amd or intel?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 91bluecivic, Mar 22, 2004.

1. 91bluecivic

alright well i'm looking at building a new system, not sure what i want to do, i was first thinking the p4 3.0gig 800mhz fsb, then my buddy has talked me in to maybe going with amd, the 2500 333fsb :(, but overclocking them to 3200 easily with no worries. Not sure about the amd processors, any feed back on this would be great. My main issue here is weather to go the intel route or amd.

thanks

2. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

My first couple of computers were Intel,then I got my first AMD and I haven't turned back.You can't beat the performance for the price.If you are gonna spend 300 bucks on an Intel processor then you might as well spend 300 on an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ but personally I would go with the 2500+.I am actually buying one next week.

3. Foster

Toolboard

:werd:

4. LIVNLRG

I'm Famous

i would get ther 3200 over the 2500

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I just bought an Athlon XP 2700+ (2.16 Ghz)

The Athlon XP 3200+ is twice the price of the 2700+ .. the gains do not justify the price.. It's definetly not twice as fast..

6. Xtreme989

AMD all the way....I had a bunch of intel processors in all of my previous systems...have never had a system work like my AMD 1800

7. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

The 3200 would be nice but it isn't really that overclockable.I can get a XP 2500 for 122 + tax and easily overclock it to the speeds of a 3200.In turn I just saved the money it would cost for a good motherboard .

8. Foster

Toolboard

do you even know anything about overclocking computers???

9. Shafft

RC-OG

the only intel chip I owned was a 486 DX 33

AMD rocks now.... just got a 2700+ as well with an ABIT NF7-S motherboard and MAN does it rock.

10. Burnsie

.:\'.'/:.

im rockin a 2500+ on a nforce2 board, works great.... Last intel i had was a PII400 on an asus P2B (still works awsome).... I have 3 amd's running now (1800,2000,2500) no compalaints about any of them!

11. Shafft

RC-OG

Nforce ROCKS

12. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

As a matter of fact I do. Do you ?

13. John Doe

I wish I could express in words how much I hate AMD and thier product.

The company SUCKS, the product SUCKS, and everything about them SUCKS. No way in hell I'd own anything with any AMD in it ever ever ever ever ever ever ever again in my entire natural life. EVER.

14. Lowvez

I have the Barton 2500+ Core overclocked to 3200+...all i had to do was bump the FSB up to 200MHz (400DDR)...it is multiplier locked so if i want to increase it i have to pump the FSB up more...but i don't want to do that because i had a bed experience with it before...i have watercooling on the chip, but i'm sure you could pump it up and be safe with a good heatsink fan...the stock one might even be able to handle it but i wouldn't try it just because...also, make sure you have good case cooling...you probably already know this, but i just don't want people going "lowvez said i could pump it up but now it's blown" kinda things.

get the 2500+ and pump it up...you won't be sorry...nForce2 rules...but do you have SATA onboard and RAID on board?? best upgrade i ever made!

15. Jake

:werd:

I actually just picked up a 2500+ last week, works great.

16. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

Too bad you didn't wait until this week. www.greenlyph.com has them on sale for 112.22 . I hope he still has the sale on next week when I pick up mine.Although I may try to find a pre-week 30 cpu used that has the unlocked multiplier. But for that cheap of a price I may just go new.

17. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

I actually know a couple of people running 2500+'s with the stock heatsink and fan and they are OC'd to 3200 and run fairly good temps,below 40 degrees.They do have good case cooling though.I don't think I will have any problems with heat when I get mine.I have a Volcano 9 heatsink and fan,3 80 mm intake fans,2 80 mm exhaust fans,1 92mm intake plus the fan in my PSU.I haven't seen the temp of my current XP 1900+ go above 34 degrees even after gaming for a coupel of hours.This cpu is a Palomino also,they heta up like a bitch.

As for motherboards,I have a Gigabyte GA7-VT600-p-l. It has a VIA chipset ,the only option this board does not have is Dual channel ram capability.It is capable of taking 3 gigs of ram so I don't even think I would ever need dual channel anyway.I don't even "need" to upgrade to another CPU I just want to.You know how it is.

18. Shafft

RC-OG

an opinion like that is void unless you explain..

19. John Doe

A lot of it is quite a long story, but we'll say this: I have had some very intricate business dealings with AMD over the years. When I was a VP of a small computer company we built all the systems that they used as workstations in fabs 25 and 30 (Austin and Dresden). They had very shady business practices and treated THIER employees very poorly, not to mention those of us doing contract work for them....

...they are also notorious for stealing designs, reverse-engineering, and being outright shitty as a business.

Then there's what they did to my dad, he was a "Senior Fellow" there which is pretty high up and has tenure, but they turned on him when he didn't agree with them on process implementation.

He's now vice-chair of the SDC (Semicondoctor Development Corporation) and VP of R&D at LSI logic, has over 120 patents in his name for semicondoctor manufacturing processes that AMD uses and pays for... so they basically used him as a scapegoat because the process was too expensive and they didn't get the yield they wanted when they DIDN'T use it like he told them, and he's gone on to prove his credibility well beyond what AMD as a company could ever hope to gain.

