BLM Protests

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, May 30, 2020.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

A not so quiet night in Seattle. Got an emergency alert around 4:50 saying "Curfew at 5pm". Good times.

Looks like LA is on fire and Minneapolis still going at it.

Jesus fuck.

2. dpwu32

Trash elf

Dang. Stay safe.

3. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

yeah its very unsettling whats happening in the the major metropolitan's down there. I feel so bad for the US citizens who want nothing but peace. the videos i've seen over the last 24 hrs down there is insane

4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The US is falling apart rapidly. Sad.

5. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

What happened in Seattle didn’t even make the national news given how bad it was in other places. It is unnerving to get the alert about a curfew and seeing photos and videos from the city you live in, though, especially once the reports of large grouped of white nationalists showing up to make it worse.

A friend in Minneapolis lives only 3 blocks away from the mess there.

I was tempted to load up the van and start the drive to NS. Benefits of having a place in NS now is that we have a place to land.

6. KLD

KLD

Hope you guys are okay! Unfortunately, I think, like with most riots/looting situations, a lot of people show up to take advantage of the chaos and make the people who are there for the cause look bad.

I saw some clips of other protests around the country where it was peaceful and the cops actually marched with them - it was nice to see, gave a small glimmer of hope, but yeah it's just insane. I really hope some change comes from all of this but I just don't know.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  7. Grifter

Bluh?

With all that's going on I can't help but think of this... Terrible meme but you get the point...

let-the-purge-begin-memegenerator-net-let-the-purge-begin-50055237.png

8. Wayne

I see Boston is a mess now too ... The US has turned into a meth lab in the Canadian basement. Trump sure has turned that place around, so much winning.

For the record, all for the protests, that murder can't go unpunished and people need to stand up...but this shit is disgusting.

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Would you have border issues coming back I wonder?

10. 17

teenage dirtbag

He wouldn’t be getting across unless he means permanent move

11. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I think he'd probably get in because he's a Canadian citizen but maybe not able to return?

12. Scott

rawr

not sure I'd want to go back

Grifter likes this.
  13. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

We wouldn’t be denied entry as citizens. We would just need to promise to quarantine AFAIK which makes it interesting thinking where to cross the border if we wanted to go straight to NS.

14. C. Mike Hunt

15. dpwu32

Trash elf

You'd 100% be allowed back in. Border guards have told me that they basically can't refuse you entry if you're a citizen.

With that said, you'd definitely be hit with a 14 day mandatory quarantine.

16. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Waking up to news of more riots and looting in Seattle last night. It has luckily not come out to my neighborhood but violent and a mess.

17. Scott

rawr

Trump is doing such a great job during this. What a shit show.

LMAC and chainsaw like this.
  18. C. Mike Hunt

19. C. Mike Hunt

Their new uniforms are apropos.

upload_2020-6-4_12-25-17.png

20. 17

teenage dirtbag

They are not going to do well in prison

Grifter likes this.
  21. C. Mike Hunt

Thoughts and prayers.

Wayne and Grifter like this.
  22. dpwu32

Trash elf

They pretty much HAD to charge all of them, and IMO, charging them doesn't really equate to much.

What will be really interesting is watching to see if the charges result in convictions, and if so, what the sentencing looks like. I suspect that three of them will walk.

chainsaw likes this.
  23. chainsaw

And if that happens, the protests of the last 10-11 days will look like a birthday party IMO

KLD likes this.
  24. C. Mike Hunt

25. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I'd like to rename the title of this thread to "Protests" or something. I think when I created it, I was a bit freaked out by the riots. I will say I'm still a little freaked out as things continue to escalate, now including Trump threatening military action against (mostly) peaceful protesters in Seattle.

I could be wrong about Trump, though - this article was helpful in understanding him a bit better: https://extranewsfeed.com/why-liberals-are-wrong-about-trump-c865b12c72a7

C. Mike Hunt likes this.
  26. C. Mike Hunt

Black Lives Matter protests?

27. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

BLM Protests is better than Riots, IMO.

28. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

The WA State Governor today after Trump tweeting about sending in the military to Seattle:

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 2.16.52 PM.png

29. boing

Banned

tribeachpunk likes this.
  30. boing

Banned

Here is an update from noon yesterday, I don't know the political lean of these news affiliates but I am sure I will be made aware of them if they are right leaning in a bombardment of anti trump "posts" in 3 2 1.....

31. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

All I know about King 5 is that it is a local Seattle TV Channel. I don't actually watch TV news so I don't know much about their political leanings (I'm sure I could Google it).

It's a justified reaction by the police to the closing of their precinct but her statements about what has been happening in Seattle both during the protests and the rumors of what is/was going on in CHAZ is inaccurate and has already been debunked. For example:

- She classifies the role of the police in the protests of "protecting the precinct". That is a scary statement - it sounds like a military statement as opposed to what their PR at the time was spinning: protecting and keeping the protests peaceful. All of the actions by the police during the protests also run counter to her statements.
    - I don't know where they were getting all of their intelligence about what is happening in CHAZ directly but all of the things that she mentioned (arson, checking for ID, etc) have all been debunked and is not true.

All to say: Of course the police are going to kick up a fuss but the information they're giving is an opinion and doesn't mesh with most of what I've seen - it's their viewpoint on it, it's reactionary to what is happening not just in Seattle but across the country.

boing likes this.
  32. Wayne

Police need to wear body cameras, all the time, no exceptions except personal situations.

Protects them and others.

Next, they need to law the hammer on police who do not strep in when they see injustice.

Last, no special leniency for cops committing crimes.

Fair for all, it's not complicated.

Grifter likes this.
  33. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Sadly it is complicated. The cost and intricacies of body cams are far more than most people suspect. Its absolutely doable but it's not an over night thing. Then there's the issue of how they are activated and deactivated. You can't have them run 24/7 nor can you rely on people to turn them on or off. Most police officers support the idea of them, but the desire to have them going from clock in to clock out is rediculous.

34. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Body cameras have been proven to be ineffective in enacting any changes for the types of poor policing that is being protested.

The more I read and learn about ideas around what "defunding the police" actually means, I think that is the way to go. Trevor Noah (I know boing, lefty wingnut Noah) hosted a panel to dive into what that really means that was really good:

35. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry...rcement-today-rant_n_5ee3ef5fc5b699cea53196b4

Inside The Dangerous Online Fever Swamps Of American Police

Cops have a far-right media ecosystem of their own, where they post racist memes, spread disinformation and call for violence against antifa.

Around the time news broke on Monday afternoon that the New York City Police Department would disband plainclothes anti-crime units that had been tied to several high-profile police shootings, someone calling themselves “ltdad613” started a thread on Thee Rant, a police message board that purports to host current and former NYPD employees. “I wouldn’t want to be a [Commanding Officer] for the next few compstats,” ltdad613 wrote. “This is right from [New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio]. I feel for anybody still on the job.”

Elsewhere, the posts on Thee Rant were much darker. In one Monday thread, “dominop” wrote that “A Firing squad would be a good cure for ANTIFA!!!” Other users chimed in to say snipers or napalm might be more fitting.

Thee Rant is just one node in a wider web of right-wing police media. On similar message boards, in Facebook groups and on news sites such as Law Enforcement Today — a sort of Breitbart-like outlet written by and for police — there is a fervent narrative that police are under nonstop siege, and that antifa in particular is a constant threat.

This police media ecosystem is not necessarily a broad representation of what most cops believe. But inside this echo chamber, which has thousands of users and readers, extremist views dictate the narrative. Wild misinformation and bigotry are rampant, with people who claim to be current and former officers posting debunked falsehoods and racist stereotypes about protesters.

Intense public focus on police behavior in recent weeks, following the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, has led to the termination of several law enforcement officers who posted conspiratorial or racist messages on their personal social media pages. When these posts are singled out for scrutiny and have a real officer’s name attached, opprobrium comes quickly, but most of those posts would be right at home in right-wing police media.

“What I think we have here is a market for this kind of racist and divisive garbage across the internet, and unfortunately police are participating in that wave that is witnessed across various professions,” said Brian Levin, director of the Center for the Study of Hate & Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino. “It pains me as a former NYPD officer to see this,” he said. “These posts are devastating.”

Levin doesn’t think people should assume that “cops en masse subscribe to this,” but he does see dangerous potential, because online echo chambers tend to “self-accelerate” bigoted beliefs. For “police in particular, who so often have to hold their tongue and try to restrain themselves,” he said, “online it becomes even more [of an] accelerant.”

The Extreme Views Of ‘Law Enforcement Today’

Law Enforcement Today claims to be the largest law enforcement-owned and -operated media company in America. It has repeatedly promoted far-right conspiracy theorists and authoritarian policies, particularly during the recent mass demonstrations against police violence.

