$700 fine for jaywalking

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Scott, Dec 9, 2015.

?

Is the $700 fine too much?

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

58.3%
  3. Doesn't really matter to me

11.1%
  4. Boots is a handsome devil

19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

That's cool. Never heard of it before.

2. Duggan

3. slouse

I believe the Calgary +15 is the world's largest pedway system. Kinda detracts from street life though

4. J0e Th0rnton

Agreed. As a driver and pedestrian, I see a lot of stupid shit on both sides. but it definitely has been getting worse Pedestrian wise in the last few years. The sense of entitlement they have is ridiculous.

This morning on the way to work, a dumbass was walking right up to the crosswalk, so I slowed down. Then she turned around to finish her conversation with her friend instead of crossing for about 3 full seconds, so I started going again assuming she was not going to cross right then, then she started walking backwards into the street so I had to quickly hit the breaks and she proceeded to give me the stink eye like it is her right to stop to have a conversation in that limbo area where you are not sure they are crossing or not.

And I can usually think of one case like that to or from work at least 4 days a week.

The worst are on rainy days. I swear pedestrians think you still have perfect visibility when it is dark and rainy and that they can just walk out of nowhere in dark clothes without stopping to see if the car sees them.

Yeah the onus is on me as a driver to keep pedestrians in mind. But I also have to keep in mind the arsehole tailgating me, the car that decides to try to beat you with almost no room even when you have the right of way, the guy not checking his blind spot or using his signal light. You are watching and focusing on 100 times more things when driving than a Pedestrian.

And I swear to god I hear more people bitching about this fine than I do people worried they might get seriously hurt.

I wonder how much of it is because the likelyhood a Canadian driver will stop and call 911.
    In a lot of the USA, the driver will just hit you and keep going completely not giving a shit and knowing you are not getting their plate quick enough(And they would just deny it and have an alibi if you do happen to get it)

I swear people think they are going to arbitrarily give fines for crossing at night when no cars are around and for still being in the middle of the road when the hand sign comes on.

The people complaining are the.......
    "Waaah. I didn't hit the button in time and now I have to wait a whole minute for the light to change again. My day is ruined"

This.

5. Smokey

I saw his rebuttal, and he claims he was not a dick until after he received the ticket. Normally I wouldn't believe it, but the enforcement in Beaumont is absolutely ridiculous.

I got pulled over by windermere Home Depot last week for completely blowing a red light, had my papers ready, was polite, apologized and admitted I blew the light and she let me off, that never would have happened in Beaumont

6. Cooper

FTP

You must have missed his original.

I haven't found them that bad, but I also make sure I don't break any laws there because everyone says they're so bad :lol:

7. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

i got one when i was surfing kijiji on my phone. well deserved. and paid.

8. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

File Transfer Protocol. Durr!

9. C. Mike Hunt

Yeah, that's about the size of it.

10. Cooper

FTP

Well if they arent going to advocate for their own safety, someone has to step in.

11. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

We elect people to advocate for our safety. I just think, in this case, the elected officials are not doing the right things. I base this partly on my own disagreement with the fine, but also past legislations and action on safe cycling and walking/running in the city/province.

12. Cooper

FTP

So, I live out in the county where walking or cycling places isn't practical or really possible.

Can you tell me what you need from the city in regards to legislation for safe cycling and walking? Honestly, I have no idea. Maybe I'll better understand your side if I know more

13. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

If you live out in the country, you should be cycling all the time! :)

Halifax is a city that grew up from really a large town and is now finally actually a city. They haven't improved the infrastructure to match that reality - protected bike lanes, better traffic enforcement, etc etc.

I'm actually in a rush right now and will hopefully post a better answer later. There is a bunch of history on this - bike lanes built (improperly and ineffectively), etc etc. If you're active at all in Halifax, it is not a great city for being active when it comes to infrastructure.

14. cohiba

I think $700 is excessive, $200 would have done the trick. I'm happy about the fine though, I can't count how many times I've slammed my brakes for pedestrians popping out of nowhere or not looking and just walking like I have the ability to stop with as little notice as possible.

15. Cooper

FTP

Cycling yes, but not as transportation. It's 50kms to the city ;)

Should every street have a bike lane?

16. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Only if they have a bylaw that outlaws bicycling outfits :rofl:

17. C. Mike Hunt

18. Cooper

FTP

Perfect. A 292 page document. Thanks dude. Good read for later

19. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

50k is perfect!

20. Cooper

FTP

:hsugh: how so?

21. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

For the batshit crazy who cycle religiously, this would be true. I used to do 30k at 16 years old, granted that was a POS mountain bike. Rather go for a 10k walk or something on a trail these days.

Cooper likes this.
  22. NewMove

Pedestrians do not have the absolute right to jump into a crosswalk without looking. The responsibility is on both driver and pedestrian.

Signal is for the pedestrian = driver yields

Uncontrolled crosswalk = pedestrian looks and makes eye contact

Intersection with multiple signals = driver facing green looks where pedestrian is, yield according to rules

Pedestrian is busy staring into phone not paying attention and jumps into crosswalk = vehicle/pedestrian collision likely recorded on cam fault of pedestrian.

23. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Put me in the Batshit crazy group then! seriously, though - 50k is a bit much for a daily commute for most people (though, if I had the time for it, it would be awesome!). Recreationally, though, country biking in a lot of areas is fantastic if the roads are in good shape and there is a decent paved shoulder. Even without the decent paved shoulder, if there isn't a lot of traffic, it's great.

City biking needs dedicated bike lanes to be really safe. In Halifax, it also needs people driving who aren't always going out of their way to make cyclists miserable.

24. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I think mixing bicycles and cars on the road will always be a problem. Cars and motorcycles don't even mix well.

Grifter and Smokey like this.
  25. C. Mike Hunt

CTRL-F, type 'pedestrian', hit enter a few times. Seriously, it's not that difficult.

Scott likes this.
  26. Cooper

FTP

I think your math is flawed.

I said 50km to the city, don't forget, I have to come home at night. Plus 10 more to the station, so 120km daily commute :hsugh:

With my bag, coat, steel toes, lunch, work gear, etc. plus I work 12 hour shifts.

Are you nuts?

27. Cooper

FTP

On mobile?

28. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

Too bad for you then, I suppose.

29. C. Mike Hunt

On Android, tap the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of the Adobe app and type 'pedestrian'.
    If you're an iFollower I can't help. Sorry about that.

30. Daliah

31. Wayne

Every effort and investment possible should be made by citizens and government to make biking, walking, rollerblading, ... whatever not fuel powered easier to do within cities. I do agree 99.9% of people aren't going to bike 50 kms to work, but within 5 kms I think a lot more people would if they felt safe.

Would love to see investment in this area.

[​IMG]

32. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I think, given our climate, commuter rail would be a better investment. You can't even bike most of the year here.

Grifter likes this.
  33. hank

I've been biking nearly every day since late April. Skipped today due to the rain and cold :lol:

34. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I just think more people are likely to use public transit vs bicycle lanes.

35. Wayne

I know there are a lot of bicyclists in Fredericton and there would be a lot more if it was safer for them. Luckily the Canada Trail helps with some of it.