1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(cancel?) Canada Day 2021

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Grifter

Bluh?

You're not wrong.

2. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

You should try it. Please record it and put it on Instagram.

3. LMAC

_

Yeah its pretty crazy my daughter came home started talking about the residential schools, i know we were never taught it.. and she is in the Catholic School board.

4. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I remember being taught about the resedential schools at a base level at least - ie: I knew that they existed and that there was mis-treatment. It was a long time ago so I can't remember all the details but it was something I was taught. Was it part of the curriculum or did I just have a history teacher who cared? Dunno.

5. KMD

KMD

I know my first nation wife has a BBQ planned and her kids are coming, one is coming from out of town tomorrow night and staying for the weekend the other lives her in town. :canada:

6. Grifter

Bluh?

I took Mic-mac studies in high school. I honestly don't remember getting much out of it. I do recall something about this but couldn't tell you much about what the teacher told us.

That being said, as I get older my perspective on things definitely shifts and what I had zero interest in learning in high school I definitely take more of an interest in now. Would I view what I learned back then differently now? Hell yeah I would. Would something like this have caught my attention with my perspective now back then? Hell yeah!

I in no means try to take away from what happened. Again, it's terrible. But people were different then. The institutions we have in place now likely would have shut all that shit down at the first discovery. Hell, that wasn't that much longer after slavery. We learn through our mistakes. Times change. Thank god we don't do that shit anymore.

7. Goodson

I never heard of the residential schools until I moved to the NWT, to be honest. I was never taught a thing about them.

8. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I agree that we live in more enlightened times. It doesn't mean that we should look at the mistakes and say, "yep, well we learned a big lesson there!" and just move on. It's why the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_and_Reconciliation_Commission_of_Canada

I know a lot of people look at life on a reservation or how a lot of First Nations folks end up living with disdain. "Why can't they just get a job like a normal person?" - the truth is that they are still living with the repercussions of what went on in the Residential Schools. It wasn't just the death of all these children but the sexual abuse, torture, etc - it was a cultural genocide and the repercussions of what happened there are still being dealt with today. It isn't something money can just be thrown at and will take time to come to terms with.

Gerald and Grifter like this.
  9. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

What has she had to say about the bodies that were found? Did she have to attend any of the residential schools? Genuinely curious, not being my sometimes-dickish self.

10. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I definitely learned a lot more about the residential schools on my trips to the Yukon. I'm assuming because of the low overall population, the effects of those schools on the First Nations populations is more obvious? I know it is partly why I have family that left Dawson - raising kids in that environment can be pretty dangerous.

I wonder if I learned more about this as a kid simply because I started off my elementary school career at Milford Elementary. The only residential school in the Maritimes was right next door in Shubenacadie and it only closed about 8 years before I was born. Even when we moved to Truro, there were a fair number of kids who either went to Truro schools or there ended up being a lot of fights between kids in Truro and kids from Shubenacadie or even closer. Knowledge of the residential schools and what a lot of those kids' parents had gone through was part of my upbringing.

11. Grifter

Bluh?

Absolutely. And that is not at all what I meant. I agree with you entirely.

HairyAss likes this.
  12. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

I went to Hants East for Jr High and Sr High.. there were definitely a lot of fights between the kids who lived on the reserves versus not on the reserves. I used to give them a fair shake, but I've just seen too much abuse of what they have been outright given, or receive (as their agreed rights) for much less than someone who isn't status. Given, as previously posted, perhaps that is a repercussion of what they had to deal with in the past.

I will never condone what was done to them in the residential school system or the fact that "reserves" are even a thing in the first place, to be clear. There is a lot of defeatism that seems completely needless in current day, however, and I hope that with the existing social climate and interest in righting the old wrongs helps put an end to that.

13. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I'll see if I can dig up some articles that go into that "defeatism" / "abuse of what they have been outright given" - it is absolutely a fallout of the residential schools and how the older folks were brought up. As a result, many of them ended up abusing drugs/alcohol and have no idea what it takes to bring up kids. This is the same for any population that has generational abuse - it's well studied and documented, not just people being lazy and 100% why you can't just throw money at it.

And... I'm sorry you had to go to Hants East. :P

14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

For a guy who chose to leave the best country in the world for Trump's America, you sure do talk a lot of shit about where people are from lol

15. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Ignoring the bait.

Grifter likes this.
  16. KMD

KMD

She has found it very upsetting but at the same time she is also not surprised because the elders in Kamloops have been saying the bodies have been there for years and nothing was done by the Government. I hate to make this prediction but I think they are going to find bodies all across Canada at every residential school they check and it makes my stomach turn.
    No she nor any of her siblings did not have to attend luckily.

17. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Thanks. It definitely feels like we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg so far.

I've been trying to do some research/reading on Government vs. Church involvement on this one - sounds like general mass fuckery by both (and probably led by Big C Catholic politicians in Government). More recently, it looks like Paul Martin was trying to get some resolution to things at one point but lost his government and Stephen Harper didn't do anything with it, nor has Trudeau since he got in power. The Catholic Church still takes their holier than thou attitude and from what I've read were mostly angry with Paul Martin for legalizing same sex marriage to even look at this and then used their massive lawyer team to quash retribution payments.

