2018. Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by HairyAss, Jan 2, 2018.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Some mornings, I'm starving. Most, I only eat because I think it will make me less hungry through the day. I think I could skip breakfast (I'm usually so busy I almost forget anyway) without much issue. I usually try to get some exercise at lunch (that's when I ran my 10k today) and then healthy lunch. As with what I've posted before, my fall down is evening snacking, often precipitated by beer.

Running is therapy for me on top of the physical benefits. As long as I'm healthy and feeling good, I love it. I run with a group of guys from the office and one thing it's almost forced me into is stretching before and after a run which really helps (they all stretch so might as well join in instead of just standing around). Going slower sometimes helps, too, and there is one guy in the group with a heart condition who has to run slower to keep his heart rate down so I can drop back with him when I want to slow down, which is what I did today.

clicker666 likes this.
  2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I gotta have a good breakfast :o

3. Wayne

As of two weeks ago I cut out evening snacking and limited to 4 - 16 oz craft beers a weekend max. Seems to be helping. As for breakfast, I can go either way, only eat in morning half the time.

4. hank

I eat from the moment I get up to within an hour of bed time. I also move a whole bunch. 2.5 hours of cardio this morning and getting ready to take the dogs for a hike now

5. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Had a good weekend - 50km bike ride on Saturday at a good clip followed up by a 14km run on Sunday - slowish pace, felt good. I was feeling pretty good, but then played soccer against a bunch of 11 year olds and over did it, could barely walk this morning. :lol:

6. 17

teenage dirtbag

just threw 20k on the bike for the first time since oct.

i bought a spin bike for the winter but i fucking HATE it. i used it like 4 times

7. Lex Lucas

feels good.

Why don't you like it?
    Thinking of selling it?

clicker666 likes this.
  8. Arod

I wanted to dunk again, so I have been working on some explosiveness. My flat foot reach is 93" and I reached a 127" target. Works out to a 34" vertical. I still got my ups at 37!

HairyAss likes this.
  9. Wayne

I went and tested out a Specialized Rockhopper, and almost bought it, but wife really wants kayaks and with reno's I can't afford mountain bikes and kayaks this year.

10. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Run at lunch today was straight uphill and then we ended up in a stadium doing stair repeats.

Ouch.

11. 17

teenage dirtbag

I just find it boring and a chore to use. I’ll keep it because my wife likes to use it, but yeah, it’s a grind.

12. 17

teenage dirtbag

I thought I’d like mountain biking so I went out and bought a cheap norco, threw some really nice tires on it, and found out all I really cared about was riding fast. So I got a road bike instead and never looked back.

My wife uses it but it’s super heavy for her so I’m considering selling it and getting her a nice trek hybrid to make her life easier.

She also wants kayaks this year but I doubt that’s happening. She already has a SUP that hardly ever gets used

13. Bean

Breasts

I do intermittent fasting. It works quite well and I'm lean for the most part. I try not to step out of the box too much but I do make wiggle room on weekends. I also add scoops of protein into my oats since I can't stand protein shakes (it's the yogurt factor) or into a fruit smoothie (just fruit and crushed ice with some macha powder). My sugar craving gets met with mini Mars or Twix bites. I have a few of those after a workout. I like IF because it allows you to a bit more flexibility in regards to what times of day you are eating vs not eating and I find with adding muscle to a leaner body it really helps with definition while staying lean. Works for my body type.

clicker666 likes this.
  14. Sue

Sue

Started trying to get back in shape in January with a full on "I am doing this!"
    Walk an hour everyday and changed my whole diet around with cheat day on Sunday. Down 26 pounds and 20 to go to be the size I was in my 20's before kids. It is a learning experience for sure.

HairyAss, Duggan and Bean like this.
  15. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Nice work!

16. hank

5 days out to Fredericton Marathon. Last set of fartleks last night, couple of 6k's today and tomorrow and ready to race on Sunday.

Managed to drop another 8 or 9 lbs (174 this morning) and the ankle is 85-90%. Looking forward to the weekend

clicker666 likes this.
  17. Duggan

Shoulder is finally better and my ribs don't seem to be popping out of place anymore. Going to jump back on the fitness train. I will post some data in here for accountability.

Beaker and clicker666 like this.
  18. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You should have played ball hockey with us when you were back in hfx :p

19. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Getting back to ramping up run mileage - 15k on the weekend and upping weeks during the week up to the 10k range (up from typical 6k's).

clicker666 likes this.
  20. Duggan

You play with Fathead and Goodie. I might have to join the ranks when we decide to move back.

21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yup. It's a great time. Solid group of fellas!

22. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Wednesday did a 10k at race pace. Really felt it at the end of the run. Thursday, the guy I was heading out running with proposed a 10k route and we headed out. We were chatting the whole time so I wasn’t paying attention to pace. I was really feeling my legs around 7k and would have slowed down if I was on my own but kept going. Get back, realized we had done race pace again. Two days in a row.

I need a break today but making me feel good that my cardio is doing so well.

23. Scott

rawr

twss?

24. Duggan

25. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Having solid cardio feels amazing. Been playing so much sports the past few months I can go forever :brows:

26. hank

Man it was hot at the end of the marathon today. Finished with a 3:30:13. Nearly died doing it :eek3:

HairyAss, Heather and Boots like this.
  27. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Nice job, hankhank !

hank likes this.
  28. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Did 17k Sunday morning - didn't feel as good as the 15k run the week previous, but still made it through without pain. I realised at around the 12k mark that part of my issue was just that I've forgotten about food during the run. I haven't bought gels or chews in a while. I was just feeling borked. It has also started to push 30 celsius in Seattle recently so I should have probably brought some water with me as well.

29. clicker666

Older lifter

I dare say! I'm surprised you managed to push through without some nutrition/hydration. Still envious as at 5k I would have been like, call me an uber, I'm done.

30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Started summer league hockey last night. Playing at Stadacona where the gym is 3x the normal gym I play in. Spent today. My legs are toast

31. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

10k's, even in heat, I don't generally need any hydration or fuel, though I will pound back water as soon as I'm done. Over that and I need something. I'd honestly just forgotten about that side of things as it's been so long since I've trained for a 1/2 marathon.

32. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

my cardio is fucking terrible. gonna try to start jogging again in the mornings. aiming to give myself a goal to get out of bed eariler and get off to work quicker

33. Gooch

I just finished the 12 week Tapout program.
    Good workout routine.
    My mobility and cardio are up and feel great. I am not "ripped" but at about 15%. In my 40's with two kids makes it hard to really get ripped

34. Wayne

I spare in a summer group, we play in a full size arena on the concrete. It's fucking tiring.

35. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

This is a wood floor... it may as well be concrete... ouch