancer in rats....

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  15. Ryan_NS

Cancer. Basically because if we all lived long enough we'd all die of cancer, regardless of how healthy you live.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  16. Ryan_NS

17. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

I just meant dealing with needles/blood/losers that would bleed/spit etc on you

18. Ryan_NS

Yea I just re-read what you wrote. Needles can be an issue I suppose. But from what I have readr zero risk of HIV from spitting and unless you are rubbing a fresh open wound against the virus.

Hepatitis and TB is the real threat.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  19. ouird

I'm Weird

im biased.
    Cancer w/out a doubt.
    Both my Mom and Dad died from it way too soon for me.

20. Majarvis

Cancer.

21. Scott

rawr

22. Cooper

FTP

Zero risk ONLY if there is spit on closed skin. What about mucous membranes like eyes? Definitely contractable that way.

Also, Cancer, obviously. There's a major biased to this question, I'm sure most wowuld pick cancer as most know one or more people affected.

23. Jake

Cancer without a doubt.

24. QuickDrive

Cancer scares the shit out of me.
    Lets cure that up.

25. SilverMan

The Spud

I'm also biased.

Cancer without a doubt.

This will be the second Christmas without my mother. Watching someone die from various cancers is very difficult.

26. ingress

_

My answer is going to be not well received but

Neither - as a human race we are well over our sustainable population, AIDS and all other mass epidemics the plaugue, malaria etc are the earths way of fighting back very similar how we as organisms fight viruses with antibodies earth is just trying to rid itself of a parasite
    and cancer I believe is already curable as it is caused by how we live our lives and exploit the worlds resources in ways that nature never intended, we as a collective has caused the majority of the cancer.

27. Bald

Birthplace Removed

It's weird that I agree and part of me dissagrees.

I want to see a cure for HIV/Aids but also understand that if we do then millions of lives in third world Countries will get to die of Starvation, Famine, Malaria, or another way.

HIV/Aids is also not Just contracted via bad choices, many people contract the virus through ways that are not their choice. Rape being a large one, Mother-child, blood transfusion, etc.

Cancer is a one that I woudl hand over my life if it meant finding a cure.

28. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

This.

29. KLD

KLD

Cancer. Yes, if more diseases were cured, the popultation would grow and cause even more problems than we have now, but when it comes to seeing people you love with this disease (or any other disease), you don't really think about that and just wish they could be cured.

Also, if there was some sort of end-all cure for mental illnesses, that would be fantastic.....but I doubt that would ever happen. Just wishful thinking. My dad had a stroke, cancer, and now has severe mental problems that are probably related to a rare form of dementia. Some people just can't get a break. My heart goes out to anyone on this board who has had to deal with severe health issues themselves or have family memebers with health issues.

30. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

Cancer.

31. John Doe

I don't know that living in areas that are exposed to certain chemicals, working in certain conditions that expose people to cancer-causing agents and all of that constitute the same level of "bad decisions" as, say, drug use and unprotected sex. It isn't like all cancer is caused by smoking. I wasn't aware that cervical cancer, prostate cancer, etc were always the result of bad decisions... or that perhaps eating specific foods was on the same level of Heroin use.

At any rate, I've posted my opinion on this and you're free to go ahead and argue it like you always do. Should I just go ahead and put the bits in about how you're disappointed because you thought I was more intelligent than having an opinion that is different than yours?

32. Grifter

Bluh?

Cancer, it's effected many people I've known, including claiming the life of my father.

33. thunder

my av is me

I wasn't aware that I had suggested what you stated above. I find it funny that you get frustrated when people put words in your mouth, when you clearly need to do this to start an argument.

Cervical cancer is caused by HPV, which is caused by unprotected sex. Nuns dont get cervical cancer.

Smoking, in my personal opinion, is just as bad of a decision as unprotected sex or injection drug use. Heck, maybe even worse since you aren't getting an orgasm or high off of it.

I never suggested that all cancer was the result of bad decisions, or that the bad decisions that result in cancer are just as "bad" as those that result in HIV (though many cases of HIV have nothing at all to do with "bad decisions", just like cancer). I challenged your logic on an internet message board to stimulate conversation... SWEET JESUS.

34. Ryan_NS

From what I can gather through talking to Doctor's and checking online is that saliva virtually never carries any infectious HIV at all. In regards to mucous membranes, I actually talked to a few Doctor's regarding this and it was agreed upon that HIV would have a extremley slim chance of passing through a mucous membrane. Research suggests that the risk of HIV infection after mucous membrane exposure is less than 1 in 1000.

35. Wayne

Cancer...aids is preventable.