2018. Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by HairyAss, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Duggan

Concrete sucks, my knees can't handle it.

(yes, go ahead and make bj jokes)

2. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Half marathon coming up in 5 days. I hit my longest run at 20km just over a week ago and it was not great. I'm feeling all kinds of leg pain while running - ordered new sneakers, but I don't think they'll be here in time. I've been tapering off leading into the race, but not holding high expectations on a spectacular run.

In other news, I was officially diagnosed with Pigmentary Glaucoma this morning. Basically, pigment from the back of my iris flakes off and is blocking the ducts that control eye pressure, which can then damage the ocular nerve. Of course, as soon as I left the doctor and got to work, I googled it and found this bit of info: “Studies have found that vigorous exercise such as jogging and basketball can cause more pigment to be released from the iris, which can further block eye drainage.”

So, yay for running.

3. hank

Oh that's not great news. What's the treatment?

4. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It’s a nightly eye drop to start - go back to see if it’s effecrive enough in 3 weeks, and look at other treatments if not, including surgery. It just feels so ironic that the sports I’ve picked in my life in part to stay healthy could be contributing to this. Getting old sucks.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Were there symptoms or found during a regular checkup?

6. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Oh, on the running front - did 10k yesterday and felt really good during and after. It wasn't as fast as I'd been doing earlier in training but it's also taper time, so not too concerned.

7. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It was found during a regular checkup that led to a series of 3 or 4 follow-ups. During your regular checkup, the pressure in your eye should be tested. The normal range is 10-15 (not sure on the unit of measurement). They start to get concerned around 20. Mine were in the 35-40 range. It's the pressure that causes damage to the ocular nerve - the treatments are all around relieving the pressure. Make sure your optometrist is checking for pressure - they probably do and just never mention it to you unless there is something odd about it.

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah the machine that puffs into your eyeball. I get every test in the book since I had lasik

9. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Well, 1/2 marathon in the bag. It was tough - went out for a short run the day before and realized my calf was completely fucked. I went anyway to the race out of pure stubbornness. 1st couple kilometers weren’t feeling great but bearable and then it went, “ow”. Slowed, stopped a few times to stretch things out and got through the worst. Felt better for a bit and actually had a pretty decent 7-14km of the run. Then there was an insane hill - short but straight up. Everyone was walking it. Killed the calf and finished the race in pain. 2:02 which is about 10-15 minutes slower than what I wanted and my slowest 1/2 ever but I’ll take it given the circumstances.

Must have looked like I was 80 after the run. Could barely walk - had medical strap an ice bag to my calf. Good times! Compression socks and lots of voltaren after and today!

10. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Even getting to the race was a comedy of errors. 6:30am start so up early. Knew parking would be insane so drive to my office and figured we could either jump on a bus or grab a Lyft. No buses running that early so sent in for a Lyft. After about 5 minutes, get the notification that he’d arrived but there isn’t a car. Look at the map and see he had turned around and was going the other way, deserting us. Looking around, we saw some Lime bikes (bikeshare) so my wife and I jumped on and began pedaling towards the start. It wasn’t hilarious - those bikes are not meant for someone who is 6’2” and not meant to go fast. Made it to the venue and it was chaos. Had to check a bag and couldn’t find where to do that. Finally found it and my wife needed a port-a-potty. In the end, we were supposed to start with corral 3 and started with 4 instead so not too bad.

It was a huge race - did not thin out over the entire 21km. Crazy.

11. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Looking forward, on to the next challenges - let my calf heal and take a week or so off running to let everything heal really. Sign up for another 1/2 marathon for the fall, but in the summer term, really look to ramp up on cycling and pick some longer rides to tackle. With work travel and visiting relatives, it'll be tough, but my love of cycling and warmer early mornings will help. I am also going to hard commit to more core training - signing up for a gym this week.

12. hank

Pretty sure I saw a video of that hill yesterday! Didn't make the connection that you were running it. Good for you for being stubborn and finishing, hope it doesn't ruin your summer with injury

13. hank

Ran the Michelin Tire Trot 5k on Saturday. Came in third with a 19:24 which wasn't far off from my 19:15 PB from the week before and the Tire Trot was a much more challenging course.

HairyAss likes this.
  14. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

You didn't see the hill coming - sharp right turn and all of a sudden it's there with a sign saying, "King of the Hills". They even had timing mats at the bottom and top with an extra prize for fastest runners. Almost everyone was walking, though. I had one runner brush past me about 1/4 of the way up only to pretty much stop in front of me after he realised "running" was only a snail's pace faster than walking.

15. hank

The clip I saw (can't even remember where I saw it now) was just the hill and almost everyone was walking. Brutal