brewmasters...who makes?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by jspurr, Feb 19, 2009.

1. jspurr

jspurr
    [OP]

who on RC makes their own Wine / Beer

i just made a white Chardonnay and have a red shiraz on the go now... watermelon on deck for the next batch

what do you make?

2. visual_kool

Beer. Best stuff I made was a cervesa 2 years ago

3. dannyboy

Meathead

We made a batch of Pilsner that we drank back in December and just drank a batch of Pale Ale last weekend. We got 67 strong beers out of the last batch ($30 for the kit).

4. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I make Wine primarily - I bottled a batch of Liefraumilch (white) last night. I have 2 other batches that I'll probably bottle in the next week or so - a Tempranillo and a Shiraz. Once I've cleared the room from those, I'll probably put on another red and maybe another Island Mist (stocking up for summer). If you haven't tried them, the Island Mist kits make great summery "wines" - the green apple is a big hit.

I buy 99% of my supplies from Noble Grape - great staff, very helpful.

5. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Hopefully Sasquatch notices this thread - he makes a lot of (reportedly awesome) wine and has a ton of knowledge.

Jenn does as well, I believe.

6. Snide

Go Habs Go!

I will confirm that this information is accurate.
    I've been fortunate that I usually get a sample from each new batch.

7. jspurr

jspurr
    [OP]

my buddy made this stuff and it was really good!!

and noble grape is defiantly a great spot

8. jspurr

jspurr
    [OP]

so those who make it then.. do you guys rent the filter machine from there too? my buddy has one that i borrow and i rent the corker for 2$.

ive been impressed with it so far

9. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I don't bother with filtering for 2 reasons:

a) I personally avoid any steps that can potentially introduce contaminants into the wine. The filter machines, even after they're cleaned, never seem 100% sanitary to me. I'm a complete clean freak when it comes to making wine.
    b) I usually let my wine bulk age for about 6 months. At that point, any sediment that is left is sitting in a thin layer on the bottom of the carbuoy. I use one of the syphons that has the special bottom on it and am very careful when I get near the bottom so I dont disturb any sediment... the end result is I end up with very little sediment in my wine.

If you do end up with some sediment, you can usually tell before pouring - just decant it into a decanter through a coffee filter.

I have a hand-held corker that works great.

10. spnx

Sometimes wine and I'm about to make beer.

A friend gave me everything to make beer, carboy, mix and all, and I've just been to lazy to get my act together and actually make it.

11. Miss Shawty

Nowwww I know why you were drinking wine.

:toetap:

watermelon , hmmm sounds delish!

12. thEmiXeR

brewing is awesome

everyone should brew that drinks... friggen taxes on liquor

13. Pinkette

My Dad and Step Mom got a kit for rasberry chocolate wine for christmas. I am DYING to taste it. Not a "drink the entire bottle" type of wine, more of a have a half a glass type.

I'm thinking about picking up a strawberry wine kit soon. I want to try something fairly easy since it will be the first time I'll be making my own.

Love the island mist kiwi-pear as well.

14. jspurr

jspurr
    [OP]

post up a pic of your brewing center @ dan's

15. Sasquatch

Closer to the inevitable.

Good thread. I make quite a bit of wine this time of year... so far with just kits and fresh juice, but am planning on a crush this October (either Marechal Foch or Baco Noir... I think those would be the easiest to get my hands on).

I just stabilized a Gew├╝rztraminer, but I usually make reds. I'm bulk aging a Sonoma Cab Sauv and South Aussie Syrah right now (both grape skin packs). The Cabernet was on about 5 ounces of medium toasted Hungarian oak for 5 weeks, and I think I might treat it with some BioLees or a similar product to round out some of that oak. I'll see what it's like in a few months before bottling.

I actually had a bit of an issue with the Syrah and Cabernet, experiencing really sluggish fermentation after they were transferred to the carboy. In the long run, a very low percentage of residual sugar is probably unavoidable from pasteurized sterile musts, but it's driving me bonkers not being able to get the final SG down to where I want it. I may try some yeast nutrients in my next grape skin kit, but I've heard that it can strip some of the colour from the final product in kit wines... has anyone heard anything like this?

As far as filtering goes, I usually end up filtering all of my wines just to polish them. I do it mostly because when you use the vacuum setup, it will suck the wine through into the vacuum-purged caboy, so there's no real risk of oxygen exposure there and the amount of Co2 that's driven off is amazing. I haven't had a single fizzy wine since I started filtering this way. I hear ya though on the sanitation part... I go a little nutty making sure it's all gleaming clean.

16. Sasquatch

Oops, that should be Aussie "Shiraz"... crazy Aussies.

