Buying cars out of province?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by AcidGord, Jan 19, 2004.

1. AcidGord

AcidGord
    [OP]

I've never bought a car out of province or even looked at it before. What's the process in this case? Buy it there and register it here? Or do I have to get a temp permit there and then formally do it here later?

2. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

pretty sure you get a temp over there, then pay taxes and register it here in NS.

Best bet is to call the DMV tommoorw. So whatcha getting?

3. AcidGord

AcidGord
    [OP]

Not sure of anything yet. Still getting details. A guy I know in Toronto is selling a 99 GSR for a price I can't ignore. :)

4. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

sweet! get that!

5. Shafft

RC-OG

buy there register here..

did it in the spring.. tell him he doens't have to get it e-tested if it needs anything.

6. AcidGord

AcidGord
    [OP]

Cool. I'm waffling back and forth. I want a Miata but I just don't think its feasible right now without a garage to store it and then I still have to worry about a winter beater.

Hrm...

Integra Pros: My Heliums, delSol Seats, Teins all transfer over. Its basically just a Civic so I already know my way around it. Its priced such that I could probably sell it for a profit in a year if I still want a Miata in the fall. AND ITS NOT WHITE!

Cons: Its a Honda, it'll rust no matter what I do. Won't hold its value like a Miata will. GSR's are pretty high theft. (Hello debadging) Other than that not much. Its only got 80k on it so its practically brand new.

Miata Pros: They don't rust very easily. Convertibles can be nice. My Heliums will transfer over and I can sell the rest to offset the costs. RWD FUN! I can probably find a ~94/95 in Ontario for several thousand less than the GSR.

Miata Cons: Its a convertible (THere's more cons than pros to this to me), I can't Solo 1 with it without adding an expensive/ugly roll cage. I'd need to keep the Civic or get a winter beater and then I have to find place to store it.

Thats basically my line of thinking. Right now I'm leaning towards the GSR. In five minutes who knows. :) Ugh... car payments again. :)

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Your forgot the #1 Miata Con: people assume your :gay:

:lol:

8. Eisenflower

I'd take a GSR any day over a Miata, just for the practicality stanpoint of it.

9. AcidGord

AcidGord
    [OP]

The Miata is a HELL of a lot more fun to drive. Trust me on that one. And truth be told I don't NEED a practical car since we've also got an Impreza Wagon. Its not like I ever haul anything/anyone with the Civic either. :) But there's always the odd time its nice to be able to.

10. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

winter beaters suck. that should be reason enough!

11. pmachan

No double insurance if you get the GSR as well.
    I agree Miata's are fun to drive, but man I find them underpowered for some reason?
    Your pro and con list is right on...

12. AcidGord

AcidGord
    [OP]

The 94-97's are pretty good power wise. 133hp and about the same weight as the EG6 Si. I'm not a speed demon on the streets and any Solo 1 I do will pretty much be purely for my own entertainment so I don't really need a lot of power.

I checked the insurance, it would go from my curent of $875/year for the Civic to $1413 for the GSR with the same coverage. Ow. Not an end of the world rate, but it adds to the costs involved. Didn't think to ask if a Miata would be any better.