buying used phone. unlocking?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by David Puddy, Jan 20, 2018.

1. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

My G4 just died and apparently its a common problem but that's another rant/story.
    i'm going to buy a used iphone but i'm not sure i'm quite clear on the new unlocking laws.
    i know they passed the law that cannot allow carriers to charge to unlock phones anymore. How will that apply to someone buying a locked phone? i don't have the convience of going into a kiosk because i'm with public mobile and you can only deal with their website for customer service. i don't see a way of getting a phone unlocked through them, they just say when you buy a used phone to make sure its unlocked. And i'm sure i could pay to have it unlocked through a carrier that's not mine, but i also do not want to do that. is there an easier way to have a phone unlocked that i'm not seeing ?

2. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

You have two choices. You can convince the original owner to get it unlocked before they sell it to you which they can do by calling their carrier. It takes 10 mind and no fee, or you can buy it and pay an unlocking service to do it after the fact. Any phones purchased from the carrier after the law came into effect should already be unlocked.

3. Gerald

Since you're with Public, you should also be able to use any phone locked to Telus or Koodo without any issues and they should be able to unlock it for you as well if you need it.

4. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

hmm...well the one i was looking at earlier this morning was locked to Bell.

5. hank

From what I understand if the person you are buying it from is the original owner, they can call the provider and have it unlocked for free. If they bought it from someone else you would probably have to pay someone to unlock

6. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

It should be the original person but sometimes you just need to have an account with the carrier it's locked to. If if the original person was with bell and you are to, you might be successful in getting it unlocked.

7. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

douchebag i bought it from didn't unlock it and claimed he did. he's standing by his word that he just paid $50 to have it unlocked (but won't answer my question about who unlocked it)
    anyways. CellKon in mic mac will unlock it for $50 but is there any where online that will do it (reputable of course)
    in a brief couple of tries, i'm not sure i trust the few sites i was on who claims they unlock for a fee

8. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

so after some debate, my used kijiji phone works haha but read this conversation

ME: i just checked the origins of my sim card, its compatible with iphone. but the message i'm getting suggest the phone is locked. So its not the sim card. i just want to make sure you're with FIDO, because that's who i will have to get to unlock the phone
    23h
    HIM yes its fido 100 percent
    23h
    HIM anyways enjoy take care
    23h
    ME ok thanks.
    23h
    ME i'll let you know if i have any problems getting it unlocked
    23h
    ME so the phone is locked. and you have the ability to get it unlocked for free if you call your provider. Is there anyway you could do this? if not its going to cost me $50 to do. And whereas you had this advertised as unlocked, i'm hopeing you will comply. thanks
    4h
    HIM it cost me 50 dollars as well brad I sold the phone for a low price and your provider is a weird one that's why its needs to be unlocked if u like I cancome pick the phone up and we have a offer for 350 dollars we can sell it for and return your money
    3h
    ME Fido charged you $50 to unlock it? It should be free for you?
    3h
    ME Unlocked is unlocked though. its either locked to a provider or it isn't. I called Fido today and they said with the message coming up on the screen, that indicates the phone is in fact locked. Who unlocked it for you? I'm not trying to create an issue here, i'm just trying to arrive at a solution.
    3h
    ME Listen, could you please just contact Fido and have it unlocked, its at absolutley no cost to you, its the law now. Its possible the unlock didn't get performed correctly? Maybe you weren't aware that its free for you to unlock a phone now? for you its free if you're with a carrier and the phone is locked to your carrier.
    2h
    ME What's the cell number attached (was) attached to the phone? Because Public Mobile is an affiliate of Telus, i think i might be able to get Telus to unlock it, they are just requesting the phone number that was last used with it
    2h
    HIM We were just wanting to sell the phone with no complications. It’s easier if u just get it unlocked yourself my friend we were told it was unlocked and that’s all the info we knew.
    56m
    ME so you weren't the original owner of the phone? you said it was yours and that your new one was in the mail. and you said you paid $50 to have it unlocked. This is very shady man.
    35m
    ME is this phone stolen? if it comes up blacklisted that will be very dissapointing
    35m
    HIM Listen here. Buddy I bought the phone brand new ok I’m unlocking as we speak I was not aware racist I haven’t sold a phone in my life never so don’t call me shady ok Reset your phone turn it off then back on.
    27m
    HIM Future reference don’t ever accuse anyone U got a great deal

seconds after receiving this, the phone worked

9. hank

Amazing how some people won't take the easy road and help someone out when its of no cost to them. That should have been resolved as soon as you asked him to call the provider

10. Dewie

I wasn't aware calling someone shady was racist?

11. Nick84

Where have you been the last 2 years? :lol: Even just assuming someone is a boy/girl can now be construed as a hate crime. :hmpf:

12. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I had the same thought. I had to go re-read the exchange to figure out which part he assumed was racism. Weird exchange in general. I hate kijiji.

LMAC and Dewie like this.
  13. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

#blacklisted #racist

14. 17

teenage dirtbag

im procrastinating putting my iphone 7 on kijiji just for this reason :lol:

Nick84 likes this.
  15. Mitch

Christ I hate/love Kijiji

Dewie likes this.
  16. Duggan

That is why I like the facebook buy and sell more so than Kijiji, you can see who you are dealing with and I have had much smoother transactions. Plus you can blast them publicly if need be.

Mitch likes this.
  17. Slothy

Lurker Extraordinaire

I unlocked a bell Iphone 6 last week. Called bell, told them what I wanted to do, they asked for the IMEI number and said that a person from the unlocking dept would call me back in 15min. They called back in 10min and told me to back it up in itunes then restore it, as soon as it finished restoring, itunes had a message stating that the phone was unlocked. Took me less then 30min all said and done and was totally free.