1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying cars out of province?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by AcidGord, Jan 19, 2004.

1. AcidGord

AcidGord
    [OP]

I've never bought a car out of province or even looked at it before. What's the process in this case? Buy it there and register it here? Or do I have to get a temp permit there and then formally do it here later?

2. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

pretty sure you get a temp over there, then pay taxes and register it here in NS.

Best bet is to call the DMV tommoorw. So whatcha getting?

3. AcidGord

AcidGord
    [OP]

Not sure of anything yet. Still getting details. A guy I know in Toronto is selling a 99 GSR for a price I can't ignore. :)

4. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

sweet! get that!

5. Shafft

RC-OG

buy there register here..

did it in the spring.. tell him he doens't have to get it e-tested if it needs anything.

6. AcidGord

AcidGord
    [OP]

Cool. I'm waffling back and forth. I want a Miata but I just don't think its feasible right now without a garage to store it and then I still have to worry about a winter beater.

Hrm...

Integra Pros: My Heliums, delSol Seats, Teins all transfer over. Its basically just a Civic so I already know my way around it. Its priced such that I could probably sell it for a profit in a year if I still want a Miata in the fall. AND ITS NOT WHITE!

Cons: Its a Honda, it'll rust no matter what I do. Won't hold its value like a Miata will. GSR's are pretty high theft. (Hello debadging) Other than that not much. Its only got 80k on it so its practically brand new.

Miata Pros: They don't rust very easily. Convertibles can be nice. My Heliums will transfer over and I can sell the rest to offset the costs. RWD FUN! I can probably find a ~94/95 in Ontario for several thousand less than the GSR.

Miata Cons: Its a convertible (THere's more cons than pros to this to me), I can't Solo 1 with it without adding an expensive/ugly roll cage. I'd need to keep the Civic or get a winter beater and then I have to find place to store it.

Thats basically my line of thinking. Right now I'm leaning towards the GSR. In five minutes who knows. :) Ugh... car payments again. :)

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Your forgot the #1 Miata Con: people assume your :gay:

:lol:

8. Eisenflower

I'd take a GSR any day over a Miata, just for the practicality stanpoint of it.

9. AcidGord

AcidGord
    [OP]

The Miata is a HELL of a lot more fun to drive. Trust me on that one. And truth be told I don't NEED a practical car since we've also got an Impreza Wagon. Its not like I ever haul anything/anyone with the Civic either. :) But there's always the odd time its nice to be able to.

10. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

winter beaters suck. that should be reason enough!

11. pmachan

No double insurance if you get the GSR as well.
    I agree Miata's are fun to drive, but man I find them underpowered for some reason?
    Your pro and con list is right on...

12. AcidGord

AcidGord
    [OP]

The 94-97's are pretty good power wise. 133hp and about the same weight as the EG6 Si. I'm not a speed demon on the streets and any Solo 1 I do will pretty much be purely for my own entertainment so I don't really need a lot of power.

I checked the insurance, it would go from my curent of $875/year for the Civic to $1413 for the GSR with the same coverage. Ow. Not an end of the world rate, but it adds to the costs involved. Didn't think to ask if a Miata would be any better.