18. chainsaw

I can see the whole not celebrate Canada this year. We all believe we live in a great country, but it was that same country that created residential schools, and turned a blind eye to the atrocities that were taking place in them. The finding of the mass graves was in close proximity to Canada day, there's reason one why it was picked to "cancel", and two we are celebrating the country that did this. and supported the residential schools. You can look back at the US and the big confuffle about the Confederate statues and symbols and how that made the African American population feel living their lives being reminded of that part of history daily in a celebratory manner. Canada tried to destroy the indigenous population, and with the finding of the graves, to still celebrate Canada day is like saying yeah that sucks what happened to your people, but hey Canada is the best country in the world. Can you see what I am trying to say? I'm not anti Canada, but maybe we should show some respect this year? I'm not talking anti Canada or Anti Government rallies, I'm just saying maybe lay back this year out of respect.

And for those saying my families in the past didn't have anything to do with it, you do realize that the last school closed in 1997, most of you were still in high school or younger. I was reading an article yesterday about a residential style school still operating currently in the NWT.

This could be you or your parents generations that would have been affected personally if you were Native.

HairyAss likes this.
  19. KMD

KMD

I say do what you want and feel comfortable with, it's a tough situation and based on everyone's situation.

What I have discovered in my short time learning about the residential schools.
    (I don't remember learning about them in school but I don't remember learning about a lot of thing in school.)

The last one closed in 1997
    Harper did apologize for the residential schools during his time as PM
    This is a comment from former PM PET when he was forced to withdraw his "White Paper"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/196
    9_White_Paper#:~:text=In%201970%2C%20Trudeau%20withdrew%20the,gather%20support%20for%20its%20opposition.
    The Catholic church will never apologize for this even though their Priest and Nuns were getting these Native boys and girls drunk and sexually assaulting them. I am having a hard time typing tis shit. I have to stop

20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Isn't it weird that Harper apologized for the schools while they were still operating? Why weren't they shut down then?

chainsaw and Grifter like this.
  21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I can't believe it took me this long to clue in that KMD is boing :rofl:

KMD and Grifter like this.
  22. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

As soon as you said native wife, I had to do an ip check :rofl:

Grifter likes this.
  23. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

KMDKMD/Boing if you had of acted like KMD from the get go, you'd still be using your boing account.. wtf man

Grifter likes this.
  24. Grifter

Bluh?

I've been saying it for months!!!! :lol:

KMD likes this.
  25. Grifter

Bluh?

I concur with this. Glad he apologized and allowed it to get some air time but still, why not just drop the hammer then....?

26. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'm honestly impressed with his ability to act. Also very unimpressed with my ability to figure out the obvious lol

KMD, LMAC and Grifter like this.
  27. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

He was probably banking on the fact that most Canadians have no idea what these schools are/were

28. Grifter

Bluh?

The odd sayings.... The way he uses the emoticons, the unique grammar, the fucking TIMING and how kmd has been around for awhile but suddenly was holding the conservative line with me. :lol:.

Don't have a mid life crisis and turn from IT guy/app guy into a detective Steve! It won't work out quite as well! :lol:

Boots likes this.
  29. Grifter

Bluh?

Maybe. Can't wrap my head around it though.

I still listen to radio in the mornings and on my drive home. It's some kind of "Listen" day for the stuff that went on, giving the indigiounus the mic all day and letting them tell their stories/shed some light on what happened. Going to try to check some of it out.

chainsaw likes this.
  30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Be warned. Some of the things that went on were disgusting. I listened to one lady talk about being force fed her own vomit after getting sick from being force fed.. it was so brutal :(

31. Grifter

Bluh?

Jesus. Hopefully day time radio is more "censored". Don't want to hear that kind of stuff to start my day.

32. chainsaw

But that's exactly what we need to hear to try and understand the shit that went on in those "schools" ;)

Grifter likes this.
  33. C. Mike Hunt

34. Grifter

Bluh?

You're right. In hindsight my post could be interpreted as a bit selfish. But you're right.

chainsaw likes this.
  35. KMD

KMD

I thought you would have caught the email address change or at least the IP or something Admin Nerdy.
    I was going through a tough time with my pain back then my Doctor wasn't working with me to help manage things but now we have thing going OK even though I have bad days. I have been giggling every time you guys bring up my name even though most times completely out of context as me being ant-mask, ani-vax, AltRight.
    And BootsBoots I was not "acting" this is Me, the boing you banned was the boing you (#RC) wanted. Now that everyone knows I am boing watch everyone go on the defensive and I will have no option but to do the same.
    Now that I am back here is a story to read
    https://www.princegeorgecitizen.com...7jojAHs0vNRN-Zfn2XBuxSvsS53d4yih6ORPLzsvaLNfw

I mean. Boing WTF is a boing?

Boots, Grifter and Wayne like this.