1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 Series sales are down...

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Boots, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Boots

Boots
    [OP]
    www.reality-check.ca

2004 BMW 5-series

October 14, 2004

Description: Luxury midsize rear-wheel-drive sport sedan.

Price range: MSRPs run from $39,800 for straight-six 525i model to $58,300 for V8-powered 545i. All prices exclude destination charges.

Reality check: The best-selling model, the 530i, has a sticker price of $45,595 and actually sold for $44,055 in September, according to Edmunds.com. No incentives or rebates are available.

The numbers: BMW sold 32,617 5-series cars through the first three quarters of 2004, down from 35,867 for the same period last year. That's well below what the automaker would have hoped for with the technically sophisticated all-new model that went on sale about a year ago.

Bottom line: The 5-series has stumbled in a way uncharacteristic for a new BMW. Several factors might have contributed to its slow sales, including the new model's radical styling, its complicated iDrive control system and a parts problem that stalled shipments from the factory in Germany this summer.

The 5-series is far short of the kind of roaring success BMW expected when it replaced the car that was widely considered the best sport sedan in the world. However, it's too early to call the car a failure. BMW has yet to introduce the new 5-series station wagon, and the 500-horsepower V10-powered M5 super sedan is certain to draw fresh attention when it debuts next year.

looks like the "radical styling" change isn't all that effective!

2. Shafft

RC-OG

exactly.. the older styling was more appealing to what seems to be alot of people (pat not included)

maybe it's cause they didn't have german plates on the front

:lol:

3. John Doe

Thing is.. it's down by 3K units, and what you don't note is that the old model continually went UP in sales as it wore on which is totally uncharacteristic in the automotive market. You're comparing the best year of the last model, so to speak.

4. Redshift

I know it's unheard of for the press to show bias and all but, that article manages to leave out the key fact that the auto market is in the toilet right now.
    Canadian Sales (as an example) of the industry as a whole are down 10% with US and Global sales being down similarily.
    Now, I know different segments are down different amounts, but, as a general rule, if the market is down 10%, and your sales are down by less then 10%, then you are actually gaining market share, although your net sales are down.
    In this case my quick math shows that 5 series sales are down 10%, which would indicate that this disappointing new car is actually holding share in a declining market.

*Edit: Now, I can't be too much of a Pat-fan... personally I dislike the 5-series styling and I think iDrive is a solution looking for a problem.

5. John Doe

WTF? People have to be 'fans' of me to agree with obvious market trends now?

6. Redshift

Down boy. It was meant in a light-hearted manner.

7. John Doe

Ah. *sits.* *stays.* *licks self.*

8. Redshift

If you can lick your self, why would you ever spend time on the Internet? :)

9. John Doe

viewing material that excites me while I lick myself.

My monitor is behind me, you figure it out. ;)

10. Redshift

Of course.
    Makes perfect sense really when I think about it (which I'm trying very hard not to do).