1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by David Puddy, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Nothing wrong with bottle feeding. You can sign up with the various manufacturers and they will send you a shit load of free stuff. The app is just a good way to track things, NOT to evaluate the quality of what you are doing and if you think that’s what you are going to do, avoid it. Parents have done without an app for thousands of years. We just used it because we didn’t think ours was feeding enough so it was a good way to have the info for our doctor.

2. Wayne

1%er

We did/are bottle feeding Nolan ... Alimentum (CMP Allergy). We did baby led weaning as soon as we possible could, so he eats a lot of stuff now, but he still has bottles we are working him off slowly.

As for the sleep training mentioned earlier, we tried a couple times, but he was either going through a leap or teething and timing was never working out. Neither of us believed in CIO for more than 5 minutes at a time...so even to this day I get up 1/2 times a night to soothe him back down (avg 4-5 hours sleep at a time). I let the wife sleep all day since she has to wrestle him all day while I work for the most part aside for a few breaks, and I handle all the overnight stuff.

KLD likes this.
  3. Wayne

1%er

Nolan was 92% for height from birth to 6 months, he's dropped off to 55% now, we'll check back with ped later but I never expected him tall. There is tall in both familes, but neither Jann or I are tall.

The one thing that sucks the most is the anxiety of having him all the time. We've had him in swimming lessons (canceled now due to covid) and we had him do a mom group thing and a bunch of babies ended up sick (now canceled due to covid as well). Even if we wanted to put him in daycare, I wouldn't and won't allow a babysitter in because of covid, so we don't get much break and he doesn't get much time with other babies. It sucks.

4. Wayne

1%er

Also, we use baby daybook app, its awesome, we have every data point from his food to bathes to his shits from the day he was born. We also follow the Wonder Weeks so we have an idea when he is in a development leap, which helps ease the fussy times, generally know why and how long they will last.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

My daughter turns 11 tomorrow. All this baby talk is giving me flashbacks to those times :puke: lol

Scott likes this.
  6. Wayne

1%er

Mine just turned one (Dec 16)

262856511_426965132312666_8444909628237778667_n.jpg

KLD, Nick84 and Grifter like this.
  7. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

All this talk about how WayneWayne is looking out for his kid and then he dresses him in Maple Leaf garb. Poor kid is scarred for life.

8. Wayne

1%er

:cryfawk:

9. C. Mike Hunt

10. Grifter

Bluh?

:pfft:

11. 17

teenage dirtbag

Nothing wrong with bottle feeding. My kid has been since day 1 for reasons I won’t get into online. She’s growing like crazy and her top percentile for height and is also turning into a tiny little chublet

LMAC, KLD and KMD like this.
  12. KLD

KLD

Oh definitely not....I just wish I had the convenience of popping a boob in whenever instead of dealing with bottles, haha. I didn't have a great supply so I did both at first, but it became too much and it was taking long to feed her so eventually I moved to pumping, then just straight formula.

Sorry for turning this into a baby thread, lol. I just hope I feel more confident as time goes on! Feels crazy that at almost 4 months I'm still guessing every day, probably from overthinking. She's gaining weight so it's working out fine, but I wish I could read her cues better instead of thinking so much about the clock.

13. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

A few more months and there won’t be any guessing required. I’m sure people have told you that you’ll miss these times soon and you thought they were nuts…you’ll miss them.

Grifter likes this.
  14. Wayne

1%er

its true, I miss tiny nolan already

15. Scott

rawr

My kid will be 14 this year....I remember posting on RC the day he was born :lol:

Nick84 and LMAC like this.
  16. LMAC

_

I think I only posted I had one lol

Scott likes this.
  17. KLD

KLD

I think there will be times I miss cute stuff about her at this age....but I will not miss feeling this way! The anxiety and depression is hard, especially when you have a baby to care for. Every day I wake up hoping for some magical instincts to kick in, but I realize it's just something that will have to develop over time and some people get the hang of it faster than others.

Grifter likes this.
  18. Grifter

Bluh?

This is accurate.

19. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

i can’t speak to the post partum side of things but yes you are 100% accurate about your feelings. They develop at different times and different speeds for everyone.

20. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

I will add my .02, but it's the same as what everyone else is reinforcing.
    I will start with, my wife had issues breastfeeding, took medication for supply, and watched her struggle through the first few months, which was heartbreaking at times. As a Dad, you can't experience what she's experiencing as far as the mental and emotional energy that is like a roller coaster, and that makes you feel helpless at times. It was irritating how many doctrines and articles she would stumble upon that would shame her if she didn't breast feed. It made me realize how many crazy mom's there are out there who are obsessed with having children...like that's their hobby. I don't think any credit is given to the dad for even existing. But i digress.
    Wonderweeks app is good (as somebody else already mentioned) for the most part. It kind of tells you what to expect.

But you're not going through what anybody else hasn't. Just dig down and tough it out and do what's absolutley necessary right now. it will get better
    sorry if that wasn't helpful. this is a rabbit hole topic and its good that you talked about it here, seems to be a lot of good feedback for your situation. GL!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    KLD likes this.
  21. Matt30

Babies sound awful

PirateSteve and Nick84 like this.
  22. KLD

KLD

Thank you! I do have the WW app actually, but I keep forgetting to check it out. yes, breastfeeding is a crazy roller coaster for some. It hurt so bad at first that I was basically scared to feed her and wanted to cry every time I heard her lips smacking in the bassinet because that meant she waas hungry, again. omg...at least that's over.

I'm lucky I have an amazing, supportive partner. I don't know how people do this alone.