Anybody shoot with a D700?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by krystal, Feb 3, 2009.

1. krystal

krystal
    [OP]

I'm planning to upgrade my camera at some point in the hopefully near future. I've read tons of reviews on both Nikon and Canon cameras trying to decide what I want. $3000 plus tax is about what I'm able to spend, maybe a little bit more for the right camera. 'm currently shooting Nikon, so I decided it would be best to stick to the same team since I don't want to have to get all new lenses.
    I think I've settled on the D700, I like what I've read about it and I love that it is supposed to do so well at high ISO's but I thought I'd ask if anyone here has one or has used one to get an opinion from someone I kinda know.
    I don't think I remember hearing anyone talk about using one before, so maybe no one will reply but I'll post anyway.

2. Arod

It is a fantastic body! I have heard nothing but awesome things about it.

Personally I would wait for the Canon rebates in the spring and get a 5D mkII though...:-0

3. SheOfManyChildren

Scott does (novascotiaskier)...he just got it a couple weeks ago.

4. Stinger

A friend of mine has had one since early December - he has nothing but good things to say about it.

5. Arod

Tanya...your inbox is full!

6. brokenhat

What Nikon lenses do you already have if you don't mind my asking?

7. SheOfManyChildren

Resend! :happysad:

8. GBP

GBP
    Dont chu be hating

My good friend who shoots weddings with me just got his d700 today - he has been wanting one since it came out and today he finally got it!!

It's a pretty pimpin' camera - a mini d3

9. krystal

krystal
    [OP]

Arod ~ I'm really torn between the 5DMkII and the D700.... in fact I had made up my mind to switch to Canon a while back to get the MkII but changed my mind again. I haven't heard anything but good stuff about the D700, but I have heard a few bad things about the MkII. I think the MkII issues have been fixed with a new firmware release though, correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

brokenhat ~ The only lenses I'd want to keep to use on the D700 are my 50mm 1.8,which is dirt cheap, and my 70-200mm 2.8 which I admittedly don't use all that often. Maybe my lens excuse is a bad one! :happysad:

Thanks for the opinions, regardless of what I buy, I can't wait to ditch the D80.

10. novascotiaskier

I have one. I've been using it for a bit over a month.

I spent three years waiting for the D3x and was sorely disappointed by its price and almost switched teams for the Canon 5D Mk II. Some days I wonder if I shouldn't have, given the reviews that are out on that product. However, I decided to stay with Nikon because:

1. I have a lot of $$ invested in lenses and flashes that I would have to replace

2. I love the Nikon user interface and find the Canon a bit confusing (granted, I could probably learn the Canon UI)

3. A lot of what I shoot is early morning landscapes / streetscapes and I need
    a) low, low noise
    b) reliable and fast autofocus in low light

4) IMHO, the D3x price WILL drop OR there will be a D700x at some point

5) The D700's capabilities exceed my abilities and probably will for the next couple of years anyway (if ever)

So coming from a D70s to a D700, I can tell you that I had minimal learning on the UI. The noise is a LOT lower. Autofocus is a LOT faster. It performed well in the cold at the World Cup, where it was outside on my neck all day long. The FPS is as fast as I will ever need. It is a LOT heavier. I like the live view and the artificial horizon features, as they fit well to my style of shooting. And I'm now of the opinion that I probably won't ever be able to 'outshoot' the D700. The only thing I might need is medium format resolution (which is why I wanted a D3x in the first place).

I'm not adverse to you borrowing it for a day's shoot if you think it will help you make your mind up.

-S.

11. krystal

krystal
    [OP]

Thanks Scott, your review is very helpful.

While it's ridiculously generous of you to offer to let me borrow your camera, I couldn't possibly accept. Maybe sometime I'm up your way we could meet up for coffee and I could look at it, maybe take a few shots in the parking lot or something and then give it back. I'd be so worried that something would happen to it!

I think we're kind of coming from the same place, with the exception that I like to shoot people and you like landscapes. What I need is low noise (even at high ISO's) and reliable, fast autofocus in low light.... same as you. I'm stuck with ISO 400 or below with the D80 if I want to keep the noise level down, so technically anything would be an improvement from where I am. That doesn't mean that I don't want high performance though!

I do have $2500 or so invested in Nikon lenses and flashes that I would want to keep (I know that's not a lot compared to a lot of you) and it would be nice to use the D80 as a backup if needed and know that all of my lenses will mount. I've never used a Canon, so I have no idea what the UI is like. I don't think I'd have much trouble switching after a couple weeks even if everything were completely different, which I'm sure it is, but I am sure that I couldn't shoot with a Nikon and a Canon around my neck at the same time and keep things straight. (Plus they'd fight :lol:)

The only thing that the D700 doesn't offer that I wish it did is more megapixels. In all reality, I probably will never need to print anything large enough to need the 21MP that the 5DMkII offers, but I'd rather have too much than too little, kwim? Maybe by the time I have the $$ Nikon will put out something with a few more MP and if not, oh well, I think I'm going to get the D700.

