2018. Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by HairyAss, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Gooch

yeah I just tried the same thing and it says I am under 12% hahah
    I would add a good 7% to that number

2. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I'm about the same as I was. I actually dropped, but then it's been roller coaster. Good timing for the question - woke up this morning feeling I need to re-commit to the plan. Just back in from a 7k run, back on MyFitnessPal.

Too many good restaurants in Seattle and too much work travel that involves being out with customers/co-workers drinking beer...

3. Wayne

No offence taken, it's a fucked calculator lol. I would guess I am around 25-27%

4. Gooch

Yeah 12% i would consider close to ripped

5. Gooch

Ok.....what were you?

6. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

~230. 6'2"

7. hank

Marathon training is bullshit. Just passing the 80k/week mark and not dropping weight as planned because I'm starving all the time and can't stop eating. Just over 8 weeks to go so need to hammer out my meal prep to meet my goals.

8. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Most people I've talked to gain weight training for a marathon. Careful trying to go the other way!

9. hank

At the end of the day it's about leaning out vs losing weight I guess. @6'3ish 183 currently expecting to be somewhere in the 170's leaned out. Extra 5 lbs is a lot to carry for 42k ;)

10. Daliah

I gained weight during my marathon training. I thought I would drop. Didn't work that way because I was hungry all the time.

11. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

At 6'2", 230lbs, I can't remember the last time I was 180, never mind 170!

12. hank

I was 210-5 January 2017 and mid 170's in the fall. Hoping better meal prep will get me where I want to be by May :x:

13. clicker666

Older lifter

This is a pretty accurate picture. If you are muscular the BMI is generally a poor testing method - when I did physicals for entry candidates in the military we'd get muscular guys who were around 15% or so failing the BMI. We'd have to write an note to the file indicating they were muscular.
    [​IMG]

14. Wayne

I would say I am closer to the 20-22% category based on that. A year or so ago I was definitely 30-32%...I remember that belt bending, underwear band folding period well.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  15. clicker666

Older lifter

That's not bad, it does give you something to work with, and your progress is great! Ultimately I go by the mirror and my feelings of inner loathing. If I want to stab myself I'm too big, if I want to spend more time looking at myself, I'm in the right neighborhood. :) I too was once about 35% - I lost over 12" of gut and chest/back fat. While I still put on weight from time to time I'm more muscular than I was back then, and know all the tricks for dropping the weight now. It's just maintaining the willpower.

On the bright side you really need to do nothing more than a little weight training to help hold onto some mass, and cut a few calories out to drop some fat. If your heart health isn't wonderful throw in some cardio. Fat loss = eating.

16. Wayne

Thanks for the tips, I certainly need to use my home gym. All my exercise comes from external exercise/sports, but I have a gym I could be using or add gear to. You can see I don't use the weights by the 5lbs on there lol.

IMG_20171110_092746418.jpg

17. clicker666

Older lifter

That's how I started many years ago. By the time I retired that bar with the concrete weights I had it full to the end lol, shy of 300 lbs. Then I bought an Olympic set and started working my way up from there. If you want to build some muscle start doing the work - I see some stuff there you could use to get going.

Kettlebell is great for kettlebell swings (they really target your glutes), and kettlebell squats (good for developing flexibility, "core", and quads). Barbell is obviously good for bench, deadlift, overhead press, and front and back squats.

I used to do dips on my treadmill.

18. Wayne

I won't lie, I am scared shitless of the rower. I used it the day after I bought it and obviously used it too long or at too much resistance...I couldn't move for 3 days, but it never hurt until the next day. My core was wrecked. I would like to get back into it and figure out whats a good amount that doesn't kill me after the fact.

19. clicker666

Older lifter

https://www.rowingmachine-guide.com/example-workouts.html Rowers are supposed to be good cardio. I'm thinking of doing the bike again since I almost had another hamstring tear on Monday, just around the 5 week mark for my cardio walk running program. I wanted to try rowing, but it's kind of pricey for the gear, but I thought it would be a good way to hit my back as well as my legs and heart.

Wayne likes this.
  20. Bean

Breasts

This is pretty accurate. Last August I was at 25-26% and had about 10 lbs to lose. I set that goal and lost the 10 lbs. Now I've switched focus and am working on leaning out and gaining muscle. Currently sitting at 20% body fat and have more muscle definition than I've had in years. Gained 2 inches of thigh and ass. lol. So now with the switch, I'll gain some healthy weight back and focus less on the scale. Eating within my macros, less alcohol and less shit foods helps immensely! For once in my life, I like working out :)

21. Scott

rawr

pics of 2" of thigh and ass? :kekeke:

22. Bean

Breasts

Not a chance! Maybe post a progress pic in the summer when I'm a year into this.

