2018. Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by HairyAss, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Full keto would be a miserable way to live imo.

That being said, according to facebook just buy some ketones from the first housewife on your list. They'll do everything from make you lose 60lbs to cure cancer :rofl:

Nick84 and Scott like this.
  2. Scott

rawr

That makes sense. I too am lazy. Mostly when it comes to cooking. I love cereal too, which would make Keto difficult. Oh and beer. and Pizza. Seems like to see the benefits of it, you need to be full keto though. Im sure if I tried I could do a week or two. But full time?? I also enjoy cookies. And potato chips...and many other foods :lol:

3. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I never eat cereal so that wasn’t hard. It’s only hard giving up bread when you’re going out for a burger or something. Beer, pizza, and chips are harder, but I’ve surprisingly had no cravings. I live walking distance from something like 15 craft breweries. The corner store 2 blocks from our house has a wall of cold beer as well as 10 beer on tap. There is another place I can walk to called Chuck’s Hop Shop - “The Land of 1000 Beers”. They have amazing food trucks - mostly sandwiches or stuff breaded and fried. My favorite Mexican place is called Tacos&Beer.

All to say, I needed something with some simple rules that I’ll stick to for a bit to kickstart the weight loss. The pounds are flying off. I was down 6lbs week one and couldn’t help getting on the scales this morning and it looks like another 2 already.

4. Scott

rawr

Ive read most of the weight loss comes from the caloric restriction. basically cutting the carbs just cuts out the calories = weight loss. Simple stuff.

the big question is are you healthier from it?

5. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Lower weight, lower BMI will lead to healthier overall. As I said initially, this is also about breaking some habits we've built up since moving to Seattle.

On the carbs thing - everything I've read about "being in ketosis" is that because you're not bringing in the carbs, you're directly burning fat. It's hard to tell if I'm feeling healthier yet - still pretty early. I've actually been feeling kind of gross the last couple of days, but I attribute that to the smoke in the city which has meant I haven't even been biking to work. No running either.

6. Scott

rawr

Keto flu maybe?

7. Leviathan

It's all in your mind....

I'm in the same boat - just about everyone I see says the same thing...."...you gotta start eating something". lol

I piled on most of my weight when working in bars - wayyyy too many White Russians and fast food - I was up around 230. Decided one day I was too lazy to exercise or stick to a "diet" so I tried just not eating any sugar/overly fat food. Cut out the pop, etc. and tried to eat stuff that had under 10 grams of fat per serving. Pretty much ate what I wanted, but was just mindful. Initially lost 50lbs in about 4 months, but since then, I have gone from 180 to 150 and I haven't even been as mindful as I was.

I also attribute the weight loss/not re-gaining the weight to "fasting" - I have an Instant Breakfast every morning and then don't eat again until around 10-11 at night. I eat once a day (I think there is an actual diet called "The Warrior Diet" that follows the same structure).....been doing that pretty much my whole life, it's just now I am not 230lbs and am more active (cause, well, I'm lighter), it seems I literally CAN'T gain weight.

8. clicker666

Older lifter

Exactly. This is the key to ALL the diets. The best diet is the one you can live with in the long term. Yes, it's great to do a massive cut and get rid of some pounds, but if you don't have a strategy for changing what you did initially you will gain and lose the same weight over and over and over..... In your case, changed what you were eating and how often. Boom. Weight comes off and stays off.

9. Scott

rawr

Yeah, things like Keto or Paleo and stuff, to me, it shouldnt be a few week diet, it should be a lifestyle change.

10. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I’m using Keto to force a lifestyle change.

11. Scott

rawr

and that makes sense. I really should do the same.

12. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

2 weeks since I've had a beer or touched a potato chip.

13. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I think the only "cheat" I've done since starting was when we went to the Sounders game - ordered kids some lunch and my son ordered fried clams and chips. I had *one*. In the stadium during the game, I ate the salad and boiled eggs my wife and I had brought with us. No beer either, though it was hard - Sounders were killing LA and after it got up 3-0, my wife said, "We get a beer if they go up 4-0, right?!". They eventually won 5-0, but no beer. :P

14. Scott

rawr

camping in a few weeks. Usually lots of beer lol. This is what hold me back lol. Not to say I can't eat better before then.

15. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

We got tired of looking for a window to start making the change - there is always a reason not to. We're going camping in a few weeks as well... won't be bringing beer.

Scott likes this.
  16. Scott

rawr

not sure I can do that :lol:

I usually bring Rolling Rock. Thats pretty low carb I think.

17. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

:lol:

Scotch?

18. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

My wife and I had been planning a date night before we started that we enjoy doing - home made pretzels and pick up a bunch of different mustards and beer. Find a really good movie and go to town on the pretzels, beer, and mustard. Not going to work on keto. My proposal for a new date night is "scotch and bacon". :lol:

Scott likes this.
  19. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Down another 3 lbs at weigh-in - 9lbs total over 2 weeks, not too bad. With the Achilles issues, I'm really not getting exercise so it's kind of surprising to see the weight coming off like that - really can't wait to be running again.