The More You Know: BOHICA - Bell Aliant raising monthly rates again

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by C. Mike Hunt, Dec 12, 2018.

1. C. Mike Hunt

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/11/bell-aliant-is-increasing-service-fees-by-9/

Bell Aliant is increasing the cost of its services for all Atlantic Canadian customers by $9 CAD, according to a notice from Bell.
    The carrier says the increase is a result of investments towards network infrastructure so customers have better entertainment technology and faster internet.
    “In order to support these investments, the monthly rate of your 3-service bundle will increase by $9 as of your first billing period after February 1, 2019,” Bell said in the notice.

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I love how they increase our bills and say it's for us :rofl:

3. Wayne

To be fair, when I moved to Fredericton...I bought a bundle which included 50/30 Internet speeds. Over the last 6 years I never changed bundles once, but my internet is now 500/100 or something silly. The price has gone up a few bucks here and there over time but it's worth it if they keep bumping up my internet speeds and improving the TV guide/app quality.

4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah but their costs actually go down when the infrastructure is built out and it already has been. This is just for more profits :o

5. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

While I don't doubt that it's for more profits, continuously adding internet capacity in conjunction with increasing customer services, along with adding services isn't free.

Who the hell has a triple play bundle anymore?

6. PirateSteve

We are getting very close to cutting the cord on tv and home phone. Only reason we still have the phone is due to spotty cell reception here. Only thing I watch these days is hockey, and I can stream that. These services just seem to creep up in cost over the years.

7. Wayne

I do, but work pays for most of it. I just pay for cable.

8. clicker666

Older lifter

I have, in writing, an agreement setting the price of my package out until Nov 2019. They are not allowed to increase it for any reason.

Here's an article on the case: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-customer-wins-court-battle-over-contract-1.4635118
    Here's the case: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4446874-RAMSAY-v-BCE-INC-19032018-REASONS-for-JUDGMENT.html

In my situation I received an email and flyer indicating my cost would be 119.95 plus tax for 24 months. No small print (not that it matters with the above judgement).

When it comes due again I'll seek the package or threaten to go elsewhere.

Nick84 likes this.