1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning a VCD to DVD-r media

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by TG, Jan 20, 2005.

1. TG

TG
    [OP]

Does anyone know which program to use for this, I tried Nero and alcohol 120%. They will both burn DVD's just fine, but I can't figure out how to get the VCD lead in files to load the VCD properly when inserted into a DVD player. With regular CD-R's it simple.....I thought the same thing would apply here...I guess I'm wrong.

Anyone have any suggestions, all would be welcome!!

Thanks a ton

2. ZorK

I post, therefore I exist

well u could convert those vcd files to dvd compliant and burn them as a dvd movie, I do that with vegas sonic foundry, it's a really fast n easy software to make dvds, u just drag those vcd files to a new proyect n hit BURN DVD. I never tried to do what u want to do, which is making a huge vcd right? may be is just not posible, at least with current dvd players

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  3. Shafft

RC-OG

winAVI converter

4. TG

TG
    [OP]

Thanks man...I will try that.

I also saw WinAVI converter, couldn't find a "trial copy" that I can use. ;)
    It looks good though...I will continue to look for that also....

Thanks a lot guys!!

5. GiPWeb

Me is I

why bother most vcd's will play in dvd players and there just isnt the quality in a vcd for the conversion. It will actually look worse then the original vcd. I try to tell my g/f this everytime she brings this up.

G.i.P

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  6. ZorK

I know Gipweb, I hate VCDs, I think it's the most ridiculous video format, I mean 1 hour per disc? a 90 minutes movie in 2 vcds? with vhs quality?? come on! But the man here asked for some help,

7. TG

TG
    [OP]

The only reason I asked for some help is because I have like 100 divx movies that I downloaded before I started downloading and ripping my own dvd's. So my question was, since my dvd player doesn't support the playback of divx file types, I was wondering if there was a way to put a divx file, that has been converted to a file type that my dvd player will play, on a dvd-r disc. Since it will play vcd's and the conversion is simple minus some accepted quality loss, I was going to burn them to dvd-r discs.
    A straight vcd file with no lead in files will not play. If you choose a straight ISO compilation in Nero, it will burn the file as data and therefore not work in a dvd player. Same with Alcohol %120, and easy cd creator 6.
    If you choose dvd video (in Nero), it wants the vob files that are riped from an actual dvd.
    I don't like vcd's either, i would much rather a dvd any day. But since I get these dvd-r media so cheap, and I have so many movies that I haven't watched in years. I thought I would make something of all these movies I have, and effectively be able to watch them on my tv. (I don't have a long enough cable to run from my computer upstairs to my tv downstairs via tv out).
    If you encode the file properly, it won't look that bad. Now, if you have a shitty source file, then it will be awful when the conversion is complete. If the source file rivals a good dvd rip, like a lot of well done divx files will do, the end result isn't much less then a new vhs tape. To me that is acceptable.

8. ZorK

but poolshark, why don't u try to get a DVD player that plays divx? I heard they are already available, in fact I'm looking forward to buy one cuz I'm in the same situation, I have almost 2 hundred movies all of them divx/xvid, I transcoded most of them. Anyway, as I told u, with Vegas Sonic Foundry u can convert video to dvd compliant, u can either burn them as dvd with vegas or u can tell it to just give u the .vob n .ifo files n then burn them with nero as a DVD movie. I don't remember but I think with the right codecs Vegas also converts divx/xvid files to DVD .vob files as well.

About VCD's, what I don't understand is why people watch vcd movies with such bad quality like those that were recorded from a movie theather n they look n sound like shit.

9. TG

TG
    [OP]

True that mang....

Thanks for the scoop on vegas...i'll be checking that out for sure.

thanks again

10. ZorK

more: there are dvd players that would play any mpeg1 o mpeg2 files they find in whatever media u insert, just like u put a mp3 disc n it finds the files, reads the names n stuff, they do it with mpeg files, n with these dvd players u r done, I think u have to consider buying a real dvd player :P ;)

11. TG

TG
    [OP]

Nahhh, mine plays mp3's. that pretty much all I care about. I'm also not looking to spend any mony for this. It's not that important.....just something to keep me busy.
    Unless I see one for like $25 then I'll pick one up....;)

12. ZorK

hahaha could u be any cheaper!!? lol
    the one I told u that reads divx n stuff is about 75\$