Breaking News Active shooter in Portapique/Glenholme

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by C. Mike Hunt, Apr 19, 2020.

1. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/rcmp-weapon-lockdown-portapique-1.5537598

N.S. police warn active shooter may be driving what looks like RCMP vehicle, wearing uniform

Nova Scotia RCMP have identified the active shooter in the rural community of Portapique, N.S., as 51-year-old Gabriel Wortman.

Police say there are multiple victims but would not say Sunday morning how many people were either injured or killed.

Police said Sunday Wortman may be driving what appears to be an RCMP vehicle and may be wearing an RCMP uniform.

"There's 1 difference btwn his car and our RCMP vehicles: the car #. The suspect's car is 28B11, behind rear passenger window. If you see 28B11 call 911 immediately," Nova Scotia RCMP tweeted.

2. Wayne

Scary...

3. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Well this is a weird one. He's apparently in a silver SUV right now

4. C. Mike Hunt

Boots likes this.
  5. Grifter

Bluh?

Glad they got him. Scary stuff to wake up to. By having a car like that, id think he's had this planned for awhile.

6. KLD

KLD

Apparently he was apprehended at the Big Stop in Enfield....just down the street from me. Too close for comfort! I'm hoping that those injured have a speedy recovery.

7. C. Mike Hunt

https://globalnews.ca/news/6838880/rcmp-active-shooter-portapique-n-s

Multiple people dead, including one RCMP officer, after shooting spree in Portapique, N.S.

Multiple people, including one member of the RCMP, are dead after a shooting rampage in a community in rural Nova Scotia on Sunday.

Gabriel Wortman, 51, is believed to be the primary suspect in the shooting spree that occurred in and around the area of Portapique, N.S.

Multiple sources told Global News that Wortman is dead. A body matching the description of Wortman was seen at the Enfield Big Stop on Highway 102.

Details on the number of dead have not been released at this time. The Mounties are set to provide more information at a press conference at 6 p.m. AT.

Sources have confirmed that another RCMP officer was shot and injured in the incident.

8. 17

teenage dirtbag

I saw that pic, figured he was dead. Looks like his arm was broken too

9. C. Mike Hunt

[​IMG]
    Cst. Heidi Stevenson in 2015, photo from RCMP NS Facebook

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

At least 10 dead. Damn

11. Grifter

Bluh?

Just saw it on the news out here. They said it was a shootout at the big stop and Wortman was killed. Saw images go two burnt RCMP vehicles and they said they have no idea yet how many he killed as they are still finding victims.

12. C. Mike Hunt

13. C. Mike Hunt

14. maniac

It's been a rough time around here lately. RIP to all those murdered today.

15. LMAC

_

I ready today he was dressed in uniform knocking on doors killing people, then pulling them over and shooting them.. thats just fucking evil

16. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

19 people so far :(

17. 17

teenage dirtbag

I want to know how he got the RCMP decals. They were reflective and looked super legit in the pics, is this something someone can easily get online?

18. Matt30

Now, I don’t want to spread any false information. But I talked to someone today who allegedly knows someone who knew a little bit about this guy and apparently he had a hobby of buying/selling old cop cars. So maybe he was able to stencil it or he nailed down the design and made it himself?

19. Grifter

Bluh?

I read an article today that confirmed that he has bought multiple police vehicles Matt.

20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Again speculation but there was talk he bought them at auction.

21. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Heart breaking watching my Facebook news feed - I grew up in Truro so a lot of the victims went through the same schools I did and a lot of my friends from those school days are friends with the victims. It's crazy seeing just how random some of the killings were.

22. 17

teenage dirtbag

Getting your hands on a decommissioned cop car isn’t hard. Anyone can buy them. I don’t even think the lighting is hard to get, but you think the decals would be difficult to source. And they definitely don’t leave them on when they get sent to auction.

PottiePottie where do cop car decals come from?

chainsaw likes this.
  23. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

You could cut them on a cricut if you really wanted to, or get any of a hundred sign makers to cut them. It's a licensed logo but other than that it's just like making one for your favorite sports team.

24. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I went through school with one of the victims - elementary through high school. I don't really remember him to be honest - I even pulled up my high school yearbook but, man... scary. And the stories flooding my Facebook feed about him are just incredibly sad.

25. tribeachpunk

and then burning the houses down.... Pretty disgusting..

26. Matt30

Just read the list of some of the victims and was very shocked to see the name of a customer of mine. It just made things even more real. Such a shame :(

27. LMAC

_

and the uniform.. are those that easy to get? do they get shipped to an army navy store?

tribeachpunk likes this.
  28. Pottie

Yeah I mean, I'm not sure if we will hear many details about the car. But anyone can cut the decals if they have the design/size etc.

I can't imagine that anyone with the capability to cut decals wouldn't be suspicious of someone asking for exact RCMP cruiser replica design, complete with a specific vehicle call sign.

When I built RCMP cars, decals were sent to us in a package, but there always ended up being some extra odds and ends laying around.

I'll tell you, installing the decals was the part of building a car that I dreaded the most, what a pain.

tribeachpunk likes this.
  29. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

This is incredibly easy to Monday quarterback but the last thing anybody would think is that this would be the result, the very last thing. I'm sure they will determine how he got them, and if it came from a professional sign maker they will know what the explanation given was. In my opinion those details are not important to the general public. People will always figure out new ways to take lives. We should be more focused on remembering the lives lost.

boing and tribeachpunk like this.
  30. Scott

rawr

Im kinda surprised we havent heard more about what kind of firearms he used. Always seems like a hot topic.

tribeachpunk likes this.
  31. tribeachpunk

I can count on one hand how many pieces of RCMP kit I've seen. Next to none. Never any uniforms or even pieces of uniforms..

I've never seen the guy before his photo was everywhere yesterday.

We know where his car came from, the federal government sold it to him. Without decals. Without lights.
    The uniform... I've seen photos of him the the red surge.. or serge..? Was he wearing that to do all of this? Or was it a regular duty uniform?
    Either way, if that stuff was legit, a member could have provided it, or guy could have stolen it.. I can't imagine where else it would come from.

Yeah, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what and how they were obtained. Legal or not. The RCMP certainly know whether legal or not, they just aren't sharing it yet.
    Spoke to a reporter asking same question. The media, at least the outlet I spoke to, have no idea what or how yet.

We should assume he used an "aSsAuLt rIfLe" though given all the grave dancers who are already out in full force trying to ban semi auto rifles again...

chainsaw likes this.
  32. tribeachpunk

Steve Murphy on the news earlier talked about his 2003 assault conviction where he was fined and given a firearms ban..... a 9 month firearm ban.

That conviction and ban should make getting a Possession and Acquisition License for a restricted firearm fairly difficult.
    I'm under the impression someone with that on their criminal record would need a face to face interview with the CFO before they'd even consider granting the license.
    Even with a pardon, I'd still expect an interview..

33. C. Mike Hunt

I would assume the latter; if he were wearing serge it probably would have been mentioned at the time (as opposed to "wearing a police uniform").

34. tribeachpunk

Yeah, you have to assume it was a regular duty uniform.. Just that I'd only seen him dressed up in the serge, so we know he had that..
    if he was running around in a uniform that wasn't it, he's got, err had, more than one uniform..

35. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

For the love of God, the people aren't even buried yet, don't make this part of a firearms agenda just yet please. Your fucking right they are wanting a ban. It's an impulse reaction to 20+ people getting killed. As much as I love shooting, if someone from my family was on that list, I'd give up just about every right I have to get them back. People are emotional right now. Take the high road.
    And about the car, the picture shown on the news still has the new vehicle information sticker on the side window. So did it come from the auction or did he just order a white car? Who knows, who cares. It doesn't change anything.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020