1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here a anti-mask or anti-vaxxer?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Gooch, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

Curious what everyone here's take on this is.

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I think the one person who would fall into that category no longer posts here

3. C. Mike Hunt

fixed

Grifter likes this.
  4. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

I have several on my facebook feed and it just baffles me how this is a thing.
    I wonder sometimes if this social shift of telling everyone they are special, no one fails, everyone gets a gold metal has warped people into thinking they actually know it all. They do not have to take advice from anyone because they are as smart as anyone else.
    I think people need to realize they are dumb as shit. I think the most important thing I learned growing up was that I am pretty dumb. I need to take advice and listen to people smarter than me in a particular topic.
    I am really loosing all faith in humanity.

Ross2019 likes this.
  5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Wearing a mask has become a political statement and tons of people have hitched their entire existence to politics. Once that happens, people stop thinking for themselves and throw all reason out the window.

Ross2019, Gerald and Grifter like this.
  6. Grifter

Bluh?

I'm not putting all my eggs in what the government is telling us about Covid. In that I don't believe it is the bubonic plague that it is being made out to be.

I'm by no means an anti masker. I wear one all the time, and I believe the methodology behind wearing a mask and social distancing. I believe it makes a difference.

What I don't believe is letting a glorified flu tank a countries economy and kill as many businesses as it has. I don't believe in killing Christmas. I don't believe in a government telling the people what it can and can't do. What they can and can't buy.

But I also can't believe how many people are flagrantly ignoring the reality we are in and making it worse on their own accord. I do believe the government and provincial government are doing what they are doing BECAUSE of how many people are making it worse. They've basically be left with no choice.

Do many people ignore it and make it worse for others? Yes. Do we need regulations and barriers put in place to minimize the impact Covid has, yes. Therefore are masks ok? Sure.

But this is also insane. I can't believe the world we are living in. Where if I was to have my mother over to my house, I would be fined.

Where so many are losing their jobs. So many restaurants and mom and pop owned business that don't have the backing of huge corporations are being forced to shut their door. It's pretty sad.

But I'll keep on keeping on and wear my mask. I minimize my outings, and only one person gets the groceries in my household. I do my part.

But wow. Just wow.

Smokey likes this.
  7. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

Yeah politics is becoming almost like religion

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

But wow. Just wow.

Thanks for the cut n' paste reply :rofl:

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I believe cult is the word you were looking for.

J0e Th0rnton likes this.
  10. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I don't think any government is calling it anything like the bubonic plague and this is the thing that angers me about the anti-maskers. The opinion of anti-maskers is that, "it's not any more deadly than the flu. Fuck you." That is not the problem! From the beginning - it is that our hospitals do not have the capacity to handle the number of people who will get sick if we don't take measures to keep the numbers low. We saw this happen early on in France. It's happening now in the Bible Belt states. The hospital gets over-whelmed and can't deal with it. It is different from the flu exactly because there isn't a vaccine. If we didn't have a vaccine from the flu, we would run into the same thing every year with that.

It's math. Hospital capacity is X. The potential for required COVID hospital stays is Y, where Y is *much* higher than X and will cripple our health care system. Flatten the curve.

So, GrifterGrifter - I also get all the concerns around the economy as well but if the measures aren't taken and the COVID numbers get to the point of "health care system failure", are you ok with that?

chainsaw, Gooch and Grifter like this.
  11. Grifter

Bluh?

No I'm not okay with that. Like I said before once again being mocked for sharing an opinion in a discussion... I'm not buying everything that's being sold.

You're 100% correct, and I neglected to think of the hospital stuff. I did point out that measures are not being followed. So I do agree with you.

I said plague in sarcasm. But I do think that it is being treated akin to how we would respond to a plague.

12. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

GrifterGrifter - I don't understand what it is that you think the government is trying to sell you that you either don't believe or is going over some line. From what I've seen, it's all simple math based on scientists' understanding of the epidemiology of the virus. The scientists are studying it, gaining better understanding of the specifics of this virus, comparing it to what they know of how other similar viruses have spread in the past and giving the governments the best data they can to stem the spread and keep our hospitals functioning.

I'm not mocking you. I'm trying to come to a common understanding of where things are at and why we're being asked to take precautions that might seem overboard but are based on science.

In the US, under Trump, he chose to deny what the scientists, including Dr. Fauci, were telling him and gave guidance that has led to large outbreaks that are just now really seeing the hospitals in the bible belt unable to deal properly with the number of people needing care. Some States are faring better but it's because they went on their own and ignored guidance from Trump.

13. KMD

KMD

I agree with Grifter about the small business they are taking a shit kicking and most will not recover from this and we are all being forced to shop at the big box stores.
    I wear a mask almost all the time I am out it's law now and so I don't have a choice but even before I have been wearing it for months now and sanitizing everything that comes into the house and whenever I am out and there is an opportunity to do so. Another thing that bothered me about this is the hand washing. it's not the actual washing of the hands it the being told to your wash hands and HOW to wash them. I have always been washing my hands.
    As far as vaccines go with this one I am not going to be first in line for it but the way Trudeau has been handling it, it looks like we will be one of the last ones to get it anyway

So who here gets the Flu shot every year? I do :hello:

Grifter likes this.
  14. C. Mike Hunt

If you're talking about Canada's lack of manufacturing capacity, you might want to read up on Connaught Labs. It was privatized by Mulroney back in 1984.

:wave:

17 and KMD like this.
  15. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I also agree that the small businesses are taking a shit kicking. I heard on CBC yesterday that some provinces have implemented rules where the big box stores can’t sell what the smaller stores had been selling and people could order online from the smaller stores. I don’t know exact details on that - I think it was Manitoba.

But here’s what happens when you’re not strict about rules: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...vxJgSxGKDZbfyWiB7FTaMf937s#Echobox=1606269689

And WA state is better off than a lot of states. It’s easy to complain when the precautions being put in place are basically working.

KMDKMD - no idea what your rant about hand washing was supposed to point out. Just because you both know the proper way and actually do it doesn’t mean everyone does. One trip to a public washroom tells you that.

Wayne likes this.
  16. Matt30

I choose not to get a flu vaccine, I don’t plan on getting a covid vaccine unless absolutely necessary. I do believe kids should be vaccinated tho....not sure if that makes me an anti-vaxxer or not but that’s where I’m at

17. Grifter

Bluh?

Wasn't talking about you with the mocking. I was referring to Steve.

And for clarity, I'm not into the conspiracy side of this either. I just am not cool with the approach that's being taken. I do believe Covid is real. I do believe it makes people sick and it's hitting a lot of folks. I do not believe we need to shut the doors to businesses, prevent kids from seeing their grandparents. Stop people from having a family dinner. I do believe measures need to be taken.

I get why the elected officials are doing what they are doing. But do I agree with it? No. Will I honour it? Yes.

I don't like the fact that people are losing jobs because of Covid. I don't like the fact that our economy is below the things I reference as garbage. I don't like that people are literally losing their homes over this. I don't like that I won't be able to uphold my dead father's tradition of watching Christmas daddies with my mother (his widow) because she happens to live in a different household than me, but people who live alone can have 2 guests over. I don't like the fact that the government can tell people in Manitoba that they can buy a loaf of bread some cigarettes, a stick of deodorant, some beer, some weed.... But they can't buy a pair of pants or a game for their kids.

But that's fine. I'll probably get mocked for this too.

KLD likes this.
  18. MRA

MRA

I am by no means an anti-vaxxer but I will not be getting any covid vaccine until long term testing brings out some data on side effects long term

chainsaw likes this.
  19. KMD

KMD

It was at the beginning of this it was all over the TV and radio Wash your Hands OVER and OVER it was like being treated like little kids. They are not as bad now, or maybe I have been assimilated and just don't notice :muri:
    It's just something you would HOPE people already KNOW how to do and DO it.

20. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

It was and is the #1 way to keep yourself virus free along with the mask. Why shouldn't they put it everywhere?

21. KMD

KMD

I will have a look at Connaught Labs but I was referring to this
    The US and Britain are starting immunize citizens starting in December and we are looking at when?
    At least a year?

I am fine having someone else ahead of me trying this but I don't want to be getting the bottom of the bucket either.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/us-uk-vaccinations-start-december-canada-silent-1.5814176

22. 17

teenage dirtbag

Then I guess you should remember that come election time and which party dismantled our vaccine manufacturing capabilities.

23. Scott

rawr

care to explain why?

24. Arod

I am sure they do know how to wash their hands properly but in general humans are lazy, disgusting creatures. You have to advertise to the lowest common denominator. I was in Valcartier a few summers back and they had to shut down the mess because of an outbreak of norovirus. A crusty old MWO had to explain what it was to those who didn't know. He had to say that literally someone wiped their ass and didn't wash their hands, then touched your food. Some people were actually shocked that their choice to exercise their freedom to be disgusting would affect others so much.

KMD likes this.
  25. Arod

We blame lockdowns and economic issues on the government during the pandemic but lets pout the blame where it belong which is with people who choose to take part in their "freedom" to not follow advice on hand washing, social distancing, gathering sizes and mask wearing. A friend said it well, if you are that militant on exercising your "freedom" to not follow basic guidelines why not try and serve to protect it first.

HairyAss and Gooch like this.
  26. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

We do a million other things every day to keep each other safe without questioning any of it but somehow wearing a mask triggers people. Choosing to be anti mask or anti vaccine is like getting in your car and saying 'everyone else drives on the right side of the road so we all stay safe but screw it, I'm not doing what the government tells me, I'm gonna drive on the left'

27. Wayne

This was my opinion as well FOR THE FLU VACCINE, I never got one, but I believed those at high risk and children should. I had and do plan to get covid vaccine as soon as I can.

However, with the baby coming, this year I did get a regular flu vaccine and will get one each year from now on.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    KMD likes this.
  28. KLD

KLD

Definitely not anti-mask or anti-vax, but I don't think it's unreasonable to question some of the actions being taken by the government. It's not so bad here but when I hear of other places where they aren't even supposed to step foot outside your house, not even to go in your yard - that freaks me out and it doesn't make any sense.

29. 17

teenage dirtbag

Where is this happening?

30. KMD

KMD

Oh I will, I will also look back at which party dismantled our manufacturing capabilities in general.

31. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

KLDKLD and KMDKMD is too confusing

KLD and Grifter like this.
  32. KMD

KMD

Dog bless the crusty old Master Warrant Officers they always have such a kind way and are so pleasant, yeah and they will hold nothing back or sugar coat it :lol:

33. KMD

KMD

I never even noticed until now :eek3:

34. KLD

KLD

Not gonna lie, I may have got caught up in some friends who were telling me that this was happening in Australia in the areas where they had really strict lockdown. I should have researched more...I can't find anything, my bad. I did find a story of somewhere in the UK where police apologized for telling a family they couldn't go out in their front yard, so maybe it was taken out of context from that?

35. Matt30

My body’s immune system is pretty mint. I’m never sick. I’m around and exposed to viruses likely way worse than the flu on a daily basis. The last flu shot I got was around 10 years ago and I’ve never been more sick in my entire life. The only time I’ve been sick since was when I got food poisoning. But since then, not as much as a runny nose. I’m not one to vaccinate to protect others, I just look out for myself.

As for the covid vaccine, I won’t get it until any long term side effects, if any, are released. Unless they come out and say you must be vaccinated to travel, then I will risk it. I gots to have my vacation time.