1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

and they say men dont like getting directions...

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by burnunit, Jan 6, 2005.

1. burnunit

burnunit
    [OP]

... looks like this guy was a little too eager.

GPS havoc on French motorway
    Correspondents in Nancy
    DECEMBER 01, 2004

AN ELDERLY motorist driving along a 130km/h expressway in eastern France caused an accident when he followed the advice of his onboard GPS computer - and made a U-turn to drive into the high-speed traffic.

Police said the hapless 78-year-old driver, who was not named, and the occupants of the vehicle he ran into escaped unharmed from the collision late Sunday, but it could have been much worse.
    The man told officers his car GPS had told him to "make a U-turn immediately" as he drove along lost on the autoroute near the town of Nancy in search of a hotel.

He did so, not realising the limitations of his satellite navigation device, which guides using verbal directions.

"It's not the first time we've had a GPS incident," one of the officers said, recalling the time a police vehicle found itself face-to-face with a motorist going the wrong way in accordance with his computer's instructions.

2. VR6in

Poor/ Stupid old guy:rofl:

We use GPS when we make trips to New England for work and I absolutely love it. Nearly impossible to get lost if you know how to use them. Only thing is that you have to use a certain amount of common sense as well, you can't pull a U-turn into heavy traffic, lol.

3. John Doe

I think you can pretty much avoid GPS directions when they go against common sense.

Then again, I expect WAY too much common sense out of people...

4. shawnmcw

no i am not a noob

hehe! old dude + lost + GPS in car = :wiggin:

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I want GPS in my car... would come in handy travelling with work.

6. John Doe

Check into the Garmin (Garamin?) and Magellan units.. removable but w/ color maps and GPS locating.

BEEYOTCH!

7. VR6in

Magellan is the brand the we get in our rental cars, I'd highly reccomend them. Very easy to use, very accurate, great options and a great display.

8. John Doe

I'm pretty sure they are very close to the same unit, they look nearly identical... I think the Garmin is like the US brand or something b/c I see the Magellan in the UK car mags I read all the time and it looks just like my boss' Garamin unit.

Fuck I don't know how to spell that

9. John Doe

10. VR6in

The best part is that fact that it not only shows you, but tells you. So when you are 2 miles from your next exit, it tells you so that you are prepared. It also prevents you from constantly looking at the screen while your driving. They give tons of information too, everything from the highway that you're on, the direction your travelling, how far from the destination, how far from the next exit, the exit number and the name of the next highway.......I love them. We've driven from Logan airport, north to Maine then to Conn. and then back to the airport. We went through the country, small towns, you name it and we didn't make one wrong turn.

11. John Doe

They are kind of expensive, but still far less than any of the built-in systems in cars these days and seemingly just as well equipped.

NOt to mention, you can put it in any car you need at any time (very handy!)