17. Sasquatch

We must all do a wine swap!! I'm not sure how awesome it is - I think the secret ingredient is time.

18. jspurr

jspurr
    [OP]

RC Wine swap?

every batch ive made i keep a bottle tucked away and usually crack it open after 5-6 months...

19. Jenn

Left Shark

I am going to put on a Spanish Rioja this weekend, then a batch of fruit wine when that's done (not sure what kind yet, maybe apple), then another batch of a cab sauv or shiraz.

I'm a red wine fan definitely. My batch of Cab Sauv. a couple years ago turned out top notch.

Maybe I should do a white at some point too. Any suggestions?

Sadly, I haven't dug out my gear since we moved to the new house in May. :happysad: I think I need a couple more carboys too so I can get multiple batches on the go.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  20. Jenn

Left Shark

Oh and my bf's father just bottled a new red. An italian one...can't remember the name. It's DELICIOUS.

21. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I agree that the secret ingredient is time.

I wish I could make my wife learn that, though, so more than half the wine would be left by the time I think it's "ready". :lol:

22. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Liefraumilch. (sp?) It's the only white I make and it turns out amazingly well.

We pretty much only drink reds, with some Island Mist and white in the summer, but I'll go with a Liefraumilch from my home stash any time.

Noble Grape just put it on sale.

23. Jenn

Left Shark

What brand is the kit?

24. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Luke - Most of what you posted is greek to me! I tend to be a "make it, keep it clean, and it'll turn out" kind of guy - can't even remember how to measure the SpGr!

Saying that, I haven't had a bad batch in years - last batch was a white that I had to dispose of, and I think that was due to sanitation conditions - I was brewing in a dirt basement full of mice..

25. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

26. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Oh - the Rioja kit makes an awesome wine. Rioja / Tempranillo reds are my favorite!

27. Sasquatch

Me gusta mucho vino do espanol!

I wish Tim V. from Winexpert could source a Limited Edition kit from the Priorat region in Spain... it's freakin awesome stuff. Lots of really unique mineral flavours. Lots of Grenache and some Tempranillo..

28. Sasquatch

Yeah, sometimes I need to remind myself that it's a hobby and I need to not obsess about some of the smaller details. Do you just let it go for a certain amount of time before throwing in the K-meta and Sorbate? One of the reasons I've been getting into watching the Specific Gravity so much is to make sure that the reds are completely fermented dry and the sorbate can be left out. I've only tried this once, but unless there is residual sugars left in the wine, there shouldn't be a lot of use for the Sorbate. Who knows... maybe this will be the big disaster wine. :lukelol:

29. Sasquatch

That kit is definitely a great white. I did it once back in the day with Gregg (N/A) - nice and crisp!

30. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Yep - I go by the recomended time given in the instructions and, mostly because I'm lazy, give it a couple of days for good measure, depending on the type of wine. I find with the basic kits, there isn't much that can go wrong. You usually have a pretty good indication based on how the fermentation has been going as to how much extra time to give it or if it will need extra time at all. I keep meaning to get back into checking spgr. after a talk with one of the guys at Noble Grape, but haven't ever followed through.

31. Sasquatch

Some people just go by how often the airlock is bubbling... I think that can be tricky too though, as the wine is so saturated with C02 after fermentation that it might still cause positive pressure without any fermenting going on.

32. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

i'm waayy to picky to drink homemade wine.
    I made a batch of IPA last summer, turned out excellent. I've been contemplating making another batch soon...we'll see

33. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Picky about what?

When made properly, most people tell me my home made wine tastes better than anything else they're drinking..

34. Jeramy

I usually have something on the go, usually red wine and/or beer. Although I have some white for odd occasions or meals and some citrus/mango chardonnay and blueberry merlot (island mist) that is refreshing and tastes like cool-aide in a good way. I bottled two batches of red last weekend, a Montepulciano and a shiraz and I have 2 19L kegs that are almost dry that I plan on filling with a pilsner and a lager in the near future. That also reminds me, I like to keep a stock of bitter in 500mL bottles on hand which is also getting low so I should probably throw one of those on soon too.

35. Mister Mopar

Always have wine on the go. +1 for Noble Grape, they are a bit goofy - but know their stuff.

I've never had a 'bad' batch. I always filter and keep everything clean and sterile. My experience is you get what you pay for. If you make wines from kits, the $40 jobbies *can* be good, and given time to age, can be very good. But IMO, they don't compare to the quality kits.

I usually give away ~50-60 bottles a year during the summer and various holidays to neighbours and friends, so I'd be up for an RC exchange.

Building Summer stock now....