12. Cracker

non-n00b

I have printed many 2' by 3' prints and canvas off of my D3 that were cropped before printed and the quality is still exceptional.

13. Arod

Since you have money invested in Nikon lenses the D700 would be a good choice I think. As much as I would love to convert people to Canon from the darkside it can be a pain in the ass to build up your lenses again.

One thing to note is that the 5D has reaaaallly surprised everyone with its low light focus abilities though

14. majaphoto

I actually just took the same plunge as Scott (from D70s to D700) a couple weeks ago. I'm *very* happy with it, and can't keep the smile off my face when shooting now. If all you're concerned about is the 12 vs 21 MP, I think it's a non-issue at least as far as print size goes. I think the only appreciable difference might come in the level of fine detail that is resolvable in landscape shots etc.

Otherwise, the D700 completely kicks ass in so many ways.

1) Ridiculous high-ISO performance. Shoot ISO 6400 hand-held, and yeah it's got some noise, but it's all fine-grained luminance noise and not splotchy colour noise. I've got ISO 1600 shots accepted at major stock agencies, with absolutely no noise reduction applied.

2) Gorgeous, big viewfinder. This will be a revelation if this is your first full-frame camera.

3) Great dynamic range and ability to recover tone details in highlight areas. RAW files are very responsive to exposure and WB tweaking.

4) Super simple and user-friendly interface with *large* buttons for all major functions. It is easy to shoot with gloves on and switch ISO, shooting mode, access menus etc.

5) 5fps is plenty quick. Add the battery grip and you're up to 8fps, which is fast enough for almost anything.

6) 3D AF continuous tracking. I haven't tried the competition, but I doubt there's anything out there better than this. Shooting moving objects at 8fps and having every shot in a burst come out in focus is phenomenal.

7) I haven't used it yet, but the camera will let you fine-tune focus settings for each and every lens you own - and then apply those adjustments automatically every time you mount that lens.

8) Auto ISO - again, haven't really played with it yet, but from what I've read, Canon doesn't implement this as smoothly as the D700.

Go for it! :)

15. Getson

I agree. Do it.

16. GBP

GBP
    Dont chu be hating

I hate being a Canon shooter and reading posts like this! UGHH! ahhaha... Reasons like this are why I was contemplating a Nikon switch a few months back

17. krystal

krystal
    [OP]

Thanks maja for another very helpful review and everyone else as well for your input. I think I've made up my mind, D700 it is! Now if only I had my T4 so I could file my income tax! If nothing else comes up that needs the money my return should pay for the body (or most of it at least)! *fingers crossed*

18. krystal

krystal
    [OP]

Cheddar ~ 2'x3' wow! I guess 12MP vs. 21MP really isn't that much of an issue.
    I'm curious how big others have printed from a 10-12MP file now, but I'll start another post.

19. majaphoto

Print size really has almost nothing to do with it. If you really wanted to, you could make a billboard out of a 6mp photo using Genuine Fractals (or similar software). If you look at it from 2 feet away, it would look terrible, but from the road below it would look fantastic. So, with a 21MP file, all you're guaranteeing is that if you look at it more closely, you will see more detail. At the proper viewing distance, a 12MP file has plenty of information to make very large prints.

20. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

You must be thinking of Cracka. While we do go well together, we are two separate items. I do make the snack though. Without me, she's just a dried up piece of bread.

21. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

And $2500 for a D700 is a whole lot more attractive than 5 for the canon.

22. Cracker

non-n00b

Bahahaha well thanks! I guess:hsugh::p

23. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I just wish you were on top sometimes.

24. Cracker

non-n00b

Get a piece of pepperoni in there and I can be:cool:

25. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

26. Arod

$5000 for what Canon? The 1d mkIII?

Right now in Canada the D700 typically sells for 2999-3299 and the 5D MkII for 3099

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  27. pcphotos

:lol:

28. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

So I would have no problem selling a 100% Legit D700 brand new for 3100 tax in?

29. krystal

krystal
    [OP]

lol, you would be correct, I meant Cracker. I always get you two mixed up in my head... it doesn't help that Getson's avatar is cheese either! :lol:

30. novascotiaskier

A quick addendum to my post about my D700.

1) I got mine from Henry's eBay store for $2,300 USD. It always pays to keep an eye on their eBay store.

2) I just saw this comparison between the D700 and a Hassey.

3) Check out Micheal's Reichmann's thoughts on the whole quality versus value topic.

Of course I am just trying to justify my decision!!

;-)

-Scott.

31. novascotiaskier

That's a couple of times now I had a double post on RC/IE. Anyway to delete the second one? :confused:

Ah-hah! Found it!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  32. Arod

That is exactly what they are selling for from retailers in Canada according to photoprice.ca...the same amount as a 5D MKII. Was the 5 you had mentioned in your other post a typo?

33. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I've never priced up a Canon, it was just a guestimate. It was wrong. :kekeke:

34. Arod

Chedder should know better!

HA! I rhymed! I'm a poet and I didn't even know it.