Scott likes this.
  23. clicker666

Older lifter

^This. Otherwise you just end up being one of those people that eat less and less and do more and more cardio. It's so hard for people to accept that you will gain a bit of weight once you start weight training, but the payoff in appearance is much higher than just endlessly walking on the treadmill. That, and "I don't want to get all bulky and muscular". ugh. If it was that easy everyone would be bulky and muscular.

Note: I'm not saying cardio doesn't have it's place, especially for smaller ladies who have tiny daily calorie intakes (and of course, heart health). For most men, and larger women, you can get your fat to go away by simply eating less and the caloric expenditure from cardio is fairly low unless you are doing hours of it. Women who have intakes of say 1200-1500 calories a day may see the benefit of that 200-300 calories over the span of a week, because at that point you are eating so little it just becomes cruel to take away more food.

24. Bean

Breasts

100% agreed. I killed cardio for 4 months to lose the 10 lbs. Now I've got a bit of it in my routine but mostly weight training at this point. I expect to go right up up to the weight I was before, which I accept, as it will be muscle mass vs unhealthy fat. I'm slowly creeping back up the scale and have quite a bit more definition to showing than before. I eat more and feel so much better!

clicker666 likes this.
  25. hank

Rolled my ankle at some point and had to skip some runs last week while I got some adjustments and let it rest. Banged out 35k this morning and feeling pretty good!

Heather and HairyAss like this.
  26. Duggan

I had a subluxation of two ribs in my upper back, bone bruising and fucked rotator cuff from getting cross checked into the end boards playing hockey. Its been a month and even with physio it has been shitty and can't lift much. I need to stop using it as an excuse and at least ride the bike, do legs and core.

I can't use the rower or do much upper body at this point.

27. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Getting back on track - 10k on Sunday, 6k hills today. I need to get a training schedule today as I'm still pretty sporadic, but feeling really strong so that's a good sign at least. Re-committed to calorie tracking on MyFitnessPal this morning - going to be tough with Seattle Restaurant Week starting up and my wife wanting to participate and then a week in Vegas next week so we'll see. It's been tough getting out on the bike as much as I'd like - weather has not been helping. Was planning a long ride on Sunday and weather forecast looked good, but then turned to rain and even some hail.

28. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

the time has come for me to get on this bandwagon. i had been doing so good in the fall then christmas happened. I weighed 195lbs mid-decemeber and was at 215 when i started in October. Since Christmas i've put on 30lbs. I now weigh 225. Its gross. My girlfriend claims she doesn't notice but that's what shes supposed to say. Anyways. i started changing things up a couple of days ago as far as food to start. I'm eating breakfast again, and paying special attention to my eating habits in the evenings, especially when i get home from work.
    plan is to drop 50lbs with no real time limit. I was my trimmest and fittest at 180 and that was only 6 years ago
    I'm 32 , 6' and 225

29. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Intermittent fasting made the weight fall off me. I don't eat anything after I have my supper (I'll break the rule once, sometimes twice a week). I'm actually at the point now where I'm looking at doing some lifting or something to put on some muscle since I don't really have much body fat at all. I feel super healthy but I do get comments that I'm too skinny (mostly from people who are overweight :mad:)

30. clicker666

Older lifter

IF is pretty well my go-to diet as well. I find it very easy to skip breakfast and ensure my last low cal snack is before 8 pm. I workout at 11:30 am so that gives me a pretty big fasting window.

If you're already super lean just toss a scoop or two of protein powder into your day and do some heavy lifting - something straightforward like 5x5.

Boots likes this.
  31. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The nice thing about intermittent fasting is that it eliminates that useless evening snacking that does nothing but make you fat.

32. clicker666

Older lifter

I usually have a few scoops of Chapman's sorbet to beat down the sugar craving while minimizing calories. (60-80 cals a serving, the entire 2 l container has under 1000 cals)

33. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Hadn't really heard of IF. I kind of follow that sometimes anyway but have always felt a good/healthy breakfast helps the day. I might look into it.

Outside of weight loss, which I'm still trying to kick into gear somehow, the running without injury is going well. Ran 10k at lunch today, felt slow as hell, but intentionally. Turns out feeling slow as hell translates into what used to be fast for me, so I'll take it. Starting to ramp up my weekend runs again as well - will tackle 15k on Saturday or Sunday and also get out for a good bike ride (~50k) some time as well.

hank likes this.
  34. clicker666

Older lifter

In my case I really couldn't care less about eating breakfast. I was always a coffee and cigarette guy. I just eat because, that's what we do. Your running is awesome! I'm envious!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  35. hank

Ankle injury was not fully fixed. Had to take some time off and do some pool running and bike for low impact cardio. Back to running now and feeling better but still some pain after running hard last night.

Still hoping to keep it together to get through the marathon in 3 weeks :ohnoes:

HairyAss likes this.