Apple's Mobile Me

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by ShutterMOM, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

Anyone used this? I want to upload a website and am wondering if anyone uses this to do so?

2. Eclipse

countrygal

Not yet but I was thinking of it too.

Actually, I'm trying to figure out if I have created a website with iWeb - can I post it to another server?

And, what about updates? It looks like if you use that, every time you want to change something you have to upload the whole thing.

Does anyone have any experience / knowledge about it?

3. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

the only thing about apples i can tell you is that they're FRICKIN delicious!
    oh and they are good for you!

4. brokenhat

I use it for my personal website. Absolutely zero tolerance by Apple for business related stuff on there at all. There are a lot cheaper alternatives out there as well if web hosting is what you want. It's about $130 a year. The big reason to have MobileMe is if you have an iPhone. Instant email, contact and calendar updates on it. Now that Google has push calendar and contacts though, email is all that is really unique so it's value is getting less all the time. Another nice thing is if you want to use iWeb and MobileMe together it is soooo easy to make a publish a website my grandmother could do it.

5. Eclipse

countrygal

Thanks. Makes sense. Can you create a website with iWeb and upload to a host OTHER than MobileMe?

6. brokenhat

Yes you can, iWeb 09 adds this feature right in the program. With older versions you can publish to a folder and then FTP to the hosting site.

7. Eclipse

countrygal

Thank you very much. That's a huge help!

8. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

Thanks, that's really nice to know before I pay into it. Too bad though cause I have an iPhone and thought it would be a great service to have. But I'm not willing to buy it if I can't upload a "business" website. Does it say somewhere that you can't use it for business sites or you found out the hard way?