1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

300 Km/h +

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by LMAC, Aug 30, 2004.

1. LMAC

LMAC
    [OP]
    _

2. Tony

Think Happy Thoughts!

Sweet Jesus! buddy was cruisin! didn't mind holdin it there either! what kinda car was that I wonder! sounded German!

3. LMAC

LMAC
    [OP]
    _

Im going to guess some benz do to the AMG

4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

definetly a benz

5. Shafft

RC-OG

didn't take fuckin long to get there either.

6. John Doe

That was awesome.

7. Evil_Jeanyus

Invisible mode

that's gotta be on the autobahn

8. mortician79

:o

9. BoOdOg

now that was impressive, and yes I agree must of been autobahn

10. frankster

coffee, the dark blood

Hitting top gear @ 270 WOW!! How much is one of those toys? Think I'll need and a casket incl. :evil:

11. Lex Lucas

feels good.

Wow, I would've thought things would go by faster at that speed.
    sweet vid

12. Snoopy

I wonder how fast you'd have to go before the dotted lines in the middle of the highway start to look solid. :D

13. Killercod

I got need for speed ! GOD DAMN !

14. Leviathan

It's all in your mind....

My speedo reads "300" and I'm so tempted to take it there just out of curiosity.

....but I'm a pussy bitch!

15. John Doe

GOT THAT RIGHT! :D

16. Leviathan

Fuck - I'm spooked at 220 for christ sakes! That's what you get from driving a Suzuki Sidekick for too many years (I once had that sumbyatch up to 150 and thought it was going to blow off the road).

17. Killercod

I was in my buddy integ once and we were up too about 240 km and i looked at him an ask what the rating was on his tires and when he said i dunno... i turned white and said slow down (turns out the good for like 180 km)

18. Leviathan

What are the speed ratings vs "letters"? I've always been curious if 300 klms is even safe on the tires I have. The P.O. said he did 300 in it, but I don't know if the tires are the same.

My tires are Toyo Proxey (sp?). 225/50/ZR16 in front and 245/45/ZR16 in back (why is the front a "225/50" and the back "245/45" - why are the back "45" vs "50" in the front? - I know NOTHING about tires).

19. SlickMack

Mr Mcinty

Wow, that looked NUTTY ! What happens if someone made a lane change from 2 to 1, hope he has amazing brakes.. anyone find out what the car was, it was pulling like a fiend.. hella fast though.

20. MK

MK
    Rollin Low

I'm going to guess thats the autobahn. Because the cars he was passing wernt going to slow either. including that 18 wheeler :ugh: :wtf:

21. pmachan

There is a tire-line to fit virtually,every driver/vehicle combination and need. There is a significant amount of overlap in different tire lines to satisfy these different combinations of needs. For example, there are All-Season/ Grip/ "S" Speed-rated/ Low Price tires; Touring/ Treadwear/ "H" Speed-rated/ High Price; All-Season/ Treadwear/ "T" Speed-rated/ Medium Price tires; Performance/ Grip/ "Z" Speed-rated/ High Price tires, etc. All designed to meet customer needs. Let's look at each of the considerations listed above in more detail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All-Season vs.Touring vs.Performance

All-Season tread designs will provide good all-around traction for varying road conditions such as Wet, Snow and Ice, but still provide good Treadwear & Tire Noise characteristics. Performance tread designs have been engineered to Enhance a vehicles Handling capabilities on wet and dry roads, but usually exhibit increased Tire Noise and Lack Long Treadwear Life. Performance tread designs usually have larger tread elements to provide a stiff tread area for handling performance. Touring tread designs were designed to bridge the gap between All-Season & Performance tires. Touring tread designs combine the technology for good treadwear characteristics from All-Season tires and handling & grip associated with Performance tires. Touring tires also exhibit very good Tire Noise and Ride Comfort.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treadwear Performance vs. Grip/ Handling/ Traction Performance...

The treadwear-traction trade-off has been a focus in Tire Performance-Enhancement Technology for decades. Tire companies have been trying to reduce the trade-off between treadwear & traction through the development of new rubber, new tread designs, and new tire construction techniques. Basically, a tire will wear-out quickly if it is providing maximum grip to the road. This is due to the tread rubber being torn from the tire (on a microscopic level), while it is adhering to the road surface. An excellent treadwear tire minimizes the amount of rubber being removed at the road surface; thus providing long tread life, but less road gripping traction.

Tire Speed-Rating ("S","T","H","V","W","Y","Z")

A common Trade-Off for higher Speed-Rating is reduced Ride Comfort. An "S" Speed-Rated tire will give a more comfortable Ride compared to "H" Speed-Rated tire, and a "H" Speed-Rated tire will give a more comfortable Ride compared to a "Z" Speed-Rated tire. The Ride Comfort Characteristics can be attributed to the tire's Overall Stiffness. A tire capable of running at High Speeds requires a more stiff construction, in order to provide the necessary high speed stability & durability.

Tire Speed Rating Symbols:

S 180km/h or 112mph
    T 190km/h or 118mph
    U 200km/h or 125mph
    H 210km/h or 130mph
    V 240km/h or 149mph
    W(ZR) 270km/h or 168mph
    Y(ZR) 300km/h or 186mph
    ZR Above 300km/h or 186mph

A Z-Speed Rated tire without a Service Description means that the customer must consult the Tire Manufacturer to obtain the tire's Maximum Speed Capability.

Price

As with the many different levels of tread design, tire performance, and Speed-Ratings: there are many different levels of pricing within a category. For example, prices can vary from $50.00/tire to $125.00/tire depending on the brand name. When you multiply this price by 4 wheel positions, the price can become significantly high, and more difficult to justify.

High Performance Tires

High Performance tires typically have Speed-Ratings of "H" or higher; although, tire companies have developed Entry-Level performance Tires that exhibit "S" & "T" Speed-Ratings for the people that want only the "look" of Performance.

In order to maximize the most handling from a tire, the High Performance tire tread widths are wider than a typical "All-Season" and "Touring" tire. This allows Maximum Contact Area with the road surface. In this case, Wider is Definitely Better! The tread Pattern incorporates larger tread blocks for increased Stiffness. The tread compound is usually softer than a typical "All-Season" and "Touring tire, in order to provide more Dry Traction Capability. Faster Treadwear (less tread life) is generally observed in High Performance tires, because of the better Dry Traction Capability. Racing tires are an extreme example of High Performance tires; exhibiting MAXIMUM Dry Traction & Grip with a significant reduced Treadwear Life.

The stiffer construction used in High Performance tires not only Aids High-Speed Performance, but enhances tire Handling Characteristics. A High Performance tire has quick Steering Response and plenty of available Cornering Power,which makes for excellent Vehicle Handling Characteristics. Nylon Reinforcement creates a stiffer belt package, which means better Steering Response and higher Cornering Grip. Usually, the carcass plies are angled or "biased" slightly to again increase the tire's Overall Stiffness.

22. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

Speedo's tend to get a little optimistic at those speeds as well. It may read 300, but the car may actually be doing 270. Tough call, but it's a source of error anyway

23. John Doe

Then why are the "unlimited" top speeds on MBZ *65AMG models still 186mph?

I can tell you why... the damn things weigh FAR too much to go any faster than that on any tire technology in existance, that's why.

24. Leviathan

I was thinking the same thing.......

25. Leviathan

Thanks man! NOW I know about tires.

...but what about the front tires being a 225/50/16 and the backs being 245/45/16. Why is the front a lower number in one aspect, but higher in another?. I know what the "16" means. I'm guessing the "245" has to do with width (because the back is wider), but what about that other number?

26. LMAC

LMAC
    [OP]
    _

50 is the size of the sidewall

27. Leviathan

Thanks! :)

28. John Doe

That isn't entirely true.

50 is the aspect ratio, it's a percentage (ratio) based on the section-width of the tread. The one in the back has a smaller number, but the actual sidewall is going to be just the same as the front because 225 to 50 is similar to 245 to 45. Dig?

29. munky

ya he's cruisin....must have more space between their white lines....my buddy has a 92 vette, supersharged 350....the ride is blown.....we were flying on the highway last week.....blew by a cop....he came to the house later.....(the cop knows the owner quite well.....) and said he clocked us at 346 kmh.......i dont know if I believe him, our spedometer stopped long before that.....but the whtie lines did seem much more continuos than that......speeding either way though...