The More You Know: 2012 Metro Transit strike

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by C. Mike Hunt, Jan 22, 2012.

1. unidentifiable

meow

I agree with you boots. Stang, it's when other groups have the same mentality that you do and do something about collectively it has a positive impact. When people are angry about the drivers being paid too much and complain and fight for a raise in their pay, everyone slowly gets more money. Those bus drivers that now have more disposable income, are going to spend it, probably where some of you work. Consumerism wont be hated on when the bus drivers spend their $4,000 bonus, no one will complain about their raise when it's being spent in the local economy.

2. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

When you drive a BUS and roll up for strike duty in a Cadillac SUV - somethings wrong.

3. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

That 4 grand is taxpayer money - I'm sure HRM would benefit more if it was still in the HRM budget rather than in Bubba the bus drivers pocket. Bubba gonna get him a flatscreen. Benefit not found.

4. Gerald

Stang, why don't you go ahead and tell us who else is overpaid?

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Do you keep a list of certain jobs that aren't worthy of a reasonable salary or is this just something you make up on the fly?

6. unidentifiable

meow

Flatscreen gives commission to George, George buys a new blackberry etc. [​IMG]

except the snowball should be getting smaller.

I agree that driving a bus isn't a 'skilled' job (meaning not requiring university) but they're being paid what some people with university degrees are being paid, but it'll all work out.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. Leroy

@danackles29

I don't care so much what they get paid, its the fact I am paying them that irks me.

8. 17

teenage dirtbag

why? what is the acceptable amount of money they are allowed to spend on a vehicle? how do you know that caddy suv wasnt 28k? juding like that is completely retarded.

9. hank

I wasn't aware you needed a BA to have a "skilled" job :kekeke:

10. Scott

rawr

:werd: Thats all knee jerk reaction.

11. 17

teenage dirtbag

ok stang sorry, please disregard my earlier posts. i can clearly see you lack the brain capacity to understand the issue

12. unidentifiable

meow

I can see the point 'if you want a skilled paying job, then get a skilled job', a degree isn't required to drive a bus. I wont make $50,000 when I graduate with my degree and have to find a skilled job (a job that requires a degree). Maybe skilled isn't the right term, but for a job that has low requirements for applicants (from what I know) they are paid well.

13. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Exactly - people on here say "good for them" - like they are being paid by a private company - its tax money.

Go to this article - scroll to the comments - read and learn what the majority of people think.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/73157-halifax-transit-strike-over

"This union has caused so much grief to so many residents and now each member is being paid a $4,000 signing bonus. What a kick in the teeth to the taxpaying public. Can we get rid of this union once and for all?"

"A $4000 signing bonus? From MY money? Who do these HRM negotiators think they are? This a gross misuse of our money. These wages should be decreasing over the next few year to return to hwat they would be paid in the private sector. Call or write to your Councillor and DEMAND financial responsibility. HRM managers and Councillors have ensured that they get top pay for a so-called tough job and its time they earned it."

"Welcome back from your paid vacation ATU. I read somewhere that drivers are worried over feedback from it's passengers, well that's a given. Especially since the ones that are being effected by your tantrums are the ones you rely on you the most like the seniors, students & low income people who are now going to have to dig a little deeper for their fares. I hope you enjoy that new boat or that trip with our money.

On a side note, I really hope that all this extra money thrown at you will give your staff an attitude adjustment. I took (past tense) the bus everyday back and forth to work and a lot of the drivers either just grunt at you when you get on or say nothing at all or just have a general attitude probelm. I'm hoping that if we have to pay more for a less than adequate service it can be done with a smile on your overpaid faces!!!!"

14. unidentifiable

meow

Maybe I'd care more if I paid more taxes, and maybe I'd care less if I took the bus less. I'm sure that the 40,000 university students (out of the 96,000 daily riders) are happy about it though.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  15. hank

I understand what you are getting at but it sounded like you thought University was the only way to obtain a skilled job. Many skills are learned through colleges, apprenticeships, etc

16. unidentifiable

meow

Sorry, university was an umbrella term, meant to include them too.

17. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Sorry you lack the brain capacity to understand what the the 99% that write letters to the editor, call in to radio stations and post comments on the Herald website have the common sense to see.

18. unidentifiable

meow

Yeah, because he's speaking from his own opinion instead of summarizing thousands of other peoples.

19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

For every 1 person complaining, there are probably 10,000 people who aren't.

20. 17

teenage dirtbag

Sorry you lack the brain capacity to see the issue and gain your own opinion through unbiased facts instead of reading what other opinions are and following the herd of retarded sheep

21. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Those are the people that have given up and are used to getting screwed by the Government ... maybe they are the smart ones.

22. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Maybe they are also the people who realize that shitting on someone else's salary for being too high hurts all of us.

23. 17

teenage dirtbag

those comments are retarded. if an atu member is going on vacation or buying a boat, they could have afforded it before the strike.the signing bonus 3mil, and they said last years overtime was even more than that, so really arent the tax payers saving money? sure the transit fares may go up, but that doesnt affect me.am i wrong here?

24. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Sorry you lack the brain capacity to see that I have formed my own opinions after reading everything I've seen on the issue - and I was merely posting that from what I've seen the vast majority feels the same way.

25. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

OK OK - you people are right a dude that drives a bus totally earns and deserves 60 - 80 grand of the taxpayers money.

My bad.

26. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The people earning 60K have been there for the majority of their working career. Do you think they should just cap the salary at 40K and that's what they'll earn for the rest of their life?

27. 17

teenage dirtbag

this agrument is meaningless

28. Leroy

@danackles29

wow, suddenly a bunch of transit worker nut riders around here. Funny when this thread started it was all about how they made too damn much to drive a bus

29. 17

teenage dirtbag

not riding nuts at all. just pointing out a few things.

30. MRA

MRA

The raise was always on the table...so was the signing bonus......the union caved to the rostering which if the city is right and reduces overtime then there is no need for a fare increase...or tax increase

4K after tax is peanuts anyway

31. Jenn

Left Shark

It's 96,000 total TRIPS per day, not riders. If you take the bus 4 times, you get counted 4 times.

32. TyTryon

Yes. If they want to make more they should change careers or get a post secondary education.

33. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Good to see some people have common sense.

34. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I know the number 60K/year has been thrown around. I don't consider that to be a huge amount of money considering the cost of living these days.

35. Wayne

It's not unless both parts of a couple are earning $60k