1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Question for you computer saavy peeps...

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Skyline, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Skyline

Skyline
    [OP]

Hey do you know if serial HD's actually run faster than the regular PCI ones? I heard a guy today claim he loaded WinXP in like 5 mins on a SATA drive...and was intrigued... :o

So, I'm thinking of getting a new motherboard this week, one that actually supports SATA HD. I'm cheap, and I found this one:
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KT6V-LSR&class=mb
    Any comments? I've never worked on an MSI MB before, but I've been happy with the router and wireless network I have from MSI. I can get this board for less than $100.

2. DJQ

DJQ

It takes more then the speed of a drive to cut down install time.. RAM, and CPU speed are also big factors

3. Skyline

Skyline
    [OP]

I know that, but all things remaining equal, does the S-ATA interface work better/faster than the PCI?

4. Cody

The specifacation your are refering to is PATA (80 pin cables) not PCI.

SATA is ever so slightly faster than PATA due to a slightly faster throughput capability (150mb/sec vs 133mb/sec) but you won't see that in a real world PC. The fact of the matter is that most IDE 8mb cache drives won't exceed 45-50 mb/sec throughput on average because once you fill the drive's buffer you have to wait for it to commit it to disk before it will accept more data, this is the pitfall of the mechanical system. Even the highest end disk drives don't exceed 60-70mb/sec throughput. SATA also provides each disk with it's own data bus so on a system with multiple disks this can mean increased performance (especially in RAID configurations).

SATA's real advantage over PATA is the reduced cable size (7 wires vs 80) and increased cable length (1 m max). Also, the SATA bus includes provisions for chassis management (similar to SCSI and Fiber Channel) and the reduced connector size means SATA backplanes can be much smaller.

SATA is no miracle and unless you need a disk system that's maybe 5% faster I wouldn't bother at all untill you upgrade to your next system. SATA will eventually replace PATA.

5. Skyline

Skyline
    [OP]

sweet.. that's exactly what I wanted to know!!!

:bowdown: to the carpetsloth.

6. Cody

FYI: I think you need to buy your friend a new watch, installing xp in 5 mins sounds like a fabrication to me. :)

7. GiPWeb

Me is I

On your MSI board question.

I have an MSI board and am happy with it, except for its lack of overclockability. Some people have success with o/cing them but not many. They can also be finicky in trying to get the first boot to occur when building a system on one, of course that only holds true if you dont RTFM (read the fuc**ng manual) it says right in there to set the system to safe mode using the jumpers, reset the bios and then go from there.

As for the board you selected the kt600 chipset is good but I prefer the nforce2 chipset. But it sorta like Ford vs Chevy as both chipsets are pretty close when benchmark against each other. BTW my MSI has been super stable and has had no problems whatsoever. I have the k7n2-ilsr

If i was buying a board and I wanted to be able to overclock I would go with:

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X-X&langs=09

I put one of these in my g/f's system. runs like a dream and overclocks well. (Shhhh...dont tell here I o/ced it though she'd be pissed...i did set everything back to stock when I was done).

Otherwise I would go with this one in MSI badging.
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2-LSR&class=mb

neway just my thoughts. In the end if you wnat the board you linked I would say go for it. Nothing wrong with MSI boards if your not an overclocker.

G.i.P

PS and yeah 5 min to install..thats mad fast I dont think you can even tranfers the files on a 52x cdrom to the harddrve that fast.

8. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

Greenlyph here in Halifax built a monster Athlon64 system that installs windows in 9 minutes flat (XP that is).

9. Skyline

Skyline
    [OP]

Buddy i was talking to said the only thing slowing him down was the CD-ROM speed. Anyone know any good deals on an MSI/PIV MB/CPU combo around HRM?