brewmasters...who makes?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by jspurr, Feb 19, 2009.

1. sammy

my dad has 8 kits on the go at the moment i believe...
    it's his hobby... i don't complain, he makes certain kinds for me..

He randomly works at Martime Brew in Halifax..ha ha.

2. Ty

Ty
    Freddy Beach Bad Boy

Used to make a lot of beer back in the college days, I still have all my gear and even a couple kits. I should throw one on here sometime soon.

3. Bean

Breasts

**ahem**

I will be messaging you the address for the delivery of said watermelon wine shortly. Thank you. That is all.

4. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I was in Noble Grape yesterday to pick up some corks and decided to try something I hadn't made before that I would probably usually not pick up:

California Trinity Red - An ideal blending of three of California 's most popular grape varieties - Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot, coming together to make a perfectly balanced, well- structured dry red wine. Serve with a roast dinner or barbecued steak

5. Jenn

Left Shark

Gonna try this red next: Chilean Carmenere

6. Sasquatch

Closer to the inevitable.

I put on the Castellina Supertuscan di Siena (Winexpert Crushendo kit) last night. I have heard so many good things about this kit... it's won numerous amateur winemaking awards so I have high expectations.

Starting SG at 1.094, replaced the "chateau plywood" sawdust with StaVin Hungarian oak beans (70 grams, medium toast). I will probably try a little biolees product with this one, and might try to age it on a little more oak. If that doesn't give it the tannins I want, I'll try a very small amount of GrandCru tannin product.

2 years can't come soon enough!!

http://winexpert.com/estate/ (top one on the list).

7. Jenn

Left Shark

On the weekend, the Rioja kit FINALLY went on. I also put on a Liebfraumilch kit.

I'm going to be buying a Chilean Carmenere kit and putting it on within 2 weeks.

90 bottles of wine FTW!

8. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I bottled some Liebfraumilch the other night - tasted awesome right out of the carbuoy - always very happy with this wine!

9. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Although I know I should understand most of what you just posted, especially considering the amount of wine I make, most is greek to me.

What I'm really saying is that I think we need to have a "Sasquatch Wine Night" to see what we're doing wrong!

10. Sasquatch

A lot of the tweaks are new to me too... I still need to get my hands on some of the product I'm talking about (they don't carry it at the Noble Grape).

11. Sasquatch

We have liftoff on fermentation! I think when it comes time to transfer to secondary, I will place the carboy in a fermentation bucket filled with water, and then use my brew belt around the bucket to keep that sucker warm enough to push all the way through to the end. I don't want a high end SG on this one...

12. Jenn

Left Shark

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

I put a third kit on this weekend. Chilean Carmenere is now bubbling away.

13. Sasquatch

The Supertuscan is now in the secondary. The carboy is in the "bath" with the brew belt around the bucket. It's keeping it at a nice 75 degrees... hopefully that's what it needs to push it all the way through fermentation.

14. Jenn

Left Shark

I have my carboys near a heater in my family room. They're at a constant 20-23 degrees or something.

15. sammy

Blackberry Merlot is my favourite, but i'm all out... :(

16. jspurr

jspurr
    [OP]

new batch off for bottles tonight... the filter system sounds like a 2 stroke engine (not honda) ...

[​IMG]

17. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I was about to get ready to put a new kit on and thought I'd snap a pic before getting started..

[​IMG]

18. jspurr

jspurr
    [OP]

nice! lets see some other wine stations.. closet, beside the bed.. whos got em?

19. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

The first batch of wine I ever made was on top of a dresser in my bedroom in a house I was renting with 3 other guys.. :lol:

20. Ryan_NS

Just finished bottling/bagging an Argentina Ridge Merlot that i bought from Costco. So far not bad, kind of watered down though I didn't top it off like it suggested. Anyone with any experience with the Costco kits?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  21. jspurr

jspurr
    [OP]

havnt tried cosco kits but my Cabernet Sauvignon (from noble grape) that i just bottled tonight is amazing and in a month should be exclenet

22. Jenn

Left Shark

I started buying the kits with the 15 litre juice bags, and it's a huge difference, I find so far. Hoping they'll turn out great.

23. Sasquatch

I'll snap a picture next time I'm at the facility. Yeah, that's right, I called my dad's laundry room the facility (I have space issues at my place).

I haven't had any experience with the Costco kits, but I think they are 10 litres or so, which is comparable to other brands I've tried. They have all been a bit weak and flabby and I've pretty much stuck with the 15 litre and grape skin kits since then.

Here's a question - would anyone else be interested in an actual grape order this October? I've been looking forever for other people to do this with. We could find a large fermenting vessel, crush and destem the grapes in a day, start the fermentation in one location, and then divvy up the post-crush wine into 23 litre carboys? We could work it out to produce 23 litres per person involved.

24. Sasquatch

.... hands down, the best way to degas your wine.

25. Sasquatch

Andrew - is that a mosti mondiale sterile must bucket I see on that shelf? how did that one turn out?

26. Jenn

Left Shark

Here's my current setup and a few of my bar:

What's that behind there?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh that's what's behind the bar!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Miss Shawty

Jenn, I LOVE the colour of your walls!!!!!

28. Mitch

been brewing wine for awhile now, mostly a carb sauv red fan, but i make it all. Currently have 4 carboys on the go, got about 85 bottles sitting and ready to drink.

29. Jenn

Left Shark

I love this room in general. That color is a Benjamin Moore color called "Prairie Lily". And the white ledge with crown molding goes around the whole room.

To give you an idea, here is what I started with to make this room (actually, this is after we framed the walls ourselves so we started with less than this)

[​IMG]

30. Sasquatch

looks awesome Jenn!

31. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I can't honestly remember. I made it quite a long time ago. I need to start taking notes on the wines I make - there are only a few kits that I regularly buy - I never remember the details on others.

32. Jenn

Left Shark

I definitely need to start making a log.

So I'm considering doing a batch of island mist for the summer. Are there any particular ones that people have had great luck with?

I made a calendar this morning for the steps in the process and I will have carboys available in time for transferring the fruit wine over.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  33. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I should make a log for these as well since they're actually fresh in my mind. For Island Mist, I have made (and my thoughts)

Green Apple - by far our favorite. I have made 3 batches of this and always ensure it's on hand during the summer.
    Mango Citrus Symphony - I made a batch of this last summer, but I never got it bottled until the fall because I didn't have time - we've sampled a few bottles, and it may take over as a winner from the Green Apple.
    Strawberry White Merlot - It's tasty, but a bit too sweet. We'll probably mix this with something.
    Black Raspberry Merlot - This is the only IM kit we had to let age before it started tasting really good. In the end, it was really quite good, but not quite as "refreshing" as the others on a hot day.

My in-laws have also made (and I've tasted) the Peach variety. I wasn't a big fan.

I always add the booster to bump the alcohol content as well. They usually have a 2 for 1 sale on these just when it's about too late to get them ready for summer at Noble Grape.

34. Jenn

Left Shark

I was thinking the apple wine (I love apple juice and apple flavour stuff). I do like a sweet fruit wine, so maybe someday I will try the straweberry.

35. Sasquatch

Definitely start keeping logs... I only started keeping records in 2007 and I wish I had done it years ago. It's nice to look back on all the steps and what was done differently, etc.