There's a ton more, but suffice it to say they are a SHIT company.

20. Cody

Anyone that's worked as a hardware tech on the K series chips (ie K5, K6 etc) will harbour a deep dark hatred for AMD. I was head tech at a shop from 1996-2000 and AMD was nothing but ASS the whole time. Such a poor product and everything had to be patched or otherwise fucked with to work with it. Where as intel just worked 99.99 percent of the time. Because of those years of abuse I rank AMD right up there with Cyrix or IDT Winchip.

I mean, who makes a chip that doesn't shut off from thermal overload until it's already ruined? Pentiums will go into thermal shutdown almost instantly, it's VERY hard to actually cook an intel as long as your aren't driving the vcore above spec etc. We used to regularly get AMD's back that were discolored due to extreme heat because someone's kid decided to try overclocking their K6.

I have an AMD in my new laptop but that's just because it was given to me, if I had to choose I'd get an intel. AMD might sometimes be pushing the edge as far as performance, but they also push the edge as far as CPU temps and reliability. A chip that idles at 45-50 degrees C can't be considered reliable, thermal migration's a bitch.

21. Shafft

RC-OG

All that thermal protection is in the mb now anyways... so they run hotter clock for clock they are out performing intel..

my watercooled system runs about 42C at 100% usage.. and it was about the same with my 3dcool supercooler before that as well.

22. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

I agree.My XP 1900+ has never even hit 40 degrees and I do not run water cooling.For me,AMD is what I want and what I prefer. I keep my rig cool though,even after looping 3Dmark 2001 for 4 hours I don't even see 40 degree CPU temps. My wifes computer on the other hand with an old Duron 850 runs at 50 degrees all the time,I'm working on it though

23. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

My 2700+ barely breaks 40 C under hard processing

24. Jake

I think it was like $112, but with tax, etc it came to roughly 127 or something....from Greenlyph.

25. Jake

What are you running for cooling?

26. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

I've heard the newer processors are better temperature wise.Mine is a Palomino core 1900+ though,they heat alot more then even the thorou8ghbred core cpu's do.I am hoping my temps will be as good as they are now when I get my 2500+.

27. Jake

My temp dropped about 6 degrees when i went from my 1Ghz amd to the 2500+....with identical heatsink/fan.

28. Cody

Unless the heatsink falls off, then you get this:

www.sysop.ca/shared/THG_CPU_Cooling.avi

:lol:

Granted these are older models. The newer models still don't have overload protection but the new motherboards do. Something tells me that even though the new mobos have a thermal overload feature it won't be able to react fast enough to save the chip unless the sensor is directly on the core. If the sensor is located under the chip the core will fry before the sensor even notices due to the layer of silicon and the air gap. I think these motherboard thermal overload sensors are there mostly to prevent failure due to the fan stopping, not the heatsink popping off.

Anyway, it's a trivial matter, I just don't like AMD because they are more cutting edge and more hassle for poeple like me. Good old intels, although ever so slightly slower, are more reliable and generally less hassle. This is why AMD is popular with the gamer and rarely seen in the enterprise desktop/server.

29. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Well on the bright side, if it burns up, you still have enough money left to go pick up a new one :D

hondasport2000 - I have a fan that could move a 747 :lol:

30. Lowvez

I have a swiftech watercooling kit on the CPU only, and i have 2 Vantec Tornado's (aka The Hair Dryer, 85CFM @ 6000RPM) exhaust case fans, and with an ambient temperature of around 25C my CPU is at around 35Celcius under full load and under 30C idle. Keep in mind that it is also overclocked to 3200+ Specs making it run at 200MHz FSB and 2.210GHz Core. And the vCore voltage also had to go up a bit.

I have never had any problems at all with anything having to do with AMD and my Barton 2500+ has no problem keeping up.

31. Shafft

RC-OG

Well I experienced this first hand last night.. my pc as just all of a sudden shutting off.. i was like WTF this thing is brand new...

so i thought to check the cooling and there must have been an air bubble in the CPU water block cause it was fucking HOT. flick here flick there.. and presto.. back to 40C.

thank god for thermal protection .. :D

32. Cody

Cool beans. :D

33. Shafft

RC-OG

yip.. i have it set up to shut down at 75C.... it's supposed to give me a warning at 70 but i have the PC speaker yanked so.. oh well.. it served it's purpose.

34. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

Your brave,I am so paranoid I have it set at 65.Although I never get anywhere near there so it won't effect me in a normal situation . ie: playing games or whatever.
    Glad it saved you man.I would be seriously upset to come home and find my computer toasted.

35. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

smart man.
    check the stepping on it tho...anything after week ..i think it's 39 has a locked multiplier.....

the 2500's are AMAZING oc'ers....mmm..i have mine running at 200x12 all day long every day stable under prime 95..the barton core likes it's heat tho..so defo get a nice heatsink/fan, not the thing that comes with it.
    what mobo you gonna pick up?