1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a stadium in Halifax

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by TyTryon, Mar 15, 2007.

1. essenmeinstuff

Bubba is home

Yeah its a case of chicken or the egg, personaly I think there are a lot more pressing infrastructure issues that would need resolving before building the "icing on the cake" like a big stadium. The asthetics of a city do a lot for first impressions, highways that look like they last saw maintanance before the fall of the uninion aren't a good look....

Things like:

- road maintenance
    - allowing people to build bigger buildings in town
    - metro transit sucks balls
    - seeing you own poo's floating in the harbour (this is being dealt with finally).

etc etc etc

2. frankster

coffee, the dark blood

I'd be all for it if my tax dollars weren't being spent to build it. I'd only ever go there maybe on every 5 years some what like I go to the metro center. I'd much rather have my tax dollars used for something worth while like the shit ass roads we have.

I say build it then charge everyone who goes there a shit load of money to pay for it. Those of us who have no use for it shouldnt be paying for it.

3. Ryan_NS

Building a covered stadium would be an unecessary expense as well as obstructing any views of downtown, harbor, bridges ect (if it was built in Shannon Park) The majority of stadiums in Canada, (McMahon, Commonwealth, Ivor Wynn, McGill, etc) are all uncovered and suit the needs of those cities just fine. The only major issue stopping us from getting a stadium and ultimatley a CFL team is the lack of stadium. Where is the money going to come from. Ideally the fed's should pony up the bulk of the cash as they have neglected this area of Canada in regards to sport facilities for way too long, but also private investors such as Sobeys, Aliant etc, might have to chip, and get naming rights. The other thing as HairyAss mentioned before was the issue of what to do with the stadium the other 350 days of the year the football team is not using it. Stadiums eat up alot of cash to maintain and if they sit there empty, investors will be scared off as there is little chance of revenue being generated. Although I am completley against the corporate naming of stadiums I don't see any way that this stadium could come to fruition without it. The Sobeys Dome, Aliant Stadium, *shudders*

4. TyTryon

TyTryon
    [OP]

As far as I know, a covered stadium is not being considered.

5. Ryan_NS

I didn't think anything was actually being considered anymore. I have yet to see any proposals or renderings. Anyone have any info on anything?

6. TyTryon

TyTryon
    [OP]

Mayor Kelly requested that the federal government leave some of the Commonwealth Games money on the table for a new stadium.. I'm not sure if the request has become formal though.

7. Ryan_NS

Cool, hopefully they follow through with that. Could gain Harper some support around here, or lose him some too haha.

8. slouse

Uteck Field ;)

9. PeterM

FusionHfx

He can request all he likes, it's not going to happen. Our municipal and provincial 'leaders' lack the ability to negotiate with anyone who holds any kind of power. If Danny Williams wanted a stadium, he'd be camped out on Harper's front lawn burning Canadian flags until they gave in. Instead, we have the dynamic duo of Kelly and MacDonald.

Anyway, politically, there are as many seats in downtown Toronto as there are in all of Atlantic Canada. Nothing to gain = no incentive to spend here.

10. TyTryon

TyTryon
    [OP]

Danny Williams is awesome, his approval rating in NFLD is close to 90%. I wish he was our premier. :mad:

11. JB_

JB_

I heard when they were discussing it back when they started talking about the CFL coming to Halifax. One of there Plans to reduce Traffic upon the Mackay Bridge was to provide Ferry Service to the Stadium if it was built in Shannon Park. The Ferry's would only run when there was an event taking place...

12. TyTryon

TyTryon
    [OP]

I don't think the traffic on the bridge would be that bad. To be honest, it has relatively good escape routes compared to other possible sites.

13. essenmeinstuff

Bubba is home

It really has at least three ways to get to the "other side"... if they made the route to the old bridge better that would take the load off the Mackay as well as the bedford highway...

Recon Shannon park is pretty central to where a lot of people would be comming from interms of transit routes...

