1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cable tv/internet bundles

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by David Puddy, Apr 4, 2022.

1. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

maybe even cell phone bundled in to?
    who has had the best experience with whom? what do you pay and for what?

right now we have 4 streaming services at $10 each or so, but we also were at a hotel on the weekend and really enjoyed having cable tv.

we had basic cable available for a short while by citywide. but it was streaming content that you had to select shows, not real cable tv where you just select a channel.
    I think i miss things already being on, you just choose a channel.

just curious what people have for a bundle with digitial cable and internet and what you're paying. would also consider jumping ship for our cell phone plans as well, but those are pretty sweet at $40 a month for almost unlimited everything

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  2. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I’m not 100% sure if they’re available in Canada or if the content is the same but there are “cable like” streaming services. I subscribe to fuboTV, for example - when you’re logged in, it’s identical to cable. I only signed up as it was the best way I could find to watch Seattle Kraken games and I split the cost with 2 friends. The NHL season is ending - debating keeping it as I’ve been using it more as you describe - damn, HGTV can be addicting, though.

3. Kimvisible

♥ • ♠ ♣

Prices have gone up insane. basically, you have to bounce between bell and Eastlink to get the discounted price.
    My parents Internet, cable,phone with 3 pcrs and a few extra channels was going to be upwards of $350. (middle pack Bell)

basically knocked off everything extra, one pcr, and down to $240. but having said that they cant go to eastlink because its a new building and only offers the most expensive bundle.

city wide has one, but its using a roku, I just got them on smartphones last year, we arent there yet.

4. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

man hgtv is everything lol. theres an hdtv add on with prime or crave or one of those things. but it comes down to the choosing a channel vs choosing a program. and i can only assume someone sometime soon is going to come out with something that streamlines it all so there will be regular programming with channels but also choose what you want. and i think its probably already like that with ..tivo..?

but essentially eastlink seems to be the cheaest at 109 for internet and basic tv. but the basic tv is basic af. like 20 channels..?

5. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

yeah we had the citywide with the roku. it wasn't great. the interface was clumsy and made it a chore to select something to watch. i miss the days of basic cable

6. Grifter

Bluh?

I have internet and cable bundled. I have cable just go get sporting events and on demand. Rarely watch live tv otherwise, maybe the odd 6 o'clock News cast. But I do use on demand all the time. I pay $150/month for the fastest internet they offer and 2 pvrs.

7. Miss Shawty

My cable bill with Eastlink kept going up by $10 every 3 months it seems. I was paying about $172 for internet and cable, I cancelled the cable and now our internet is $65 taxes in!! I thought I'd miss my cable, but we have found other ways around to stream my shows!

8. J0e Th0rnton

Or just get eastlink level internet for a fraction of the cost by using Citywide lol

Purple Cow is cheap too.

Some gamer friends complain about speeds, but i have the slowest internet Citywide has to offer with a wifi and modem and its $60 a month. I can play Online games on my computer while downloading torrents at the same time, while my kids stream on the TV downstairs and my wife streams on the TV upstairs. No lag, no problem. Can I download a movie off pirate bay in 2 minutes? No, it takes 5 or 10, but whatever. $60 a month is nice.

Netflix constantly raising prices is getting annoying. But only because we don't split that one with anyone. My gaming buddy in the UK just gave me his password for Amazon prime, free of charge. And he also shares it with another gaming bud friend in Georgia USA. He was upset that i had not watched "The boys" at the time and wanted me to watch it so we could chat about it and just told me not to click any pay per view stuff and it was cool. That was a year and a half ago, and still Im using amazon prime free lol. We split Disney Plus 4 ways with my wife's Mom and Stepdad, her dad and her sister. So for Disney Plus and Amazon prime, I pay less than $5 a month.

The streaming services never say jack shit about the fact that 4 different houses are watching it, sometimes in different countries lol. Im at the point where I am going to ask someone at work if they want to go halfsies on Netflix, or maybe even 3 or 4 people to split it. That way its just $5.25 a month.

Im sure they will crack down on it eventually. But I've been sure about that for a year and a half and still I get my Amazon prime free.

9. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

yeah the splitting the logins is key.
    we just realized my wife and i both have separate amazon prime's. we have to take a serious look at how much we're paying for our streaming subscriptions and start making some choices. apparently every other country has "family sharing" with amazon except canada.

10. Miss Shawty

My husband and I have different amazon prime accounts because we both have Amazon Shopping. He orders his own stuff and I get mine. We also pay for Netflix HD because the internet connection in our basement is awful even with extenders.

11. 17

teenage dirtbag

My bell is $225 all in with whatever the best internet package is and whatever the least cable package is. I’d cut the cord but my wife does watch a lot of cable stuff so it’s not worth the argument.

12. Gerald

We're paying about $70 for Bell gigabit and about $8 for access to a Plex Share, which gives us access to everything that's on all of the streaming and cable services. Just can't get live sports.

13. Gerald

Wifi extenders are snake oil. They don't work.

You want a mesh system. This is probably overkill for your house, but you'll have near-perfect wifi everywhere: Eero Mesh 3 pack

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  14. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

I daisy chained a router in the basement to the 2nd floor with a 50' ethernet cable. If you can do it, hardwire all the things.

J0e Th0rnton and Grifter like this.
  15. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I've been less than impressed with our eero mesh system. Much slower overall than just connecting to the router whenever I can.

16. Grifter

Bluh?

I ran all the cat6 in my house. Still prefer connected over wifi. Some things are definitely over wifi like Chromecast and a couple of the game consoles. But hardwired ftw.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    RoryTate likes this.
  17. Gerald

Interesting. I had an Orbi system before this and I like the eeros much more. It probably helps that everything is hardwired in for the backhaul, but I consistently get 300+ mbps everywhere in my house and between 150-200mbps outside. It probably also helps that I have 6 of them scattered throughout the house.

18. Miss Shawty

We have the eeros. One is by the internet box and the other one is in the basement. My husband has the app on his phone, it still says we don't have that great of a connection.

19. Miss Shawty

That's our next step. Just trying to figure out how were going to get the cord into "the man cave" haha 65inch TVS are great and all until you have a shitty internet connection.

RoryTate likes this.
  20. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Busting holes in drywall is sometimes what you have to do, but sometimes patching drywall is worth it. There are plenty of vids on the youtubes on how to do it right.

21. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

i priced out bell and eastlink, with eastlink being the cheapest. but our internet is $65 right now with about $40 in streamin services. so i think we're going to add in a couple packages on prime (im going to be honest, what we really want is hgtv lol)

22. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I called it!

23. Miss Shawty

My husband will take care of all that. :D