Founded by Robert Greenberg, a Florida police captain who has called his outlet “a platform for the voice of law enforcement,” LET has more than 800,000 followers on Facebook and runs a syndicated radio show. Much of its content is provided by former or current police officers, and it offers paid memberships of $75 a year to gain access to “the patriotic content that the social media giants don’t want you to see.”

The site’s articles often bear only a passing resemblance to reality. Earlier this month, Law Enforcement Today published an article calling for the arrest of Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, accusing him of aiding and abetting “antifa” terrorists. The post cited numerous far-right media activists, including anti-Muslim conspiracy theorist Laura Loomer, and suggested that Democratic officials including Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.), Rashida Tlaib (Mich.) and Ilhan Omar (Minn.) are antifa sympathizers. It also baselessly attacked Tlaib and Omar, who are Muslim, as “arguably anti-Semites and ISIS supporters (if not in words, in actions).”

“Law Enforcement Today supports Laura [Loomer]’s demand that Dorsey be arrested and prosecuted for promoting an insurrection against the United States,” the article says. It also suggests that politicians such as Omar who have expressed support for the current protests against police brutality and systemic injustice should be arrested as well.

The article is published under the pseudonym “Sgt. A. Merica” and claims to be “written by several staff writers, including retired and wounded law enforcement officers.” Law Enforcement Today says it verifies the identity and background of its authors before publishing.

When it isn’t stirring fear of antifa, much of the site’s coverage focuses on law enforcement officers who have been harmed in the line of duty. It also regularly criticizes elected officials who are seeking to curb police powers, part of what the site calls a “war on law enforcement.” The consistent message is that police are perpetually under attack, and that the government — with the exception of President Donald Trump — does not have their back.

In recent weeks, rumors of antifa reaching small towns have created a kind of moral panic in some communities, leading to armed groups patrolling the streets. Law Enforcement Today has eagerly trafficked in these conspiracy theories. One LET article quotes a source purporting to be an anonymous Connecticut state trooper, who warns that riots in rural areas would be reminiscent of guerrilla warfare in Afghanistan and Iraq, and that “once they start moving into rural America, there will be a LOT of bloodshed.”

Another one of Law Enforcement Today’s recent articles is a far-right screed that claims the Black Lives Matter movement and antifa are using protests to “destroy America from the inside.” The piece echoes common white nationalist talking points: It blames the “radical left” for attacking “our Judeo-Christian heritage,” and claims that Western society faces an existential threat in part from “mass immigration from sub-Saharan Africa and the middle east.” LET tagged the article as one of its “must reads.”

The site also ran an article endorsing far-right congressional candidate Marjorie Greene, who in a campaign ad from early June warned “antifa terrorists” to stay out of her rural Georgia district ― while cocking a gun ― and who has spread a conspiracy theory that billionaire George Soros is funding protesters. Greene has also voiced support for the far-right QAnon conspiracy movement. Facebook removed Greene’s ad from its platform for inciting violence.

Another Law Enforcement Today post promoted a Florida sheriff who responded to unfounded social media rumors of riots moving into small towns by encouraging homeowners to arm themselves and shoot people encroaching on their property. Multiple articles include tweets from QAnon conspiracy theorists.

False, incendiary claims about antifa have rocketed around the right-wing media ecosystem, from Twitter to Fox News and ultimately to the White House. Trump recently tweeted a baseless claim that Martin Gugino, a 75-year-old man who was seriously injured by police in Buffalo, New York, may have been an antifa instigator.

Greenberg, who founded Law Enforcement Today in 2007, is listed as a police captain with the Indian Creek Village Public Safety Department on its official website. It’s not exactly a rough-and-tumble job on the front lines of American policing. Indian Creek Village, Florida, is a tiny island enclave for the superrich that bills itself as “the world’s most exclusive municipality.” At the time of a Miami Herald report in 2014, it had only 86 residents, whose combined net worth exceeded $37 billion. Jay-Z and Beyoncé previously owned a home on the island. (Incidentally, Law Enforcement Today ran an article earlier this month opposing Apple Music’s support of Black Lives Matter and criticizing “cop-hater Beyoncé,” who was included in Apple’s playlist.)

The offices of the village public safety department and of its mayor did not respond to HuffPost’s requests for comment on whether they have any policy on conduct or work outside of the department, or about Greenberg’s current employment status. Law Enforcement Today did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

More on link