Article in the Herald Today....

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Hiltzy, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Hiltzy

Hiltzy
    [OP]

Thought it was interesting...not sure how much truth there is to it (the oil patch work not coming back part)....thought I would get the opinion of the peeps actually in the profession. As somebody who has no actual experience with the industry...my feeling is that the jobs will come back.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1102875.html

2. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Oill won't stay at $40/bbl. Once it hits $60-$70/bbl again, a lot of the projects that have been shelved will come back online.

It sucks to see people losing their jobs, but if you plan ahead for this kind of thing, and don't live cheque to cheque, it certainly lessens the blow.

I find it entertaining all of the people that seem to get a kick out of Alberta having the oil bubble burst recently. Almost as if to say, "good for you, that's what you get for being rich." What these people don't see is that the money that Alberta generates benefits Canada as a whole. :shrug:

3. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

i dont see the issue as being a bubble busting, but more of a lack in planning ahead.

with the O/G industry being so up and down with work and whatnot maybe, just maybe people should have backup plans when they buy their 350k houses and 2 new cars.

how am i suppose to feel bad for the guy who cant make his bills when he is out driving around in a 60 to 70k jacked up f350 with like 15k in shitty looking chrome accent pieces stuck on the thing? i dont. if they lived within a normal way, and not the "i work in the patch, im rich, bitch" mentality then im sure they would be fine right now.

its not like once the oil slows down alberta slows down. just the foolish who dont have anything else planned.

4. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

also, i might add, theres some people that wont work for less now. like why work for 16-19 bucks a hour when i made 29.

i didnt know zero was better then making 19....and theres still lots of jobs in the patch, you just gotta know where to look and gotta be persistent to get one

5. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

My company was the one that just cancelled the weekly flight to CB. Its not going to be reinstated any time soon.

Yes, there are droves of east coasters being laid off in the oil patch right now. The sole reason is the price of oil. At $40/bbl, it is completely unfeasable for companies to spend their cash on capital projects. Big organizations are slashing spending like crazy because they need to keep a big cashflow for when there is a turn around. The big issue is that everyone is working for contractors. When big organizations slash spending, they are the first to go.

Will the market turn around and boom again? Who knows. If oil takes off again, the same companies that are slashing their spending have the cash on hand to spend on big projects that are more feasable with $70-80/bbl oil. The key here is that these companies have the power to move thousands of temporary workers at the drop of a hat if need be. Everyone is standing by ready to charter flights, build camps, train workers, etc...

Also make note that the majority of people they are referring to in this article are labourers or early apprentices. When times are tight, companies like mine are looking for contractors with the best of the best. I won't consider giving any company work right now that is working with less than a 1:1 Journeyman to Apprentice ratio.

Its a tough world out there right now in O&G and only the strong survive.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  6. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

How is this any different from people from the west celebrating when the price of gas goes up, Almost as if to say "Suckers, the harder life is for you, the better it gets for me."

7. watcha

Born Killer

maybe Alberta needs to jump on the bailout wagon like GM and Chrysler....lol

8. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

It's not different in any way, shape, or form. :shrug:

9. billybob

Last I heard, you don't need to live in Alberta to be invested in O&G. :lol:

10. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

I am not too concerned about my future in the O&G field. In my line of work there would always be work even if drilling stops completely. It is cheaper to keep a well flowing than it is to kill it. I may not end up keeping my job with my current company but I will still work in this field.

11. Hiltzy

Hiltzy
    [OP]

Wonder if the companies in Alberta will do what any good self sufficient province would do and fill the jobs with people "from Alberta" when the jobs start coming back? Not that I like seeing people from the East not have jobs....but it seems to me that the companies might realize how much money they can save...and how much they can help Alberta maintain its economic level by hiring from within the province...

or is there really that few people left in Alberta that want to work in the oil fields that don't already.

12. Elcoopto

The reasoning for this can be found....

Here

13. billybob

Thats pretty much it.

14. SE

SE

Just a little note: On my way to work on the radio the guy said 25 guys are getting laid off at Flint today. Can you imagine driving to work this morning and working there and hearing that over the radio? wtf.

15. Hiltzy

Hiltzy
    [OP]

Im hoping that the company would have the decency to deal with these 25 people last week. If not....thats pretty shitty.

Is there any compensation package available to peeps being laid off....or just...sorry...no work....call ya when there is.....maybe.

16. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

A friend of mine got laid off Friday before last here in Calgary. He was making $150K+ M-F with an engineering company.

He got five weeks, and his stuff in a box...

17. billybob

Contract employees = see ya later. we'll call you if we need you.

18. SE

SE

From what I have heard, there is nothing. One storey I got from a client of mine last week:
    He had been working for this company (oilfield company) for about 14 years, about 10 months ago they had a group of Pakistinians to come to work for them... they trained them for about 9 months and then all of the local guys, the ones who trained them were laid off. Horrible. He was on EI, that is all. :(

19. Hiltzy

Hiltzy
    [OP]

shitty dealz....im glad I am in a field of work that will never die (technology)

20. billybob

I'm glad I work for the owner. I will never work for a contractor.

21. Hiltzy

Hiltzy
    [OP]

Truth

22. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

They'll blame the Pakistanians but when you do a job that any monkey can do and will do for peanuts, don't be suprised when they hire a monkey.

23. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Not saying that it's not the case in this situation, but you have no idea what the job is/was (Nor do I in for that matter).

But it's an oilfield job, so it must require a minimal intelligence level to do...

24. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

What I mean, is if the company does not see you as being worth what you are being paid, they are going to replace you. Its unfortunate, but its business.

25. Hiltzy

Hiltzy
    [OP]

Not to be a douche or anything...but natives of Pakistan are "Pakistani", not "Pakistanian"

Sorry...was just buggin me :wiggle:

26. Hiltzy

Hiltzy
    [OP]

doesn't make it any less of a POS move on the companies part.

27. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Its business, and if you had any shares in that company you would be pretty pissed off if they didn't do that.
    A business is there to make money, plain and simple. And if they can get the same quality of work for 1/2 the price, why shouldn't they?

28. billybob

Exactly how not to avoid Unionization.

29. SE

SE

He wasn't blaming anyone. He said why would they keep us, if they will do the work for less money.

I hope your kidding, because I can't imagine you saying this.

I don't care what they are called. :lol:

30. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

If you had a lot of shares in the company, and found out that your CEO did not cut costs where s/he could have, and was actually paying a premium for employees, you would not be overly content. You can argue that you have enough vision to took long term, and realized that its a good thing, but the majority of share holders do not.

31. billybob

Well, of course I wouldn't be content. But the guys that get laid off at the other job after training their monkeys to replace them will have a bitter taste in their mouth at their next job and unionization is the easiest way to guarantee job security for people that are overpaid.

I am very anti-union. Especially after working in the most hostile unionized region in the country. My company wants nothing to do with unions and keeps employees happy by paying a premium to keep them away. And being one of the best performing stocks in the history of the TSX proves that shareholders don't see it as that much of an issue.

32. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Sarcasm...

33. thunder

my av is me

I can't say much, because what do I know, right? But the feeling I get from my step dad (who has worked in the industry like 30 years), is that it cycles like this, and that it will be back.

34. Stan

fashionably late

Alberta's sitting on a pretty healthy surplus, which is why we may not receive anything when the budget is released tomorrow.

I know 4 people who've been laid off, and 3 of them were working at Engineering companies. They seem to be hit pretty hard with the cancellation of projects. My company is still going pretty strong, no lay offs, since we're well run and privately owned.

35. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Word. We're still hiring a person every two weeks on average...

No slowdown whatsoever