Any Motorcycle peeps here?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Banned/Deleted User, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Banned/Deleted User

Just curious as to what is a good bike for a beginner.. Im thinkin something in the 600 or 750 class? Maybe a CBR600? or a GSXR??

2. Eisenflower

Suzuki SV650. Look into it. 4cyl bikes are not the best choice for a beginner bike especially if you never rode many bikes before, However it's entirely up to you. Sticking with a Vtwin such as the SV650 gives u a much easier bike to learn on, and also plenty of tourque/power without having such a high strung machine.

3. Banned/Deleted User

[​IMG]

I dont think so...

4. Eisenflower

So your basing your decision on looks opposed to what is "good" for a beginner bike all around? If thats the case, you shouldn't ask what the ideal bike is for learning on. the CBR's, R6's etc all look nice but if you have never ridden bikes before period it's opening up a new can of worms by purchasing a bike like that. They are very un-forgiving bikes to a learner.

5. Eisenflower

the pic you posted is the naked version of the sv.. you can buy a fairing'd version that looks way nicer.

[​IMG]

6. Banned/Deleted User

Im baseing it on something I would buy, and if I dont like it, Im not gonna buy it now am i :wink: Price range is the biggie, what are the ranges on these different machines??

7. bluenosersx

i'd agree

would you rather look cool and be 6 feet under or put up with that bike (not all that bad) for a bit to learn then trade up for a nice gsxr once you've got the skills down and be alive to actually drive it :)

8. Banned/Deleted User

All bikes have the potential to put you 6ft under.. 2 wheels, no illusion of safety.

Definatly not getting a 2003 but something along the lines of this is what I know Ill end up with..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Hornblower

or you could just go for the gsxr and take a training course on how to ride it then you have the bike you want and know how to drive it..

10. bluenosersx

i am in the same boat

i SOOOOOO want a bike!!! and i know when derek moves over here next summer (he is thinking of buying a bike) i'll probally end up buying one

the only thing is i know i'll be dead within 2 months of getting it, I guess thats the only thing talking me out of one!!

11. JP®

My roommate just bought a new 636......

Im thinking next spring or late fall I want to buy like a 96+ CBR.... If you stay fairly modern, a 600 will keep you happy for your first year.

12. slouse

I was down browsing Pro Cycle with my friend looking at Honda 4x4's and almost bought a Katana 750...I'm pretty irresponsible like that. In fact I might go down this week and get one. My obituary should be in the paper in about two weeks along with a spectacular high speed crash scene on the front page.

13. danofre

I suggest the SV650 as well. Why bother with the fairings when you are just gonna dump it and rip them off. But seriously, the SV650 is a respected bike, rides well, easy to learn on, etc. Pirce is good as well. Get an old Ninja 500 off ebay and crash it a few times. Then you will be suited for a bigger more expensive bike.

14. Banned/Deleted User

Im gonna stick around the 600cc 750cc range..

15. danofre

How much do you weigh?

16. Banned/Deleted User

17. LIVNLRG

I'm Famous

same reason i don't own a bike now!!!!!! i don't wanna be front page news!

18. danofre

Ok, I weighed 145 when i got my first bike which was a 250. Small yes, but first time on a bike it was more than enough to get me going. A 500 isnt anything to laugh at either at 200 lbs. It moves. The 250 was the most acceleration I have felt outside the time I drove the lotus. A 650 would be good for you but the CCs cost the money and that more money scraped up on the street the first time you drop it. And you will drop it I promise.

19. Hubbs

World's Tallest Midget

well do i have the perfect bike for u....1996 Honda CBR......cheap too, only 15,000 kms on it, great condition....this is my first bike and it was very easy to ride as far as sport bikes go.....i dunno if i would get the 600 RR though, that might be a little harsh to ride, i think the suspension is more suited for racing then street riding....correct me if i am mistaken though

20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Here ya go, Finee. Cary this around with you on your new bike. It'll definetly make the coroners job easier :)

[​IMG]

21. Banned/Deleted User

Ok, same deal...I don't want either of YOU to be front page news.

When I went to Pro last year, I was talking to one of the guys there for hours, and he recommended for me, a little crazy blond girl with a death-wish twinkle in her eye, to get a Ninja 500R to start because they're a little easier to learn on, and you are situated a little differently on the bike than with a regular GSX-R (which I will own soon) or CBR or what have you. Said that you have a better feel of what's going on around you when you sit a little more upright, and until you are comfortable on a bike, you should avoid the crazy 600's and 750's....at least for the first year.

I went and bought a 4-wheeler instead and broke my wrist. :lol:

22. Left_E

HA HA HA HA

there is nothing wrong with having a 600 as your first bike as long as you carry the responsibility, a 600 is fairly light and easy to control, providing you don't over exceed your limit...

23. Hubbs

World's Tallest Midget

yeah you'll be alright as long as u don't drive outta your ability level, its tempting to come on to her but ya gotta resist