Breaking News Active shooter in Portapique/Glenholme

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by C. Mike Hunt, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I'd be willing to bet there and hundreds if not thousands of people in Canada with police and military uniforms at home who aren't associated with the service. They could be collectors or they could have made them themselves. If someone can make a fiero look like a Ferrari, someone can make police uniform. All of that will come out during the investigation.

2. tribeachpunk

Hey now, I didn't make it part of any agenda.. I turn on the TV and the Prime Minister is talking about it so whether I like it or not, it's been made an agenda item...

I would be extremely happy if it wasn't made part of a firearms agenda by people for or against them, now certainly isn't the time..

Grifter likes this.
  3. tribeachpunk

I've seen a ton of uniforms come and go and not a stitch of RCMP gear.. I don't doubt it's out there, just not common.. Can't be or I'd have people trying to sell it to me, and that's never happened.

4. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

They haven't verified that it was authentic or not. The amount of information floating around that is completely incorrect is unbelievable. Think about when they announced he was in custody. That got translated to him being under arrest which translated into him being taken alive. Then there was a big Twitter uproar that if he was black he would have been dead. All the while he actually was. There's a million agendas trying to be pushed here and right now the only focus of the general public should have right now is remembering those killed. Once the experts figure out the how's and why's then we can work on getting our shit back together.

5. tribeachpunk

No disagreement here!

That whole "in custody" thing sure threw a lot of people for a loop.. Hard way to learn custody doesn't always mean the back of a police car.

6. 17

teenage dirtbag

The RCMP said it was an “authentic uniform”

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

What are your thoughts on them using Twitter instead of mobile alerts to notify people this guy was on the loose? Seems like in hindsight, mobile alerts would have been more effective. I don't use Twitter and I'm sure the majority of Nova Scotians don't either.

8. C. Mike Hunt

Especially in a rural area where population tends to be older. Someone dropped the ball there.

9. C. Mike Hunt

10. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

11. LMAC

_

WAS NS using the mobile alerts to tell people to stay home, it seems Ont us using the alerts any chance they get.

12. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

they sent one out before the easter weekend to tell people to stay put

13. LMAC

_

Kinda what i thought, but where there is a will there is a way i guess .

14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

15. tribeachpunk

Huge ball dropped there. That alert may have saved many lives..
    All the people who went to see what the fuss was about next door, the people who were moving about the area travelling to/from work, that alert could have had them taking cover somewhere safe..

16. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Agreed. Hell, the guy in the article I linked above said his wife wouldn't have gone out for her walk if they knew it was an active situation

17. Lex Lucas

feels good.

I agree... someone messed up there.
    I remember seeing some twitter stuff Sunday morning when information was scarce on what was going on, and didn't think much of it severity wise. Thought to myself if there really was a huge risk, we would have received an alert.

18. chainsaw

As I'm reading this I remember a store in Vancouver that had RCMP paraphernalia from last summer. If I remember right it was heading down toward the gastown area. I remember seeing a whole lot of badges, crests etc that you could purchase. The whole store was just RCMP, but can't remember if they had uniforms

19. BlackFire

Professional napper

I had heard that Gina Goulet was the shooters ex-wife and that she had left him for a RCMP officer and that was where he had obtained the uniform. I don't know if there is any truth to this.

20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I read an article about Gina Goulet's dogs being shot along with her. The article interviewed a personal friend of Ms. Goulet and in the article she said "“I don’t know of any personal connection,” McMullen said. “If there was a personal connection, it was never a big enough connection for her to mention him to me.”

So I think you're just hearing facebook level news on that one.

21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

22. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

RCMP say he didn't have a legal firearms license. Be interesting to know where he got the firearms.

23. 17

teenage dirtbag

24. tribeachpunk

Super bizarre.. Can't wait to hear how it's explained away..

This comes as some relief. I'm happy to have as little in common with guy as possible.
    Not sure it will stop what's coming for additional controls on, and prohibition of, legally owned firearms though.

Chief Supt. Leather kept referring to it as an FAC, which hasn't been a thing for a long time..
    Kinda has me wondering did guy have a PAL? Or is Leather just using retro terminology to describe the modern PAL?
    Sounds though like FAC or PAL, guy didn't have a license.

25. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Read in the Globe and Mail this morning that the shooter did have a list of people he was targeting. They interviewed a guy who RCMP told was 8th on the list :eek3:

26. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...-shooter-acted-alone-during-rampage-rcmp-say/

copy/paste for non subscribers

27. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

the shit storm of new gun control laws has now started.
    Meanwhile, Americans are wondering how this could have happened here with the gun control we have in place already.
    It doesn't matter how much gun control or lack of gun control there is. The gun lovers will ALWAYS find a way to get their guns

tribeachpunk likes this.
  28. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

No matter what, you can't 100% stop all crime no matter how many laws or rules you put you in place. Sometimes you just gotta say 'this is terrible, it's too bad it couldn't have been prevented' :(

Grifter likes this.
  29. LMAC

_

30. Gooch

Have they given the name of his ex-wife and her new boyfriend yet?

31. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

This isn't directed at anyone here but if people spent half the time they spend on trying to find someone still alive to blame, on trying to bring some good back into the areas affected it would have a much bigger impact. Instead of writing a comment on a CBC article, write a letter to one of the families that lost someone. Instead of worry what's going to happen about your guns, worry about what's going to happen to someone's home that was burned down, and instead of worrying how the gunman was able to continue for 12 hours, worry about how the families will continue for the rest of their lives. Those are all things that we can have an immediate and positive impact on and will truly make a difference.

Just my thoughts.

Wayne likes this.
  32. Grifter

Bluh?

What you're saying isn't wrong. It's just a tad biased... People have different perspectives on things. People react to situations in different ways.

People are allowed to be pissed that the emergency alert didn't go out as they feel it should have. People are allowed to be upset that "the cops didn't get there soon enough". People are allowed to be upset that "they want to take my guns". This is a huge event that will echo across the board.

Telling them to direct their energy to those that lost people in this event, or lost homes, etc. While Noble and in my opinion fair, can be misdirected. People deal with grief in many ways. What works for you, or me, may not work for others.

I get the point you're trying to make, but folks aren't necessarily in the wrong because of how they choose to react to this. Shit happens. Sometimes terrible shit happens. Just because people aren't behaving how you like RIGHT NOW doesn't mean the situation is going to get worse. It's how we move forward that matters. It's how we learn from this and how we pick ourselves up. Give it time. Let people blow off some steam before you go judging them or telling them they are wrong.

Just my .02...

33. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Trying to stay out of this but this is the attitude the US takes towards gun control - the numbers here don't lie. Without any real gun control, the mass shootings will be higher. Look at Australia for other numbers around what gun control can accomplish.

So, yes, crime will always happen, but there are measures that can be taken so that the number of those issues can be drastically reduced.

Relevant with COVID: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/corona...out-school-shooting-since-2002-united-states/

34. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You can't really compare Canada to the US though. We already have pretty stringent gun laws here in Canada vs the US kind of being a free for all.

Edit: first march since 2002 without a school shooting is BONKERS

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Grifter likes this.
  35. Grifter

Bluh?

The fact the guy was in possession of firearms ILLEGALLY should negate the discussion around gun control.

tribeachpunk likes this.