14. TyTryon

TyTryon
    [OP]

I agree completely.

15. WoRM

n00b

HRM could benefit from a stadium, definately need one

16. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

[​IMG]

MacGillivray has another idea

New Metro Centre is the downtown pitchman's latest plan

It certainly didn't take long for Trade Centre Ltd. boss Fred MacGillivray's Commonwealth Games tears to dry.

Never one to rest on his laurels, and just days after his dreams to bring the 2014 Games to Halifax were dashed when the city and the province bowed out of the bidding process, MacGillivray's already out hustling his latest vision: a brand-new downtown Metro Centre with a price tag that may be more palatable to a dollar-conscious citizenry.

This time, with a city and its leaders anxious for something to get everyone's minds off the Games debacle, it might just happen.

Always the pitchman, MacGillivray chose not to sulk over losing the Games. He revealed plans to revisit a pet project of his - replacing the 30-year-old Metro Centre with a new, state-of-the-art facility.

It's not that we need a new hockey rink. The current Metro Centre, with its skyboxes, fancy clock and millions of dollars spent on upgrades, is still ranked one of the best major junior arenas in the country.

No, it's not the Mooseheads on Fred's mind. Lost convention business is driving this new MacGillivray push.

Simple plan

The plan's a simple one. Build a new downtown stadium and expand the convention centre into the old rink.

"We do a lot of business in the conventions and meetings business," MacGillivray told reporters after a 2008 World Hockey Championship news conference this week.

"People want to come to Halifax," he said. "We turn away, not as much, but close to as much business as we bring here, because we have limited facilities. So that's going to drive the agenda."

One industry source tells me we've turned down dozens of huge conventions over the years because the Trade Centre wasn't able to handle their size - a loss of tens of millions of dollars to the local economy.

MacGillivray's suggesting a 14,000 to 15,000-seat stadium, with a $150 million price tag, built within the next three to five years. Ever the penny-wise, some critics are already suggesting he's deliberately lowballing the estimate.

They point to this week's new-arena announcement in Pittsburgh. The new home of the Penguins will cost US$290 million. There are also questions whether public dollars should go into such an effort.

Across the provincial border, Halifax's arch-rival Moncton is talking about a new convention facility. MacGillivray shrewdly used that development and the angst of the Commonwealth Games decision to lay his plan on a council looking to rebound.

It's working.

Reaction so far has been generally positive, and several councillors have been quick to endorse Metro Centre 2 in a downtown Halifax location.

"It may make sense," Dartmouth councillor Andrew Younger told me. "We are turning away a lot of business because of a lack of convention facilities."

Younger says a consultant's study has already been done on the proposal, and is sitting on the desk of Dan English, HRM's chief administrative officer. The councillor says it got pushed aside during the 2014 Games push. Now it's time to see it.

Downtown Halifax Coun. Dawn Sloane backs MC2 as well, and says the site of the current Cogswell Street interchange is the best place to put it. There's been talk for years about tearing down that concrete monstrosity.

Sloane says this could be the impetus needed to get the job done, and develop the 13 acres of prime, city-owned real estate.

Think big

Preston-area Coun. David Hendsbee says everyone's thinking too small. He suggests an NHL-size arena, seating 18,000 to 20,000, with the hope of one day landing a pro team.

Whatever the plan, let's get it right this time. That means full and open public debate and participation.

And let's give Fred MacGillivray some credit. Even as he and the 2014 bid committee face close scrutiny in the coming weeks, he's recognized this city is anxious to, as Mayor Peter Kelly put it, "move forward."

MacGillivray is doing what he's paid to do, attempting to make dreams happen. We don't always appreciate people of his ilk, and Fred's certainly given us cause at times to question his way of doing things. But they are the movers and shakers who'll take us into the future.

