Breaking News Active shooter in Portapique/Glenholme

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by C. Mike Hunt, Apr 19, 2020.

1. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I can compare Canada to Australia. :)

I'll stop, though. I'm an advocate of "no guns is better" and stricter enforcement on who can get one. For example, I'm fine with someone (sane) being able to get a gun they need to go hunting. I'm not in favor of someone being able to get a gun for recreational purposes.

Wayne likes this.
  2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I can see the argument for that... but this covid-19 thing has brought to light how important owning a firearm would be should our society destabilize fully. I'm not talking for protection either, I'm talking about having a firearm on hand to be able to hunt food if it's no longer available at the grocery store. Our little system we have setup here is extremely fragile :/

3. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

That's complete tin-foil hat territory, Boots. LOL

Wayne likes this.
  4. 17

teenage dirtbag

[​IMG]

you should give this a read, i started the 2nd book in the trilogy yesterday. it really shows how fragile society is.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'll check it out. I'm not going full prepper but I'm definitely putting some effort into being prepared for things breaking down. We are walking a fine line and covid highlighted that big time.

tribeachpunk likes this.
  6. never_be_sold

I used to think the same thing, but a couple years ago I bought a compound bow for recreational purposes. I have zero desire to hunt, but shooting is a great pass time. It’s challenging, fun, and a couldn’t imagine being told I can only do it for hunting reasons.

I’m sure a lot of gun owners feel the same way.

ouird, boing, tribeachpunk and 2 others like this.
  7. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia-killer-fake-cruiser-1.5543176

Nova Scotia gunman didn't hide his fake RCMP cruiser — even from police, says former boss

The man police say killed 22 people in Nova Scotia last weekend made no secret of his quest to build a near-perfect, highly detailed replica of an RCMP cruiser, according to those who knew him.

"He created the car," said Donald Walker, a Dartmouth, N.S., funeral director who employed the suspected gunman years ago, and remained on friendly terms. "He didn't walk up to the auction and there was an RCMP car already decked out like that.

"Most of us thought it was all a bit of a hobby, not something that would lead to this kind of situation."

Walker says Gabriel Wortman, a 51-year-old denturist, pulled out his cellphone on one of the last occasions that they saw each other — either late last summer, or in early fall — and proudly shared pictures of an authentic-looking, marked RCMP cruiser.

Walker's understanding is that Wortman purchased the then stripped-down surplus police car from a government auction site and then went about restoring it, going as far as to have all the appropriate RCMP decals made by a graphics company.

And Walker says the police were apparently aware of what Wortman was doing.

"He said that he had talked to the police," the funeral director said. "That they suggested to him, if he was going to take it to car shows, that he not drive it on the road, but take it by trailer."

<snip>

CBC News spoke with two mechanics who regularly work on RCMP vehicles. Both asked not to be named in order to protect their business relationship with the force. Based on photos of Wortman's cruiser, they said it was a near-perfect replica, and would have been next to impossible for a member of the public to sniff out as a fake.

However, both pointed to the positioning, and type, of radio antenna on the rear of the car as being incorrect. And they said the lights on the top of the cruiser, and bars between the front and rear seat, were not standard RCMP issue.

But some details were almost too good. One of the mechanics said the detailing, cutting and placement of the RCMP decals were letter-perfect, suggesting Wortman had sought help from someone who regularly kitted out the force's vehicles.

It's a point that others who know policing have been raising as well.

Michael Arntfield, a former detective who now teaches criminology at Western University, wonders if a professional assisted Wortman.

"These stripe/strike packages, as they're known, are laser measured. They're done by third party vendors who have all the specifications," he told the CBC.

"What questions were asked as to why he was doing this? What was the purpose of this? Did he hold himself out as a police officer when he had this done?" Arntfield asked. "These are questions, I think, that should be answered sooner than later."

The RCMP did not answer media questions on Thursday, but in his Wednesday briefing Chief Supt. Leather said determining just how Wortman obtained his replica vehicle, and apparently authentic uniform, is a "key element" in the investigation.

8. Grifter

Bluh?

This.

I'm a hunter. But I love going to the range and blow off some steam.

I'm of the mentality that I don't buy any guns I couldn't hunt with. Don't see the need for ak47 and m16/Ar15 replicas. I would have no issues if those were to get banned.

It's pretty cathartic to go to the range and fire off some rounds at a Target and when that Target gets out past a couple hundred yards and you can still get a nice grouping or tag the bullseye it's a pretty rewarding accomplishment.

9. Grifter

Bluh?

There was a good two week window where we could get ZERO beef here at the stores. Chicken is only satisfying for so long. Then there was a week where we couldnt get any of that. Pretty glad I have some deer and moose in the freezer.

10. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I've just been going out in my neighborhood and shooting random dogs and cats for dinner. It's pretty rewarding.

11. Grifter

Bluh?

Trying to start Covid 20 are we?

Top Gun likes this.
  12. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

So it's out now that this all started after an argument with his girlfriend. She managed to escape and hid in the woods all night while he went on his rampage :(

13. Grifter

Bluh?

Wow. Just....wow.

14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

They are detailing what unfolded here

15. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

what a fucking monster.. jesus

16. 17

teenage dirtbag

Poodles taste great wth bbq sauce

17. tribeachpunk

The US being a 'free for all' makes the smuggling of illegal firearms into Canada a hell of a lot easier and convenient for criminals considering we sit on their border.

If Canada were an island surrounded by the Indian and Pacific oceans, somewhere not on the border of a gigantic country with a huge arms industry and an enshrined right to bear arms, I'm sure a lot of things would be different...

I haven't had time to watch this morning's briefing yet, have they determined the origin of his firearms yet?

18. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

At least one firearm originated in Canada and at least two originated from the USA. All illegal obviously and the investigation is continuing.

19. tribeachpunk

Not the least bit surprised... Did that come out earlier today?

20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Was in the press conference I linked above. He could have more firearms in his home but it was burnt to the ground so it'll take time to dig through it.

21. tribeachpunk

Gonna give it a watch end to end tonight..

I wouldn't doubt the two smuggled firearms are something like S&W's 5900 series... something legal in the USA, but prohibited in Canada, although used by RCMP and probably other LE.. If guy was obsessed with the police and their wares, police issue guns would be right up his alley.

22. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

He did take the service pistol and ammunition from the police officer he killed as well :(

23. tribeachpunk

I wonder, is that the one of the three firearms discussed, potentially the 1/3 that originated in Canada..?

24. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Not sure on that one

25. LMAC

_

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  26. C. Mike Hunt

Meanwhile in Dartmouth...

27. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Gotta remember that any bang in the next month is going to make people flip their wigs

28. C. Mike Hunt

29. KLD

KLD

There are rumours spreading like wildfire online right of many more places locked down and evacuated...who knows what's going on, it's really hard to tell with social media what's accurate. I'm hoping that a lot of this just precautionary and that no one is hurt/will get hurt.

30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

See this is a mess... the police are going to use the alert system without thinking twice now because of all the heat they've been taking... and people are going to be on edge with the recent violence... let's hope this is nothing.

Grifter and tribeachpunk like this.
  31. Scott

rawr

I have no issues them using it for something like a shooter/weapons complaint when they need/want people to be inside.

32. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Does anyone know what's going on? I've heard cops all over the place from Dartmouth Crossing, over Magazine Hill, in Bedford, out in Hammonds Plains, and a pickup pulled over on the highway near Sackville - cops with guns out.

33. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

According to social media there is an active shooter in about a dozen different locations right now

34. Scott

rawr

35. Scott

rawr

that was the Cdn tire incident