Another Laptop question

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by J0e Th0rnton, May 17, 2016.

1. J0e Th0rnton

We currently have 1 desktop and 1 laptop.

Considering just cutting cable altogether and tethering a laptop permanently to the TV Via HDMI strictly for downloaded kids cartoons. Only need internet and phone.

Quite frankly, the only use for TV we have is treehouse for our daughters and the occasional hockey game for me and we only have it because it came with the current cheap plan we are on. We can and always have downloaded everything else.

So we will need a new laptop. How powerful a laptop will we need to hook up to a 42" TV. Guessing we won't use it for streaming or anything since we have a desktop and already good laptop for that.

2. lost

seasoned n00b

I would say that if you can find a laptop with an HDMI out built in then it will do what you need. You'd have to go looking for something that wouldn't be able to play a 1080p video these days and most downloaded videos aren't even that high res.

Most decent android boxes that will take a USB stick (for downloads) will work too. Easier to setup and lower power consumption too. I have a raspberry pi doing the exact thing you are talking about.

3. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

How much time did you just spend trying to barter between Eastlink and Bell for the best cable package and now you don't want it? Just get a roku box and stream video wirelessly off one of your other two computers.

4. J0e Th0rnton

About an hour on the phone.
    Realistically, I was just trying to broker a long term deal staying near my current rate. Turns out it is just easier to get phone + internet for this price and not have to worry about it again. They charge outrageous prices outside of new customer deals for TV undles and I just am never going to pay those rates and I don't want to do this every 12-24 months. Ideally I want to minimize the work at learning new stuff and setting up new stuff.

Hooking a laptop to a TV is easy for me. Minimizes any work I need to do and not paying for TV will offset the price within 6 months to a year. Right now I am swamped trying to make sure everything is going to be in order when we move into our new house late June. RSP's for first time homebuyers, banks, water and power hookup's, buying a lawnmower for the tiny lawn, figuring out how to properly separate garbage and garbage day pickup's(Which we just did not need to do in our apartment. fiancee has allergic reactions to freshly mowed lawns and now find out we can't ditch the clippings in a bag), renting a moving truck, hiring a cleaning service for our old apartment, House insurance setup and binder letter, life insurance setup, slight maintenance on the new house once we get it, adding furniture......
    And work has been awful the past month with this being busy season and being shortstaffed. I am just overwhelmed and trying to keep up.

I don't know much about Roku boxes or android boxes, how complicated they are, etc. But I can try to learn if you care to give me a few pointers and it is balls easy.

When it comes down to it, we will need another laptop regardless unless they can stream cartoons while I am on my PC and the fiancee is on her laptop doing other things

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  5. 17

teenage dirtbag

sonarr + plex + roku will change your life.

6. Duggan

How does this work?

7. 17

teenage dirtbag

Sonarr is like a dvr for torrents. It automatically downloads to your specs such as new episodes and what quality you set it for, plex sees the download folder and organizes the files, roku with plex app for wireless streaming from the computer.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  8. Scott

rawr

I never could get Sonarr set up how i wanted it to. I use sickbeard. Same thing really though. That with Plex = win