Now and again, we give them too much leash, as in the 2014 Games mess. But without them, this truly would be a dreary place to live.

http://www.hfxnews.com/index.cfm?sid=17199&sc=93

17. tribeachpunk

I think Halifax needs a fresh face leading the charge toward a new facility, not ol Freddy Failure again. I don't think I'd support anything with that man's name on it since the games were bungled so badly.

18. User1628

I think Fred McGillvary is a great leader. Look at the stuff he brought our way

-World Juniors
    -Figure Skatin Championships
    -World Womens Hockey Championships
    -World Mens Hockey Championships - 2008 or 2010.. cant remmeber

there is more. the man has done alot for Halifax... alot more than any single politician :shrug:

plus he's a childhood friend of my grandpa :cool:

19. User1628

Halifax is developing an international reputation as a great events city, due in large part to the many high-profile events we have hosted in recent years, including the 2003 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship, the 2003 Nokia Brier, the 2003 World Theatre Festival and the 2003 World Trade Centers Association General Assembly, the 2004 IIHF World Women's Hockey Championship and the 2004 FIBA Under 21 Tournament of the Americas and most recently, the 2005 Roar of the Rings Canadian Curling Trials and the 2006 JUNO Awards.

20. User1628

^^^^

all spearheaded by old Freddy. it's not him to blame over the Games falling through. Its politicians provincial and municipal.

21. TyTryon

TyTryon
    [OP]

I'd rather a new outdoor stadium than a new Metro Centre..

22. tribeachpunk

Yeah, I guess I was wrong to place all the blame on McGillvary, although I don't really see him as an innocent among the guilty when lumped with the politicians concerned the 2014 games. McGillvary's secrecy policy regarding the games contributed to it's downfall, just for starters. And the six figure paycheques the Games committee was getting.. It's easy to blame everyone associated with the bid from McGillvary to Kelly, to MacDonald, to MacKay and ultimately the PM. Everyone involved had a hand in the failure..

23. tribeachpunk

:werd:

We might be able to sustain a CFL team which would use our outdoor stadium.
    We cannot sustain an NHL team, which would inevitably put a strain on a new arena built to replace the completely adequate existing arena.

24. Stark

Nekkid

I can't imagine why anyone would build a stadium or arena away from a downtown core or existing main roads. As annoying as Toronto is, they at least put the ACC and Skydome right smack in the downtown near major roads.

You want a stadium where afterwards people spend dollars on nearby hotels, bars a nd restaurants. That adds to the local economy, building another Meadowlands swamp arena is damn stupid. But hey, when are politicos using their brains?

25. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I don't really know a lot about McGillvary, but I can completely understand the secrecy around the bid. It wasn't kept secret to keep Haligonians in the dark; it was to keep Glasgow and Nigeria in the dark.

26. User1628

exactly. freddy boy wouldn't do anything purposely malevolent to jeopardize the bid. He's a smart guy.

27. tribeachpunk

Oh, no, I totally understand why the secrecy was necessary. But, realistically, one should know that Haligonians and especially the rest of the province, wouldn't be willing to sign a blank cheque. It's obvious that Nova Scotians required hard, factual, transparent numbers. The secrecy served to increase all Nova Scotian's interest in the numbers, even those like myself who'd love to have the games here. When the secret numbers were revealed to be $11ty billion dollars, it was almost like the jig was up.

28. Matt30

:werd: Pretty big compared to most minor hockey rinks in NS.

29. TyTryon

TyTryon
    [OP]

here are a few sketches of what the Commonwealth games stadium was going to look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like a pretty neat design. Hopefully we will get one in the near future.

30. PeterM

FusionHfx

I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, and that tower? I'm sure it blocks the view of the harbour from somewhere, so that'll never happen ...

31. Scott

rawr

isnt that tower alrady there?

32. slouse

:wtf:

33. Lex Lucas

feels good.

:werd:

34. TyTryon

TyTryon
    [OP]

It doesn't really look like an electrical tower. :shrug2:

35. TyTryon

TyTryon
    [OP]

However there is currently an electrical tower in the same location. :scratch: