1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(cancel?) Canada Day 2021

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Jun 28, 2021.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Not joining in on cancelling Canada Day this year?

Grifter likes this.
  2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Hell no. I'm fully on board acknowledging that our indigenous people have been treated pretty horrifically but part of being able to acknowledge those failures and work to correct them is what makes this a great country. Canada may have it's negatives but I realize how lucky I am to live here and I'm going to celebrate that :canada:

briangtiguy and Nick84 like this.
  3. KMD

KMD

Are you teaching them to read and write as well, next thing they will want to go to school. Aren't you in Canada's Florida?:bounce:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Grifter likes this.
  4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Just gotta get their grade nine and then it's off to the tar sands :rofl:

5. KMD

KMD

That's not very nice, your daughter is going to be racing a raked out s2000 up and down Sackville Drive bouncing off the rev limiter before you know it. :lol2:

I am sorry I don't have kids that you can raz me about but I decided a long time ago that I had too many health issues to worry about passing along.

6. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

It's ok, we have plenty of material to raz you about lol

KMD likes this.
  7. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I understand. All Lives Matter.

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Has nothing to do with anyone's race. Has to do with living in the best country in the world and being happy about it. There's nothing wrong with firing off some fireworks for the kids to celebrate living here.

Nick84 likes this.
  9. Grifter

Bluh?

*Oil Sands. :lol:

I have no issues if my kids want to work in the oil sands. I have an education and a great career in the emergency services and get to train firefighters and help them reach their goals. And I'm making great money doing it.

If they want to get a trade, I'll support them. If they want to become an engineer and work in the oils sands? I'll support them. If they chose to move to Perth and study the migration patterns of a Peruvian Kangaroo, I'll support them. May internalize some questions but I'll support them. :lol:

Bottom line, aim higher. Need a high school diploma to work in the oilsands.

If this were the Tar Ponds in Cape Breton though, I may have a different answer!

KMD likes this.
  10. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I know, it’s harder/inconvenient to sit down and teach our kids some history and explain why celebrating this year might not make sense.

Grifter likes this.
  11. Wayne

I personally am not taking in Canada Day stuff:shrug2:

12. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Just to be clear, BootsBoots - I know I'm being a bit of a prick. I personally think there is room for both but I can completely get behind folks cancelling plans for Canada Day out of respect. I 100% agree that Canada is an amazing country - it's a choice everyone needs to make as far as how much this atrocity gets recognized and it doesn't necessarily have to be Canada Day... but I can see the significance it can make to First Nations people especially this year to stand down and mourn with them as opposed to saying, "yep, that's horrible", and then straight to setting of fireworks.

Wayne likes this.
  13. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Emily could teach you a thing or two about Canadian history. The stuff they are taught that we weren't is mind blowing. It's pretty awesome to see them learn the stuff that was kept from us.

chainsaw, KMD and HairyAss like this.
  14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I appreciate your view as a foreigner but I think you should focus more on your own countries many problems :lol:

KMD and Grifter like this.
  15. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I think the US could definitely learn a few things from what I’ve seen in response so far from Canada. Actually had an amazing conversation with fans at the Sounders game on Saturday night - Vancouver was the opponent and were wearing orange arm bands. Lots of discussion of similar atrocities that have never been properly acknowledged in the US that people barely know about.

16. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Examples? Just want to make sure this isn’t your “Sackville ignorance” shining through. ;)

Grifter likes this.
  17. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

you're brave. its a force out there and you're the only one i've heard tell of that's going to go at it like everythings normal

Grifter likes this.
  18. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Well the indigenous teachings for one. They've been taught a huge amount about that stuff that we were never taught. I mean the early years of my schooling included starting the day with the lord's prayer so I'm not surprised my education lacked in some ways in regards to our history.

19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah I have no problem celebrating Canada. I can still celebrate Canada and acknowledge the suffering of some of the indigenous communities. The two are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to pick one or the other.

KMD, briangtiguy and Grifter like this.
  20. Matt30

While this is sending the thread off track, I share the same views as boots. I will be celebrating my relationship with the country and the life it’s allowed me to live. Even with everything thats come to light lately, there’s still many worse places to be. It’s not a celebration of the government, they’ve got work to do. I wasn’t involved in any of that mess, but I will say it will be hard for me to sit back and enjoy a care free beer by a fire in my back yard without thinking about how awful it is that those kids never got to experience the same. I’ll be pouring one out for my little homies.

21. Grifter

Bluh?

This. Myself, my family, my ancestors had nothing to do with this. That's doesn't mean I don't view what happened as terrible. It is horrific. But I also recognize it didn't happen last year. It's been a long time. I'm glad it's finally grabbing the headlines and respect it deserves. It's truly terrible. But I am still Canadian, I will still celebrate Canada Day.

Yeah yeah, I know I'm not happy with the state of my country and no longer view it as the greatest country on earth. But I know it will rise again and I'll always be Canadian.

KMD likes this.
  22. Grifter

Bluh?

:werd:

23. Goodson

internets!

What if we did something meaningful, like say -- make a national holiday about it (indigenous remembrance day?) -- while keeping "Canada day" a separate entity?

a day where we pay respects, try to bridge the gap and heal old wounds.....

Do it in June...

then a few weeks later --- we all have an absolute rippin' Canada Day -- and everyone is invited to that party.

That's what President Goodson would do if he were hypothetically in charge. I expect you all to vote for me and my zany plans

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  24. Gerald

Respectfully, I think that the movement to not celebrate Canada Day this year is to make an acknowledgement that even though most Canadians (historical or present) may not have participated directly in these atrocities, we have all benefited from them. If you can call Canada home and you're not indigenous, at some point you or your family have benefited from what was done to our First Nations people by the Government of Canada. The land and resources that were taken away helped to prop up Canada during its infancy and even to this day.

I also think that part of the movement to cancel Canada Day this year is that it's at least a partial recognition that we're starting to acknowledge our participation in genocide and that maybe this is the time to mourn Canada's past instead of celebrating it.

chainsaw and HairyAss like this.
  25. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

depending on how far off the beaten trail you are, i would have a more political approach to celebrating. Listen i have big fuck off box of fireworks and i want to throw a party, but its the optics of it and given how many people are on the cancel canada day bandwagon this year, chances of creating an controversy or incident because someone doesn't share the same views as you is high.

26. Matt30

100% this can’t be forgotten. And I recognize that. But at the same time that’s the best thing I can do, recognize and sympathize. Me not making the best of a celebratory holiday won’t change the past.

Its a good look on the government to kind of lay low and not throw a big fuck off celebration at this time and say hey look how great we are. They fucked up hard and kept it from everyone. I would like to think that even back then if the general public found out what was going on, there would be outrage to save those kids.

Grifter and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  27. PirateSteve

Why not cancel Christmas and Easter. Wouldn't that be a more directed approach of protest?

28. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I’m having trouble seeing the connection between these discoveries and Canada day other than them occurring close to each other. Seems like it would be more logical to cancel Christmas, the holiday celebrating the Birth of the leader of the religion that this was committed in the name of.

29. 17

teenage dirtbag

Cancelling events that weren’t going to happen due to pandemic restrictions is nothing but a hollow gesture. Let me know when something of consequence happens like revoking the catholic church’s tax exemption

briangtiguy, Scott and Grifter like this.
  30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The whole cancel Canada Day movement is a movement of convenience created on social media imo. The government said no Canada Day celebrations this year due to covid, we suggest you think about the indigenous people instead. Social media latched onto it and cancel Canada Day was born.

tribeachpunk, Nick84 and Grifter like this.
  31. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

AQA
    Do you go outside and yell at the sky in anger over social media?

32. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

I mean, we've reached a point a while ago (at least in my belief) where social media does more bad than good.

But yeah, cancel everything!!!111!!

[​IMG]

Nick84 likes this.
  33. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

If it would help I would. It's wrecking the world one mind at a time.

Nick84 likes this.
  34. Wayne

He does have a strong level of hate for it, wouldn't surprise me :bigup:

35. Grifter

Bluh?

:pfft: