1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.2Tl vs Maxima SE

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Bernie, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Bernie

Bernie
    [OP]

I'm looking at a 2000 Acura 3.2 TL and a 2001 Maxima SE, 20th Anniversary Edition. Any thoughts or comments? I've only had a look at these and am taking them out for a drive later today. The TL is, of course, a 5 speed, Tiptronic automatic and the Maxima is a five speed. Both look awesome and I'm leaning toward the TL as I have always loved the car. Anything that I should look for in either of these cars other than the usual - air conditioning, brakes or other mechanical issues? How about dealing with the service departments for each? Thanks in advance.

2. John Doe

Honda's Autos in the TL aren't known for reliability. In fact the class-action lawsuit against Honda would suggest quite the opposite. Other than that, check the CV boots/joints. Those are a problem on Hondas.

As far as the Nissan, well... those cars can quite easily go to shit very quickly but from what I know the Maximas are quite nice. The resale, as with any Nissan, completely sucks.. so make sure you're getting in under the curve and that it's loaded.

3. dave_t

the maxima is a great car... tons of power... it can be expensive to fix if it ever gets damaged though... each wheel is worth $900

4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Maxima's are nice... but I think the TL wins in the look department... Personally I'd go for the Acura because of experience with Hondas... but if I were to try out a nissan, a Maxima would be a worthy car.

5. stu mccrea

As pat stated, the transmission are the only issue with the TL that requires concern. Besides that the acura is a better car in my opinion.