1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a Lens Input please

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by photoshadow, Apr 21, 2008.

1. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

Ok so what is a good portrait lens, i've been doing some studies on used lens about the price they go for. Mind you, is Sigma all that good? to the extent of donig say..... a Wedding?
    I know its easy to say ya go for the Canon L but sadly money is a main thing, and with myself just upgrading bodies i don't have loads of money for the Portrait lens. So whats your thoughts.
    Theres a few i want,
    A Portrait, Fisheye, Wide Angle. In that order. I know it will take a while but to start things off let deal with the portrait. If you have any info on the other 2 lens to get let me know please, i would like to have a f/2.8 i don't really want anything slower...

Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 350$ portraits
    Sigma 15mm F/2.8 Fisheye 400$
    Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L – 1000$
    Canon 17-85mm F/4-5.6 – 400$
    Sigma 17-35mm F/2.8-4 – 220$
    Canon 430ex – 250$

2. gha Photographic

I shoot people

what body do you have? since it should affect your decision.

I own the flash and the 24-70 canon 2.8. My fav of my lenses. Can't say much about those other ones.
    THe flash isn't bad but I like the 580ex better (of course).

are you getting paid for these weddings? something to consider for covering your costs.

3. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

I have the 40D. I have a 70-200mm F/2.8L and love my L series lens, mind you thats for my sports works.
    As for flashes, i don't think i need the 580, i need more light, but not that extent, or atleast not that i believe. Also its cheaper...
    Yes i would be and yes that would balance off some expense mind you i would buy the L series lens probably after the wedding simply becuase i would have the funds to do so then.

4. grahamr

GrahamR :D

the 580 adds other features other then more light - the big one being a wireless commander style mode - the other one doesn't do that.

you have the 70-200L, so you are already pretty well covered from that end on the wedding front.
    I would bite the bullet and get the 24-70L - If you are getting paid for the wedding, you will likley get a deposit that can go towards the lens, and then the remainder of your payment cover the rest - it doesn't make alot of sense to spend money twice (i wish i knew that when i tried to cheap out on tripods) if you plan on spending right after you get the $$ from the wedding, now if you said "ill pick something up, and buy the L for the next wedding season" i would suggest the 2.8 sigma, but you need to play with them to make sure you get a good one.

5. Arod

is the 70-200 2.8 the IS or non IS version? IS is worth its weight in gold in a dark church.

6. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

non IS... Simply because i do sports with it and IS didn't make much sense, and no i don't find the 70-200mm makes a good lens for people shots, i need smaller mm, i use my 18-55mm that came with the camera too much and dear god i feel bad for using it each time.

7. Jay McNeil

SAME. except it's the 18-70.. man I need a 50 mm at leaaast haha..

How'd you get your name out and such to shoot weddings? I'm interested in looking into that for this summer

8. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

I do Staff pictures at STFX University and Athletics shots. And a Lady wanted to know if i would be interested...
    Ya sorry your right on the lens.
    I don't know if i would for sure buy it right after the event, so i think i may go with the sigma.

I heard alot of people talk about tamron lens 24-70 is that better the sigma or are they equal to quality?

9. FullFrame

i love using my 70-200 for people, so crisp and so clean clean.

10. DamianP

I

Usually when I look at sigma lenses, I'd only buy their specialty lenses only. I have the Sigma 150mm f2.8 and the bokeh + sharpness is just plain awesome. The sigma coating can be a problem to some people and I read a lot of stuff about the coating peeling after some time. An equivalent lens from Tamron is usually a tad better than Sigma. You also don't have paint issue on Tamron but some of the Tamrons are now manufactured in China and the quality differs from the Japan made ones...which you should hunt for.

For wedding you may wanna get the 18-50mm f2.8...they now have HSM. I think the HSM itself is worth getting over the Tamron variant (although I use the tamron screw drive one myself). 50mm is also good for portrait.

11. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

i found the sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 for about 550 or so...
    Um i don't know if its worth getting the 24-70 and then just getting a wide angle lens too...

This iswhy i don't like the 70-200mm for people shooting, you cna't do shots like theses with it unless your a mile away... and then the quality is reduced in my eyes. I want to be closer to my subjets
    [​IMG]

12. danny

bike manic

go for the L dude.... i just got teh 70-200 2.8L and im envy-ing that one right now since i got my hands on L glass lol

13. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

seeing as that was taken with an 85 mm........he could have been looser and not chopped feet and heads with the 70-200.
    :)

14. Arod

And Generally if you are outside and expecting these types of moments (which you should while at weddings) you will have a more versatile wide zoom on in the first place.

I love my 17-55 2.8 IS and it makes an awesome compliment to my 70-200 (soon to be 2.8 IS)

15. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

not seeing the point to spending 1000$ on that lens... if so i would go for the 24-70 L.... I'll go for the sigma, and then upgrade once i can offered the L

You guys recommend any other Fisheye or Wide Angle?

16. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

also i noticed you have the sigma listed there for a mid range zoom. i'd reccomend the tamron 28-75 2.8 over that. it's actually pretty much the only third party lens i have anything good to say about.

17. Arod

It is a fantastic lens, if you plan on going fullframe soon it might not be a good investment but otherwise it is simply awesome

18. Arod

I agree with the 28-75 tammy over the siggy

Although for what you are shooting I would pick the 17-50 over that. You will have a gap of 20mm between that and your 70-200 but that isn't anything taking a few steps forward or a few back won't fix.

19. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

now THAT's what we call manual zoom

20. DamianP

I

If you want a complete set on a budget, I'd recommend:

12-24 Tokina/10-20 Sigma ($500/$500)
    28-75 Tamron/24-70 Sigma ($350/$430)
    70-200mm f4L/70-200mm f2.8 Sigma ($560/$800)

About $1600-$2000 after taxes for the full range.

I don't know why'd you want a fisheye, it's one of those lenses that you'd use once in awhile, and when overused, it just gets boring. Better get an ultra wide zoom and photoshop the distortion if u want :kekeke:

21. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

I don't need a 70-200mm i have the 70-200mm F/2.8L
    I've never heard of Tokina, is it worth it?

Also i would probably get the Tamron then if that being said on it, mind you i'm going to have to read some reviews.
    Besides that, i would love the Fisheye becuase there are a few effect i've seen used for it in Paintball photography that i really wanna do. Also some other small other one, but for the most part its for paintball. So any suggestions? (this lens would be bought well after i had a good Wide angle)

Besides that theres the 430 that i would need to get... Dam alot of gear to get before the ending of the summer

22. DamianP

I

The Tokina 12-24 is a renowned lens:
    http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Can...f4-at-x-pro-dx-canon-lens-test-report--review

There are a lot of reviews out there that you can read about. Don't know much about fisheye myself as I don't use it. Tokina has a fisheye that can zoom (10-17mm) Also, Tokina lenses are pretty much pentax lenses. The 12-24 is the equivalent model of Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 AL ED. Best 3rd party build quality out there.

23. Dorman

Konichiwa Bitches...

The Tamron is a damn fine lens, I've owned both the 17-50 F/2.8 and 28-75 F/2.8. I have neither now, but sometimes wish I still did - they are real optical gems, lightweight and small in size.